PDA

View Full Version : Piper Restoration Seminar in Graham, TX

Steve Pierce
12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
We have been having a Piper Restoration Seminar in my shop in Graham, TX for the last three years. It is always a lot of fun, we get to meet a lot of folks and learn a lot. The first year we had Clyde Smith come and do his thing. We had 20 plus people and we all learned a lot. The next year several folks wanted to get their hands dirty so we covered a set of wings and last year we covered a fuselage along with changing bungees and a Slick magneto tutorial. It is a great opportunity to meet new people and learn or teach a thing or two. I have three Clippers going back together along with a Tri-Pacer being disassembled so there are lots of Short Wing projects to look at. The weekend of Feb. 14-15 and 21-22 looks real good for us with the week in between for even more fun. Got a set of Super Cub wings ready to be put together, trammeled, tip bows, leading edges and false spars installed. Got a request to cover some stuff in Stewart's system and I was thinking of a tail wheel dis-assembly, inspection and assembly tutorial. SJ has volunteered to take folks on some river bar excursions on the nearby Brazos River and we are gonna sucker him into checking Cathy out in an airplane with the wheel on the right end. So let us know what you think. It is always fun and usually a lot warmer here than in other parts of the country so if you want to take a break and have fun doing it consider coming and playing with some rag winged Pipers.

Here are some threads on previous seminars:
First:
http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8355

Second:
http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11793

Third:
http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15045

jay heil
12-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Ive been reading with interest about you're seminars since the first one hopefully if I still have a job at that time I can make it this year i guell we will see how things go

rmalone
12-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Count me in Steve. I will probably talk my better half in to coming also. Maybe I can bring a control surface or something and cover with you looking over my shoulder.

Frogdad
12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Let me know the cost and schedule. I would like to come.

Cathy Pierce
12-14-2008, 09:25 PM
The weekend of Feb. 14-15 and 21-22.

We would like for plenty of people to show up and have fun, so we are charging $150 per person if you want to come one weekend and $250 per person if you want to come both weekends.

Tripacer76D
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Steve, I'd love to get some hands-on experience in re-covering using Stewarts, Stits, or anything else for that matter. Count me in!

Jim K
Tripacer76D

Steve Pierce
01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Looking forward to it Jim.

Cathy Pierce
01-07-2009, 07:42 AM
The weekend of Feb. 14-15 and 21-22.

We would like for plenty of people to show up and have fun, so we are charging $150 per person if you want to come one weekend and $250 per person if you want to come both weekends.

The dates of the seminar should be Feb. 13-15 and 20-22. It usually runs from Friday-Sunday with people showing up on Thursday afternoon.

Cathy Pierce
01-10-2009, 11:05 AM
If you are planning on coming to the seminar, please take the survey found here:

Click Here to take survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=S4DRZXi4N3_2fQ774_2bTkHF8A_3d_3d)

Cathy Pierce
01-10-2009, 01:50 PM
For those who intend on coming to the seminar, here are the available hotels in Graham:

Gateway Inn 940-549-0222
Mention Steve Pierce and get a group rate of $41 single or $48 double or king. Complimentary continental breakfast, wireless hi-speed internet.

Best Western 940-521-0190
$89. Free hot breakfast, free hi-speed internet, AAA & AARP discounts.

Executive Inn 940-549-8320
$46 single or $48 double. Free hi-speed internet, free continental breakfast, AAA & AARP discounts.

I don't know anything about these hotels, but I do know that people from the previous years have preferred the Best Western over the other two.

Frogdad
01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
What time does the seminar start on Friday?
I'm trying to decide if I should get a room for Thursday night or just drive up Friday morning (2 1/2 hours).

Also I would be glad to pick up anyone flying into DFW if we can coordinate the timing.

Thanks

Don

Steve Pierce
01-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Don. Start around 9 am. Some folks are still jet lagged. 2 years ago Vicki from Fairbanks got caught power napping after a red eye flight. :lol:
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//749/medium/Image010.jpg

Cathy Pierce
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
We have 3 weeks until the seminar starts. For those of you who are considering coming or know for sure you are coming, please take a moment to fill out the following survey if you haven't done so already. This will give us a better idea of how many people to expect and when people will most likely be in Graham. Thanks! We are looking forward to having a wonderful time.

