PDA

View Full Version : Pitot tube upgrade?

Todd
12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm on the verge of recovering my PA 22/20 wings and taking a long last look at the structure. I've never been overly impressed with the weeny pitot tube set-up and wonder if there are any sturdier options. This is not an IFR platform, so not looking for a heated version, just a tad more substantial base plate and pitot retrofit.

JohnW
12-15-2008, 07:16 AM
I have never seen or heard of a problem with the weeny little pitot tube that Piper put on these airplanes. I HAVE seen problems with "homemade replacement" pitots where people "lost" or misplaced (or never GOT one when they bought a project). Piper used a STEEL plate (disc) as a base and a copper tube for the mast. They SILVER-soldered the two together. In "troubleshooting" the problem replacements I have seen, I firmly believe that the ease with which the solder melts that they were fabricated using "plumber's" solder (60/40 or 50/50). A couple even had COPPER mounting plates! I would say that a even a properly fabricated replacement is perfectly serviceable, and I see know rhyme or reason to "upgrade the installation" for VFR use by "beefing it up". Needing "heat" would be a whole different discussion. This would just make the unit "larger in profile", which would result in higher drag on the mast and greater load on the structure supporting it. You're looking at INDUCING problems, rather than "preventing them" (since they don't actually exist).

They don't "change shape periodically" or require ANY "maintenance", as built. They STILL don't, even with the "bugstopper dealie" hanging on the end of it (an addition that I consider "mandatory"). I applaud your "attention to detail" but I honestly don't see this as an issue. More may be better (and maybe not) but this weeny little piece has little or no history of having problems. Really, I highly recommend you KISS and have faith. :D

Steve Pierce
12-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Only problem I have had is when someone runs into it and bends it. I go bend it back straight and fly home. ;)