PDA

View Full Version : o235C1B cylinder question

Grassroots
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Are pistons and rings available for an O235C1B .010" over steel bore cylinder?
Anybody know the part numbers for these items?

Many thanks,
Bill

Steve Pierce
03-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I doubt it. Standard rings are available for big $ from Lycoming but ECI makes them now for a lot less. I might have a standard O-235C core if you need one. Check with Pat at J&J Airparts on availbaility of rings. She is pretty sharp on this stuff and has great prices also. 830-569-3891

Grassroots
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Steve, I check with Pat.

JohnW
03-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Here is the latest Service Instruction from Lycoming:

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publica ... I1037M.pdf (http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1037M.pdf)

Their telephone number is at the top left of the document.

"If you wanna play, you gotta pay."

Steve Pierce
03-07-2009, 07:58 PM
John, Do you not like ECI or Superior parts?

JohnW
03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
John, Do you not like ECI or Superior parts?

To be honest, no I do not. There are some major A.D. issues with ECI cylinders (and that is indicative of "a problem" somehere. However, the market figures these things out by itself over time, so I may have my thinking "corrected". But I'M not the guinea pig, TYVM) , and Superior is no more (I've been getting the Chap 7 papers for about 5 months now) so I see no future in buying their major parts. I understand that this can be a very potent argument LOADED with passionate people -each with their own axe to grind- but I would just as soon leave it go as a "Chevy/Ford controversy".

Price is not, in my opinion, always the "deciding factor". That said, I DO think that Lycoming will have to restructure their way of doing busine$$ or they will soon become a company of the past. Some of their prices -and O-235 rings heads that list- are downright STUPID.

Steve Pierce
03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
John, Used Superior cylinders for many years. Investment cast with many improvements over OEM. I am told that they will continue making cylinders. Too bad they got bought out by the diseal engine manufacturer and went bust with them. I dodged the bullet on ECI cylinders on several engines. I really like their nickel bores after finding my fair share of rusted cylinders. I would never by a part based on price alone and I think competition is good. I hope it continues.