PDA

View Full Version : New Clipper Owner With Questions

Clipper Driver
04-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm a relatively new PA-16 Clipper owner, and I have a few questions I haven't found answers to in various searches:

- What is proper tire pressure? The plane has 800 X 6 tires. After flying for awhile, one tire looked low, so I filled them both to 25 PSI - a recommendation I read somewhere. The change in handling on pavement was immediately apparent - too responsive to rudder inputs. After that, I reduced the pressure to about 20 PSI. Handling was better. Since then, I've heard that a bit less than 20 PSI is best.

- The cylinder baffle seal material is very old and is the type of installation where the seal folds over and fastens to both the front and back of the baffle. There are gaps of at least 1/4-inch between the seal and upper cowl over much of the rear baffle. My oil temps are within limits and seem to by typical for a stock O-235 and baffle installation - but higher than I would like, even with the BC700 Oil Filter Adapter. So, I would like to install new baffle seals. I would prefer they be the more modern type that curve into the plenum chamber, so the pressure holds them against the cowl. However, I am having difficulty finding approved material and installation info. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

- I would like to install individual seat belts and shoulder harness in the front seat. I have a copy of AC 23-17A and I think I have a pretty good idea how and where to attach them, and the fact that it's a logbook entry as long as I don't drill, weld, or otherwise modify any structure. But, I don't know exactly what to order that will be guaranteed to fit. If anyone has specific recommendations for Hooker, WAG-AERO, or other part numbers, it would be a help.

I have attached several photos of the plane. It was restored a few years ago, and the former owner made many improvements while trying to maintain it in as stock condition and appearance as possible, to include the instrument panel. So, I have been lucky enough to spend most of my time flying instead of fixing. Even so, I've done a fair amount of fixing and improvements myself - such as debugging electrical problems and adding a stereo intercom. Now that it's warmed up in my part of the country, I'm looking forward to some fun flying, and hopefully to Oshkosh to celebrate N5216H's 60th birthday!

This sure is a great website, with much useful info and resources! My thanks to Steve, Cathy and all the others who have made this possible!

Steve Pierce
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Great photos. I run 15-20 psi in a 800x6 I had on my Clipper. Cathy is calling me to dinner so I have to get home but will post some pictures and numbers on the harnees/seat belts.

Gilbert Pierce
04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Clipper shoulder harness. See the attached PDF Picture. The PDF was done prior to time you could put shoulder harnesses by log book entry so it was part of a Field Approval.

JohnW
04-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I have found 18 psig for PA-12, -14, -18 and all ShortWings wearing 8:00x6 baloneys to be the "rightest" on grass AND asphalt (concrete, whatever). EVERYBODY sells silicone baffle seals. Aircraft Spruce, Chief, Wag, Univair...everybody. Along with shoulder harnesses, you WILL be putting in "individual" lap straps (if you don't already have them). WagAero does seat belts and/or sh. harnesses (and they do it well).