Click Here to take survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=S4DRZXi4N3_2fQ774_2bTkHF8A_3d_3d)

Steve Pierce
01-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Well we are getting closer. I have already started cleaning the hanger. :shock: Hope it will stay clean between now and the seminar. :? Got lots of folks signed up and looks like it is going to be an interesting crowd. Bill Duncan of Alaskan Bushwheels will be here through the week. AK Bushwheels are the manufacturer of the ABI-3200 Tailwheel Assembly which is an FAA-PMA direct replacement for Scott 3200 Tailwheel along with the Famous Alaskan Bushwheels ranging in size from 26" up to 35". :o Bill is an interesting individual with a lot of experience flying Pacers and Maules in the Idaho back country and Alaska. I always enjoying visiting with him. We have several Clipper, Pacer, Tri-Pacer and Colt owners signed up along with some of those Super Cub outlaws. :D We are all looking forward to a fun week. :D

Steve Pierce
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Well Jason Gerard with Stewart's System http://www.stewartsystems.aero/ confirmed he will be here the middle of next week for the second weekend. Shaping up to be a very fun and informative seminar. Got quite a few Short Wingers signed up and really looking forward to a fun time. Will post pictures for those who can't attend.

Steve Pierce
02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Big box came yesterday from Univair. Will pass out the goodies. Thanks Mike and Jim. ;)

Steve Pierce
02-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, Bush Angel Mark drove 1000 miles from Phoenix and was the first to arrive yesterday afternoon. The big cheese, Steve Johnson (SJ) arrived about 5 pm after a 5 hour non-stop flight from Kansas City. We followed his flight via his SPOT on the internet. That is a neat gadget. We all got to visit a while in preparation for the weeks festivities. My brain kick on at 4 am this morning so I am off to the hanger to get something done. Looking forward to seeing everyone here and will take lots of pictures and update this thread for those that can't make it.

Steve Pierce
02-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Well we are having a blast. Good mix of Sort Wingers and Super Cubbers. Seems the local paper didn't realize that the hanger is full of Short Wings and not Super Cubs and there is a bunch of BS in here that was instigated by one of my nut case friends from the eat coast. http://www.grahamleader.com/news/get-ne ... t-news.asp (http://www.grahamleader.com/news/get-news.asp?id=14920&catid=1&cpg=get-news.asp) Well off to the hanger to start the coffee. :D

Steve Pierce
02-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Big day. Trammeling wings, installing leading edges, covering tail feathers, repair and welding fuselages along with some great flying and ride hooping.[attachment=3:1wgodnr0]100_0453 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:1wgodnr0][attachment=2:1wgodnr0]100_0454 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:1wgodnr0][attachment=1:1wgodnr0]100_0461 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:1wgodnr0][attachment=0:1wgodnr0]100_0462 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:1wgodnr0]

Clayton Harper
02-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Sorry I couldn't be in Graham for the Seminar. How is it going? Post some pics, please.

Steve Pierce
02-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Clay, Will post some more pictures later, been so busy I haven't taken a whole lot. :shock:

pistoncan
02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Sure looks like a great time. Wish I could be there too! Will any of it be videoed and available? Gary

Stephen
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm waiting for the excitement and intertainment that you provided last year.

Steve Pierce
02-16-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm waiting for the excitement and intertainment that you provided last year. :?: You lost me there Stephen. :lol:

Been having a ball. Nice to see Clippers, Pacers and Tri-Pacers mixed in with the Super Cubs and the drivers as well. :lol: Got Steve Johnson up in the 160 hp Tri-Pacer yesterday. He has been instructing Cathy in the Pacer for her tail wheel endorsement. There is so much going on you just have to decide what you want to do. Jess Parker is a 21 yr. old A&P student who is flashing back memories of my weekends spent working for the Confederate Air Force when I was in A&P school. I'll see him with DW watching him weld on his fuselage, then he is helping trammel a wing, next he is in the paint booth helping cover and then he and his Dad are drilling some flaps apart to check for corrosion under the steel. fittings. He left this morning at 5 am to get to Waco for school. He let me know that he would be back next weekend with a big grin on his face. :D

Will upload some more pictures today. Off to breakfast with the guys. ;)

Stephen
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I vaguely remember an exploding bungee tool incident all caught on film.

