PDA

View Full Version : OSH 2009 SWPC Type Club Parking

Brian
02-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi,
My good friend Paul Martin who fly’s a PA22 out of Ashland OR has been contacted by a VAA Type Club Parking official who is offering the Short Wings an opportunity to park in the VAA Type Club Parking area at OSH this year. For those not too familiar with OSH the VAA Type Club Parking area is in the Triangle area between the Ultralight barn and the Antique parking, and quite close to most activities. Typically they like to see a minimum of 15 to 20 planes of a certain type to qualify for this special parking. A group of us SWPC members took advantages of this VAA parking a couple years ago, and it was a real treat to be so close to the action at OSH and save the long tram / Buss rides from the South 40. Paul is not going to make it this year, so asked that the word be put out to see if there is sufficient interest to pursue this with the VAA, and also to see if anyone would be willing to head up the process of communication with the VAA to make this happen. I am planning to attend Sun N Fun this year, and not fully committed to making OSH as well, or I would consider taking the lead on this. We typically make a group arrival as well to avoid the Ripon approach headaches, and knowing we have close in parking can arrive on opening day instead of days in advance. Below is the message Paul received from VAA's Tim Fox, apologizing for last years group flight’s parking and the promise to help us this year,

Tim Writes:
"Yeah, I know, we tried something last year for the type clubs and it didn’t work out. There were a lot of people pissed about having to park south but we had left the space open for type clubs. The good news is that we learned our lesson and there will be no more reserved space on the east side of the road again. HOWEVER, here is our opportunity to re-claim our reputation. I will promise your group the first rows of type club parking on the west side of the road starting around row 74. Please mention this to your group and relay that last year was an attempt to accommodate type clubs that didn’t work. We remain committed to you and hope you will forgive and let us host you this year.

We are in the process of building a new facility on the VAA grounds (see the airventure website), and upgrading the overall accommodations o the flightline. Don’t forget to mention the display of White Knight 2 and other innovations scheduled to display this year! "
Tim

Thanks,
Brian
Pacer 26D
El Monte, CA

Zac Weidner
02-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I will most likely be coming to OSH this year, but not in a shortwing. We are just about finished with the fuselage, but have yet to cover the wings and rebuild the engine. We would love to have something like this next year at OSH (2010) to fly in with all of you. We will probably be flying in with the Comanches, as we have the last two years and hope to see many of you there. We are yellow/black/white Twin Comanche N13GP if any of you happen to walk by and see our airplane, we'd love to meet you. The color is very unique, and you can't miss it, just look for the yellow.

Brian
05-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Here is the latest information on the Type Club Parking at OSH Airventure 2009.
Brian

Hello,

Tim, our EAA parking supervisor for AirVenture 2009, phoned me on Friday May first and provided some very important information for our club.

Tim has reserved three rows of parking for the Short Wing Piper Club in the triangle. This area is just south of the EAA aircraft maintenance corral which is just south of the Hangar Cafe. The first row of parking will accommodate four airplanes and is promised annually to the president of VAA. We have the next three rows which will accommodate six then seven then eight airplanes (it is a triangle after all) for a total of 21 spaces. It is my desire to have 21 short wing airplanes in the arrival on Sunday morning, the day before official opening day of AirVenture 2009.

Tim will send the placard and detailed instructions for our arrival in three weeks. I expect that information to arrive about May 22, 2009. We will display the placard on arrival and we will be directed to the triangle area by the scooter guys. In the past years the special placard was the only item that you needed to park in the special type club parking area. However, the system was abused. This year you must have your tail number on the roster (that the scooter guys will refer to). If you have a placard and are on the list with your tail number, then you will park with us in the triangle. I have a list of pilots who have indicated an interest in the special parking area.

