PDA

View Full Version : drag and anti drag wire pulls

brian257
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I had all of the drag and anti drag wire pulls on my pacer labeled so they would go back in the same position. I am referring to the bent angle pieces that go under the compression struts and that the ends on the wires bolt to. For some reason on the Piper drawings they chose to call both these parts and the fork type ends on the wires "wire pulls" and not distinguish between them.

Anyway, somehow between moving them around, sand blasting, and painting they got mixed up. Looking at the Piper drawings it seems that there are different part numbers for different locations of them. I know that they are bent slightly different and it is fairly easy to try them in different locations to make sure that the correct bends are in the correct place although some are bent similar enough that they could be exchanged with other ones.

My concern is with the one that goes at the wing root on the aft spar that the drag tube connects to and the double ended one on the other end of the drag tube at the second compression strut. If the lengths from hole to hole on the fittings is off becaus the wrong fitting was used it will screw up the trammeling on the wing and the wing attach bolts won't align at the fusalage. I don't see drawings showing the exact bends and hole distances for these parts and they would be very hard at the least to measure. Am I worrying about nothing? Are the hole locations on all of them the same and just the bend angles slightly different?

Also, I might move the wing somewhere else to finish and cover it. Is it normal to trial fit the wing after trammeling and before putting on the sheet metal and covering?

Steve Pierce
03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
The individual drawings are on the vagabond CD if memory serves me correctly. The only difference is the angle on the outboard bays because the outboard bay is longer than the two inboard bays. Also take note of the note at the drag/anti-drag wire intersection about "Drag Wire Intersection Overlaps Shall Alternate In Successive Bays". In other words if the drag wire is on top of the anti-drag wire in the second bay make sure the anti-drag wire is over the drag wire in the third bay. I check and double check the trammeling. I trial fit after the leading edges are installed but I wouldn't think it would hurt to trial fit before. They will be a lot more flimsy however.