PDA

View Full Version : AD listings

Tripod
03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Is there a website where I can download a complete list (not necessarily the AD itself) of AD's for the PA-22 and also the Lycoming O-290D2? I found a few here, but need more. I'm in the beginning stages of building an AD spreadsheet specific to my PA-22-135 in hopes of making things a little easier when the next annual comes around.

Many thanks,

-dave

JohnW
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Here. This is the Real McCoy.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_an ... enFrameSet (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgWebcomponents.nsf/HomeFrame?OpenFrameSet)

Steve Pierce
03-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Here is a list and the AD itself.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=401 (http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=401)

JohnW
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Tripod; don't overlook the fact that an AD research for a "PA-22" will only get what was originally on one when it was built. It won't get seat belt ADs for the belt you have in it, avionics ADs, or almost NONE of the Appliance ADs. Same for the engine. It will get SOME mag ADs , but you also have to research the mags themselves, and this stuff gets INFURIATING with "seial number exclusions" and the like. For the -22, it will get circuit breaker ADs, for the original Wood breakers, but if you have new style C-Bs, they won't be found unless you search for them by manufacturer. Tires, ELTs, radios, even a Bendix transponder, and a zillion other things COULD BE installed on your airplane that has an AD on it. No matter HOW GOOD you are at building such a spreadsheet, a GOOD IA will trim your sails with ADs you did not find, and embarrass you (not intentionally, but red-faced is red-faced). The FIRST STEP (and the one that REALLY can save you money with your IA) is to make up a REAL and TRUE "equipment list" of everything installed on your airplane. Every available part number, serial number, Rev number stamped on a dataplate, ink or paint dots, stamped-in letters, and everything you can find for everything on your ship. THAT is how an IA researches your ADs. He has to do it again EVERY YEAR, and if he is worth his salt, he will keep a list of all that stuff in HIS files so he doesn't have to re-do the "What's it Got List" EVERY YEAR. But he WILL "update" any changed mag, or carb serial number, or mag switch p/n, or anything else that changes. Or, he can do the whole laborious thing every year, and charge you for the time, every year.

Beauty about this is: when he actually RESEARCHES the ADs on "everything", every year, almost every IA in the Country uses a software program to do so. This takes MINUTES, where it used to take HOURS or even DAYS (yep, even on a ShortWing!) using "paper ADs". Every IA software program I have seen builds an "AD Compliance List" when it searches. All the IA has to do is hit "PRINT" and he can deliver almost instantaneously a "blank" AD Compliance list for YOUR airplane, and EVERYTHING ON IT. But...GIGO. If you don't input everything to search, you don't get every AD that may apply. "Researching" the PA-22 airplane itself and the engine itself is NOTHING. It is only a beginning. There might be an AD on a certain brand of TIRE! Or there MIGHT some day be one on the seemingly bulletproof Steve's gascolator (that I LOVE and recommend so much!). A "regular PA-22 search" will not find these ADs, because these things aren't ON a "stock PA-22". So your exercise with a spreadsheet may (if you would take this "constructively") be slightly over your head. Or, at the very least..."more involved" than you would think. Or maybe just "nice, but worthless". Not that you CAN'T do it! But you really need the involvement of someone with this experience, some one that understands the DEPTH required of the AD search INPUT, or you are going to fall very short of the mark. The NEXT IA that does your Annual Inspection will do this all again, even if he is "impressed with your effort". But he will still take the position that if HE misses something, he was in error. He should NEVER simply "go on what the Owner says." Hell, if there is an IA out there that DIDN'T ever find an AD that he missed on an airplane he has been inspecting for years, then that IA is either a liar, or a fool (There is Them that HAS, and Them that WILL). If he's a fool, its because he just hasn't FOUND IT yet. Your best effort would be to get the "Item list" made up, and do so with his DIRECT involvement. Then, he'll KNOW that the list is "complete" (at least to BEGIN WITH) and his yearly task should become easier for subsequent Inspections. Anybody that has been using the same IA year after year...MIGHT be surprised to learn that he HAS a copy of your airplanes "installed list" on his computer, or in his file cabinet. THEN, all he has to do every year is "confirm all that stuff" is still on the airplane, that someone didn't change out the starter for a light weight, hi torque aftermarket one...or that the engine you had on it last year is still the same one.

I applaud your intent. But even self-assured IAs with a few years under their hat get their "come-uppance" occasionally. Your "plan" is excellent, but "how will you know" when you are finished? ;)

Tripod
03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
John, Steve,

I appreciate your responses and input. I agree, an AD list would be incomplete without making a list of every component of my exact airplane. I think I will start there, at least. Hopefully, I can start off on a good note with my new A & P/ IA next year at my new airport.

Many thanks.

-dave