Tim is expecting our group to arrive on Sunday before noon. The Sunday before opening day is "arrival" day for three other type clubs but they usually arrive after our planned nine o'clock arrival time. We will have more information about this in June. If we are delayed by weather and/or the other mass arrivals, then Tim will hold our parking spaces until we do arrive on Sunday. However, starting Monday, any unused Short Wing parking spaces will be filled by VAA aircraft. If you have a problem with parking on arrival (Sunday) and the scooter guys send you to the south forty, do not despair. Taxi to a south forty parking spot and call me on the phone. I will correct any error and get you on the "approved parking list". After that, all you have to do is tell a scooter guy to reposition you to the triangle parking area. If you are NOT on the official list of arrivals then there will be nothing that we can do to get you into the reserved parking area. I will repeat this again in a later post so everyone can understand how important it is to be "on the list".

You do not need to "camp" with us to park in the reserved area of the triangle. If you have other "hotel" arrangements you may fly with our gaggle and park with us on Sunday with no problems.

Some news about the old type club tent; it is gone. There is a new "large" hangar now that will be used for the various type club displays. The large "food tent" is gone as well and there will be a "food court" in that spot. With internet access you can see all the new buildings and roads that have been built since AirVenture 2008. There is a new, more efficient "trolley" circuit. This year promises to be an exciting time at Oshkosh.

I am working with several other pilots to find an airport that we can fly out of on Sunday morning. I have received three suggestions:
1) KDLL with rooms/food within walking distance of the airport (other clubs use this airport as well for their gathering point)
2) KRYV also with food and rooms close to the airport
3) C47 which I need to research in the near future. Does anyone have information on this airport?
I ask each of you to forward your suggestions for our departure airport. We will need food, rooms, taxi service or "walking distance" to these services. In the past years some pilots have camped at their airplane on Saturday night. Personally, I don't want to set up my tent twice so I am looking for a room or permission to sleep in the terminal building on the airport (we did this last year and it was GREAT). PLEASE let me know your suggestions for a departure airport. My contact information is at the end of this post.

My last request is to ask each of you to get the word out about our reserved parking offer from EAA at AirVenture. Please have any interested pilots contact me so I can put them on the list. When we reach 21 interested pilots then I will keep all others on a "standby" list. I have written to the SWPC president, several chapter presidents and I have sent a request to print our plans in the next SWPC News. However, the "news" will come out so close to AirVenture start date we may have all 21 slots filled by that time. I have also asked to have the details put up on the web site but so far I can't find it there.

I have fifteen names on my list at this time. I will send another email to the list as things progress. Talk to me, please. This offer will not be repeated for five or more years in the future. Lets get 21 confirmed Short Wing Pipers in the triangle parking area for Airventure 2009.

Jerry Isbell (volunteer) PA 22/20
jisbell@columbus.rr.com

Steve Pierce
05-03-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't have an airworthy Short Wing or I would have to participate. I did find out late last week that I don't have to drive to OSH this year. Friend wants me to pick his Super Cub up in Idaho and deliver it to OSH. Twist my arm and make me. ;) At least it will be easy to find all the Short Wings. :D

Zac Weidner
05-03-2009, 08:39 AM
At least it will be easy to find all the Short Wings. :D

Yeah, good point. Now I won't have to go "Short Wing hunting" like I have before! :D

Brian
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Here are the latest details on this years group arrival and preferred parking at Airventure 2009 as reported by my good friend Jerry Isbell. Please considering flying your shortwing to OSH this year and joining us for this group arrival.
Brian

Hello SWPC pilots flying into KOSH,

I have received several suggestions for an airport from which a departure would work for us for Sunday arrival to Oshkosh.

KRYV, Watertown Municipal Airport, Watertown Wisconsin met every suggestion that was sent to me.

It has two runways, is only 49 miles from Oshkosh, it has AWOS-3 on the field.
Fuel is (today) $3.79/gallon at the pump.
There are several hotels within walking distance from the airport.
Food is one half block away. Camping on the field is approved.
Shuttle from the FBO to hotel is available. Taxi is available if the van is busy.

Jeff Baum is the airport manager.
Go to http://www.airnav.com for complete airport details.

