PDA

View Full Version : It's done!!!

Tripod
04-03-2009, 01:35 PM
My Tripacer was signed off yesterday after a five month, one week annual. My son made a special trip to California to give me a BFR, which we also completed yesterday. It was a fine day for me.

In 2003 I became heavily burdened with domestic things, so basically gave up flying for almost 6 years. So, everything was due; medical, annual and BFR. Now it's all done. The old TP seemed so comfortable and familiar and everything worked perfectly. Love that airplane!

BTW, we did end up replacing the rear lift struts even though they passed the punch test. As I mentioned in previous posts, my mechanic saw some rust in the lower area when he did the borescope inspection, so he condemned the struts despite the fact they passed the punch testing. My A & P son called the FAA and spoke to the actual person who wrote the lift strut AD and after a day or so of contemplation agreed that the struts should be replaced. I have to admit that the new sealed rear struts look beefy (same chord as the front struts) and those 5/8" forks are impressive. The front struts checked out fine, but I think I will replace them in 24 months when the AD comes up again.

-dave (back in the saddle) :D

Tadpole
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Congrats! That's great that everything's all done and you'r back in the sky! :mrgreen:

Steve Pierce
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Congratulations. I know how it feels to get back in the air. The front struts are actually a tad bigger around than the rear. Have some fun flying for those of us with our airplanes still down. :lol:

Jetfever
04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Congratulations! How about a photo of your bird?
I plan to replace my struts as well, even though they pass the punch test. 2,200 total time, and the plane has been stored in a hangar most of it's life in so cal.

Where is the best place to buy the new struts, and how much should I plan on $pending?

Tadpole
04-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Can someone explain to me what the sealed struts are and what they're replacing? I thought I knew but now I'm getting confused.

d.grimm
04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Jason,
Sealed struts have a barrel welded inside the bolt hole where the wing attaches. There is a AD for checking or replacing your struts with sealed struts as a result of a Tri-Pacer losing a wing in flight because the bottom of the strut rusted through.
TaylorCraft is currently going through the same thing. I've gotten my struts from Univair because they have larger than stock strut forks (which also have a AD) and I'm done with any strut or fork problems.
Dave

Tadpole
04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Jason,
Sealed struts have a barrel welded inside the bolt hole where the wing attaches. There is a AD for checking or replacing your struts with sealed struts as a result of a Tri-Pacer losing a wing in flight because the bottom of the strut rusted through.
TaylorCraft is currently going through the same thing. I've gotten my struts from Univair because they have larger than stock strut forks (which also have a AD) and I'm done with any strut or fork problems.
Dave

Ah, thanks!

Tripod
04-04-2009, 10:55 PM
And drilling holes for door-stops and strut fairings is verboten with sealed struts. Another nice feature of sealed struts is that they come with beefy 5/8" strut forks. This eliminates the recurring 500 hour magnaflux inspection AD on the standard 1/2" forks.

-dave