PDA

View Full Version : Tail Wheel Mod.

coltflyer
02-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello All:
I'm new to the group and to the fantastic Short Wing Pipers. I've been flying mostly sailplanes for the past few years so getting back into power is a real treat, and I feel that the Colt (no experience with any of the other short wings) is really an under appreciated plane.. I fly a 1961 Colt that is probably as average as you will ever see. My question is this: What is the advantage to converting to tailwheel configuration and what are the steps required to do so. Thanks to you all, I look forward to reading your replies.
Larry Lively (Colt Flyer)

Bultaco Jim
02-07-2009, 12:59 PM
The advantages, are looks, (to many people), a couple of mph, (probably), and the more obscure and complicated reasons of more difficult landing and ground handling techniques that teach you some more skills. All things being equal, taildraggers are a little better at dealing with rough fields.
The Univair kit, (or series of assemblies) is the commonly purchased way to switch over. It's an expensive proposition, but if you bought your plane cheap, it's worthwhile. Both of my planes are converted. Getting a Univair catalog would be a good place to start, even if you're not converting.

d.grimm
02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Larry,
Welcome, been a while since I've been to Del Rio. Not to dissuade you, but by the time you buy toe brakes, wheels and brakes, tailwheel and conversion kit and pay to have it installed you will probably be close to the price of another plane.
Dave

coltflyer
02-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Guys........It kinda sounds like if I want a tail dragger I'd be better off selling mine and buying one that has already been converted. I really do enjoy my Colt.......I think I'll name it "FanDangle" it sure ain't no glider it just dangles on a fan :D !! Most of my power time has been in Cessna 150s & 152s but I think my Colt will out perform them hands down. I look forward to more posts and bantering with all of you. Ya'll come to Del Rio and rent one of my houseboats on one of the most beautiful lakes in the country.
Thanks A Lot
Larry

Bultaco Jim
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Larry, don't be shy about posting a photo of that lake, - we need to hear about cool destinations. And I think you're right; I spent 2 hours flying a 150 and it was a real dog compared to my Colt. What's really neat about a Colt, is, you can fly for 5 hrs and still have 45 min. of reserve,(as long as you have the two tanks). Try that in a 150. Jim

coltflyer
02-08-2009, 07:32 AM
OK, I did it, posted some photos of South texas and Lake Amistad.
Thanks Ya'll
Larry

Steve Pierce
02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Beautiful down your way Larry. My mom and dad were here in Graham several years ago for about 5 months while my dad was redoing his Clipper fuselage. I had to do a pre-purchase inspection in Fredericksburg when the blue bonnets were in bloom so I flew my mom down there with me. A fellow Short Winger met us at the airport and took her around the area while I worked and then took us for a great German lunch. Nice area. I also delivered a Super Cub to Ozona. Pretty desolate there. I want to go to Big Bend now and play around. Lots of neat places to fly in your general area.

nd_rice
02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Hello all......1st post

Now my question is, how cost effective or practical is converting the PA22 to a 22/20? That is what I'm trying to decide now. One of my reasons is to build tailwheel time in hopes of flying for one of the government agencies(Fish and Wildlife, DNR, etc...) that use tailwheel aircraft. Also, I want to earn my A&P and love to work on and modify things.

Really like the website, so far I am just reading non-stop on here. I hate to admit it but about half of the technical jargon is above my level.

Thanks for all the info and help now and in the future.

Andrew

Steve Pierce
02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Andrew, In time it will all make sense. People will say it is impractical to convert your Tri-Pacer to a Pacer but it all depends on the individual. Value is not always in what you can sell something for. My Clipper can probably never sell for what I will have in it when it is done but it will be worth the time and money to me. You will know what you have and be able to build it the way you want it. The experience will pay dividends in the future be it maintaining the aircraft or others. What you learn can never be taken away. Glad you like the site, we all learn from each other. That's what makes it a great site. ;)

Bultaco Jim
02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Andrew, my opinion is, if someone is an AI/A&P, and legal to work on all the parts of the plane, AND they get ahold of a plane that's in need of recover anyway, then it would be worthwhile to convert. If you or I wanted to do it, we probably would never get our money out of it. And there's a lot of planes out there right now, both Pacers and Converted Colts.
As for the tech jargon, it brings to mind a complicated engineers drawing of a hammer. Technical, yes. But still a hammer. Shortwings have a few more moving parts, of course, but only a few!
If I ever have an hour to spare, I always know where to go for some great informational reading..... HERE!

Stephen
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Andrew, if you can get an IA to supervise your work, rebuilding and converting your plane is an excellent project and you will get good experience towards and A&P. Look up the requirements to get an A&P sign off. They may be different than when I did mine. A large percentage of converting to a taildragger is labor. Eddie Trimmer has a cheaper conventional gear conversion for Tri-Pacers and Colts. It's cheaper because it uses extended PA-18 gear legs, which are about half the cost of Univare's Pacer gear legs. It also gets rid of the bungee shock system. You goals sound exciting, good luck.