We plan to leave Watertown for a group arrival to KOSH on Sunday morning.
In the past, KOSH tower preferred a 9am arrival due to several other very large gaggles of airplanes arriving on Sunday.
We will be flying in a single line and there will be a briefing before we take off on Sunday (weather permitting for the flight to KOSH).
We will be issued a special placard to show to the scooter guys for parking at the triangle as we arrive.
Be sure you have the placard in your window on arrival. I will have placards at Watertown.
I will forward more information regarding the arrival as I get the details from EAA.

I am looking forward to this honorable parking offer from EAA.
We had this special "type club" parking offer several years ago and it is again our turn to park at the triangle.
Many changes have been made for this 2009 AirVenture. Buildings have been torn down, new buildings, new roads, new shuttle route.

We have only ten confirmed slots filled so eleven slots are available.
PLEASE, pass the word to any Piper short wing owner and invite them to join us for the arrival. Mention the invitation at your club meetings.
I would like to fill all the 21 spots.
Most of the pilots camp at the airplane but that is not a requirement for the group arrival.

Kay and I will be at Knoxville for the convention. Please look us up if you plan to fly with us to AirVenture.

Please contact me with any questions, comments, suggestions.

Jerry Isbell in Gahanna, OH PA 22/20
jisbell@columbus.rr.com
jgisbell@gmail.com

Brian
07-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Here is the lastest on the Group Flight to OSH and parking in the VAA Type Club Parking:

The SWPC has been given a few more parking spots in the triangle at KOSH
this year.

The 21 spots that were originally offered are now confirmed and now we
now have more confirmed parking spots to fill.

If anyone is interested in parking with their their short wing in the
Vintage Aircraft camping area in the triangle (rows 74 through 77)
PLEASE let me know soon.
I can add you to the list of confirmed SWPC parking for AirVenture 2009.

I can forward the details to you, just let me know by email as soon as
possible.
We have fifteen days remaining before the show begins at KOSH.

You can fly into KOSH on Saturday or Sunday or join us for our arrival
on Sunday leaving Watertown at 0730.
This promises to be an exciting year at Oshkosh and the invitation to
park as a club will not come again for five years.

jisbell@columbus.rr.com

Steve Pierce
07-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Can't wait. I'm gonna deliver a Super Cub to New Holstein (across the lake from OSH) and my Dad is gonna pick me up and we are gonna camp all week. Looking forward to it, just gotta get all my rats killed here first. :D

Tadpole
07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Looks like fun. I can't make it to OSH this year. Maybe next year...and if I don't have a Pacer by then, I'll just drive!

Zac Weidner
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
leaving Watertown at 0730.

I think that this could be somewhat of a problem because the Comanche mass arrival briefing is a 0900 and all of the Comanches will be arriving for the briefing around that time. I suppose it is not something you can change so the the best thing to do would probably be to notify all the comanche pilots to be alert for the Short Wings around that time. Also I may suggest flying in a staggered line rather than single file. With only 21 airplanes flying a lot slower, it may not be a problem, but with the staggered line, if you lose sight of one airplane, sometimes you can see the next person. It also helps to reduce the chance of getting "too close for comfort" if you find yourself gaining on the plane ahead of you too quickly. Last year, we were only #11 in the line and it was still quite challenging although quite fun. The year before that, we were something like #35 and there were very dramatic speed and altitude changes in the line at our point. Once we had to drop the flaps to keep from overrunning the airplane ahead of us.
My two cents. I just thought I could share my thoughts.

Steve Pierce
08-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Well I didn't arrive with the masses but I sure enjoyed meeting everyone. Didn't realize Zac was 16 years old till I met him and his Dad. We had some nice late night discussions under the wing of my Dad's Clipper. From their pictures it looks like he has gotten a lot of work done and learned a lot in the process. Learned about some new places to go the next time I am in the Idaho back country and some of the way it was at Johnson Flying Service back in the day. All the airplanes were great but I think it is the people who make it so much fun. Hope everyone got home safe and sound and enjoyed OSH as much as I did.