PDA

View Full Version : PA-22 Butt Rib

kawmoxer
01-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I would like to know all possible vendors for PMA approved ribs for my Colt. My butt ribs are servicable but they have a few extra holes from fairing re-drilling. Also, Is there an approved way to just replace one of the three section of the rib and if so a supplier of the sections. thanks, john

stevesaircraft(Bri)
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
John

We use Univair butt ribs. They have a wider flange and made out of thicker material. If you do it right, you can install some riv plates and use #6 screws on your fairings through the plates. Would probably require makeing new fairings to match the rib. I have also used a 3 inch wide 5052 aluminum strip bent at a 90 and flat rivited to the original rib. Make it as long as the flat of the rib. This gives a nice wide area to drill and mount screws too for the wing fairing.

Brian.

Steve Pierce
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I use Univair butt ribs because of the ease of wing root fairing installation and they hold up well. Univair ribs are also legally split at the front a rear spar to facilitate replacing a rib without disassembling the whole wing. They have doublers that rivet in place after they are cut apart.