PDA

View Full Version : Xmit switch

Jetfever
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Who has the best/ cleanest push to talk switch for a Yoke/ control wheel?

I am using a velcro "big square" portable switch, and it is always sliding around.

Zac Weidner
01-13-2009, 05:14 PM
i saw one at Oshkosh that has a hole drilled in the yoke (towards the bottom, off to the side of the piper emblem where the metal is thinnest) and one of the small PTT buttons. A good idea, but I didn't want to drill a hole in the yokes and my switches didn't have enough threads to go through that thickness of metal. Otherwise you can set it up like I did and just put them both on the panel.

JohnW
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Here's a solution I found that I think is "optimum" for that problem. Using the "big square switch" is GREAT - if you velcro install it underneath the instrument panel just forward of the lower panel edge on the SQUARE TUBE that the yoke has it's primary stops on (right side of the yoke column, above your right knee. The push button points straight down at the floor, and is in the most "natural place" for you to reach for it with your "throttle hand". Not even CLOSE to being the nuisance you might think it would be! You would THINK that it would be "stuffed up" right there, but I'm somewhat of a "Giant, Economy Sized" person and it is WIDE OPEN under there! You don't even have to "swing your knee" even a little bit, and the SECOND TIME you operate, it becomes a "Why wasn't it ALWAYS there???". Try it for yourself...even without the switch there. Just identify the location, sit there and "make believe" you are reaching (palm up) under the panel for it, darn near right under the carb heat knob. Putting it there allows you to all but "disappear" the coiled cord, it stays absolutely rock solid, and seems like it was sized specifically to be there. Out of sight, never in the way or a distraction of any kind. Try it, you'll like it! If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'.

Glen Geller
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a standard square PTT up in the usual 10:00 position, velcroed on to the yoke as tight as practical, and then I spiral-wrapped a vinyl steering wheel cover over it pulling the lacing as tight as guitar strings. I use the fake leather, Super Sport Grip brand. It looks like black leather, one cover can be cut in two and is more than enough for both yokes. It also conceals the first few inches of the wire coming from the PTT. There's no way that button is going anywhere! And it's nice and cushy on the hands - my hangar-mate's planes, with uncovered yokes, feel uncomfortable to me now. Spoiled for $8.99!
I also used the same Super Sport Grip on the cabane struts, it gives 'em a nice finished look and you don't roast your hand climbing into the plane on a hot sunny day. No spiral wrapping the cover, just overlap the parallel edges and spiral wrap the cord. Use a few strategically placed black tywraps to keep the top/middle/bottom secure helps while wrapping the stretchy vinyl lacing cord.

Jetfever
01-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I will look into both Ideas!!!
Glenn I was thinking of trying the "Super Sport grip", I agree a thicker yoke is more comfortable on a long trip, I was concerned the wheel would make instrument flying more difficult by obscuring the gages. Notice any problem?
Steve

Glen Geller
01-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Steve, my bird is a 1955 with the instruments spread wide (not a 'sacred six' configuration as in the pic in this thread) and VFR, so no I don't have a problem. On 1956 and later they changed to the modern layout and as you can see the wheel partially obscures the instruments. It would also depend on how tall you are, seat position etc.
Maybe a good GPS like a 496 etc on the glareshield, with the appropriate fake instruments selected could represent the obscured panel gauges?

Here is a pre-'56 panel similar to mine: gallery/image.php?pic_id=209 (http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/gallery/image.php?pic_id=209) note the wheel does not cover anything important, and the panel is lower in front of the pilot. You can fly with a sub sandwich sitting level up there, if you really want to. Or meatballs if you prefer, that's why I have red carpeting, to hide the marinara sauce. The compass keeps the sandwich from rolling off onto your lap during steep climbouts. Piper thought of everything!

andya
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I formed a bracket that went around the yoke that was designed much like a Adel Clamp but used a small micro switch button as the bolt that holds it together ( this version in the picture used two small #4 or #6 screws both sides of switch to hold it together). Takes some tinkering to get it bent so as to be tight when the switch is mounted and tightened down. If it is tight it will also take some extra clamps or set of hands to install the switch and get the nut started. This one was installed 17 years and 700 hrs ago and still works. Used a coiled cord to underneath the panel and held underneath panel edge with Adel Clamp.

Jetfever
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Very nice Andya! Looks good. I was thinking of using an adell clamp in just that way. I was thinking of trying to find the "plastic only" type of clamp. I'm sure I could make one of these homemade clamps like yours. Lots of options here!

Jetfever
12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow! I like this! Found it by accident while taking a photo of the new style air vent, which I also like.

Check out the (aft side) mount for the PTT switch. If any one knows this plane I would like to know if the switch mount is "bonded" to the back of the wheel, or if there is a way to remove the "PIPER" wheel emblem , drill holes etc.

Kurts
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Now that's cool. I'm having an intercom installed in mine, now I have to start figuring out how to duplicate THAT!

Kurt