Steve Pierce
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Nobody wants to try the Bungee tool this year. :D

Bultaco Jim
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
There was an incident at Seminar today. A fight broke out in the dirt right alongside Steves hanger between a Supercub guy and a Shortwinger. Another cub driver and another Shortwinger got into it, so there were four slugging it out. Steve tried to break it up, and got a nasty cut on the forehead before it was over. Apparently, the cub guy was needleing a couple of Shortwingers about how much better the S.C.s perform. But when the S.W.er reminded everyone that for three times the price it ought to have three times the performance, not be slower and only carry two people; and that such a choice reflects on the intelligence of the cubbies, it was too much for one of them. The police took the offending S.C. guy away.
This fight spoiled what would have been a fun and educational event. Steve said he's through hosting the event, and there's word that the event will move to John W.s place next year.

(the above report was not confirmed by anyone reliable.)

Steve Pierce
02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Jim, Not even close. :D Everybody is too busy flying each others airplanes and working on others. We even had a Husky fly in and fly with us. :shock:

Stephen
02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Geez Steve...a Husky...next you'll be allowing Cessna's.

JohnW
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't get it.

rmalone
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, I am bringing my bungees, among other things :twisted: See ya on Thursday or Friday.

Stephen
02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't get it.

Come on John.......nothing gets by you. You, who corrects my spelling, which I might add is my wife's job.

Steve Pierce
02-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Geez Steve...a Husky...next you'll be allowing Cessna's.

Actually the were two Cessna 180s but Lee doesn't call them spam cans like all the other Cessnas. The Husky actually has Super Cub landing gear on it. Pretty cool modification we did recently.

Looks like I'll be wingless for a while as my friend backed out on the Clipper. I guess I am going to have to get off my butt and finish mine.

Stephen
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
"Actually the were two Cessna 180s but Lee doesn't call them spam cans like all the other Cessnas. The Husky actually has Super Cub landing gear on it. Pretty cool modification we did recently.

Looks like I'll be wingless for a while as my friend backed out on the Clipper. I guess I am going to have to get off my butt and finish mine."

A Husky with SC landing gear is interesting, but a Cessna with SC landing gear.....would be something!

Steve with nothing to fly??? can't be....

rexandkim
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Who's ready for some of my hubby's famous BBQ that he is bringing this weekend??? He was up all night smoking it and it is GOOOODDD. We had some scrambled eggs with brisket. YUM. :P As Rex would say: 'makes you wanna slap your momma'. I'm not sure I like that statement.......

Gilbert Pierce
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
There were two Cessners there too. Steve just didn't get them in the picture for some reason.

Steve Pierce
02-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Fly out to a friends ranch today.
[attachment=2:37w2ji0k]100_0556 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:37w2ji0k][attachment=1:37w2ji0k]100_0548 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:37w2ji0k]
We got back to Graham to a new arrival.
[attachment=0:37w2ji0k]100_0571 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:37w2ji0k]

Steve Pierce
02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Man what a week. More fun than anyone should be able to have. Great brisket provided by Rex and Kim. Great Stewart System demonstration by Jason Gerard. Rex and Kim got on there way to covering their airplane. I think Don worked on a little bit of everything from wings to floor boards. It was great time, I hope everyone else had as much fun as Cathy and I did. As I recuperate I will post more.
Don and John prepare to trammel a Colt wing.
[attachment=2:110fi9ak]100_0464 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:110fi9ak]
Cathy gets here tailwheel endorsement in the Pacer.
[attachment=1:110fi9ak]100_0587 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:110fi9ak]
Jason demonstrates the Stewart's Fabric System.
[attachment=0:110fi9ak]100_0607 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:110fi9ak]

Steve Pierce
02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Don's Pacer next to the Bushwheel Mobile.[attachment=0:8evl1k75]100_0639 (Medium) (2).JPG[/attachment:8evl1k75]

Stephen
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Don should try on some Bushwheels on his Pacer.

rexandkim
02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Here are some pixs I took. Steve and Cathy put on a great seminar. It was a great collection of minds and everyone shared ideas and thoughts. They also had shirts - so....been there, done that....bought the shirt.

:D

rexandkim
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
More

rexandkim
02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
and more

Bultaco Jim
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Great pictures.. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one to start laughing at the bungee fitting pictures; after last years reaming about no safety goggles!

rmalone
02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Ever seen a bungee removed from a hydrosorb without cutting it off so it can be reused...................? I now know it can be done :lol: