PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I can't get my wheels off!

Zac Weidner
12-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I am trying to get my wheels, tires, brakes, and everything off in order to repaint and recover the gear legs. I cannot get them off. There are 3 nuts on the outboard side of the gear (same area as the valve stem), which all 6(3 on each gear) bolts spin as I try to remove them. Also, about half of the bolts on the inboard side of each gear bolts spin. They were rusted, but were the ones that did come loose were not all that tight. I'm 99% sure that I did not break the bolts. I am not familiar at all with any of the internal parts of the gear and would like a picture of the inside of the cleveland original brakes/wheels and some help getting them off.

Thanks a bunch.

Zac Weidner

Steve Pierce
12-13-2008, 05:29 PM
There is one big nut on the axle that allows the wheel to come of the gear. Then you can get to the back side of the wheel bolts.

Student Pilot
12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Brakes off first (if discs) then a split pin and the big nut as Steve said.

Glen Geller
12-13-2008, 06:10 PM
The best investment you can make in your bird is a Piper Illustrated Parts Manual, and the Piper Drawings CD from http://www.swpc.org,
then you can look at the assemblies and clearly understand them before undertaking any service.
Remember to disconnect the flex brake lines from the underside of each leg so you can remove the legs. If they are old looking replace them with the latest high-pressure versions (Univair etc.)
How are you supporting your plane while the wheels & legs are off? Be careful to support it securely so it won't fall down and cause any sadness. Full gas tanks make it harder to lift....

GG

jay heil
12-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I hope you're not trying to take those nuts off with air in the tire, they are to hold the 2 wheel halves together not to take the wheel off the airplane be safe I can for see you getting all the bolts off and then all of a sudden the wheel blows ,,,, not really that much pressure in them but i did have the pleasure of seeing a split rim on a truck explode [which surly is more dangerous ]but....... i can still see bad things happening

Zac Weidner
12-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks, I have the legs off for the restore and am just now getting to them, since my fuselage fabric is done. I think I put a picture of my rotating fixture in the photo album. It is just something I made out of wood. It works well, and fastens to the engine mount. The rear just rests on a plain sawhorse. I do have the drawings CD but I don't think that is one of the drawings, but I might have just missed it.

Glen Geller
12-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh, the plane is apart and the legs are free but the wheels still on. Needed the full picture.
1) Remove cotter key from axle, unscrew axle nut and pull wheel off. Reinstall axle nut to protect the threads.
2) Remove three screws from felt-seal/bearing retainers, later you can repack the bearings and replace the felt seals with new.
3) All air out of tire, stand on tire but not on wheel to break the bead loose both sides, then wrench on both sides to remove (3) nuts & bolts, and drums & rings. A few gentle smacks maybe with a rubber mallet should free the wheel halves, easy don't damage the rims!
4) If wheels won't separate, weep a little penetrating oil (I like Mouse Milk) into the seam. Use a hand pump to add a little air, don't use compressor at 50psi or you may die.
If your wheels look as crappy as most of them do, thoroughly clean them (maybe gentle bead blasting, protecting inner faces) and/or paint them to look nice for a season or two.

All of these assemblies are in the Piper Illustrated Parts Manual, I guess the CD is 'just' the fabrication of the parts like building the fuselage etc.