PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond upgrades done

Ed Brown
04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Got my Vagabond back a couple of weeks ago from Don's Dream Machines. Don and his son Jeff installed their C-85 with 0-200 crank rods and pistons STC. I don't know the horsepower but it sure is more than the original Continental I had before. They also got a field approval to install the WagAero 8 gallon wing tank.

Finally found time yesterday to get some performance figures. Very impressed with the climb which is 1000 ft/min to 5000 ft. Cruise speed increased about 4 mph, to 97 mph TAS (GPS verified). Fuel burn at that speed is 5 gph, vs the A-75 burning 6 gph running almost wide open, so that's a significant improvement in MPG.

The CG change forward is noticeable but not terrible, and still within limits. I'm having to fly a little faster approach speed. Landings are a little different, not necessarily better or worse, I haven't figured it out yet. Could it be I went so many months without flying? Still fun to fly, especially with that performance gain. All in all a great improvement to the airplane.

The wing tank feels like something a factory would do. It works perfectly. Just what the Vagabond needed for cross country work.

I posted a video of the Vagabond takeoff performance on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7iLyOTdDUA

d.grimm
04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Ed,
Great news. What prop did you go with? What does it weigh now? Impressive takeoff. Where does your CG come out at?
What do you think balance wise with just wing tanks and no nose tank? Did Don use that pre-1955 337 for approval?
I know it's a lot of questions, but it is pretty exciting news.
Dave

jay heil
04-18-2009, 02:50 PM
can you put an o-200 in a vag?

Ed Brown
04-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Ed,
Great news. What prop did you go with? What does it weigh now? Impressive takeoff. Where does your CG come out at?
What do you think balance wise with just wing tanks and no nose tank? Did Don use that pre-1955 337 for approval?
I know it's a lot of questions, but it is pretty exciting news.
Dave

Dave, I went with a Sensenich wood prop; 72 GK 44. Don Swords (Don's Dream Machines) had Sensenich use their old style SB Brothers stickers on the front of the blades, instead of the more modern Sensenich Propellers stickers, a nice touch. At full throttle, in level flight, the rpm goes right up to redline (2575 rpm), so I believe this is the right prop for all round use.

Don used post 1955 337's, for the approvals.

As with most airplanes, the W&B had a surprise in store. When the plane was restored in 1998 the W&B showed EW of 667 lbs and C/G at 12.01. Out of curiosity I had Don's weigh the plane before any changes were made. I didn't have them level it and get the C/G, I just wanted to see the difference in weight with the new gas tank and engine. 682 lbs is what they came up with, a gain of 15 pounds from the original W&B. Go figure. After finishing the project a proper W&B was done. Weight came in at 706 lbs with the G/G at 12.1 inches a gain of 24 lbs on Don's scale, with the C/G actually moving aft. Again go figure.

All in all, I am very happy with the changes. It still flies and lands well, climbs like the proverbial homesick angel, cruises a little faster, with better fuel economy. What more can I ask for?

Ed

Ed Brown
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I went with a Sensenich wood prop; 72 GK 44.
Ed

Ooops, a little short circuit between the headsets there...

Actually I used a 72 GK 46 prop.

Ed

d.grimm
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Ed,
I have a W72GK44. I was looking for climb anyway. I'm sure mine doesn't put out the power that yours does anyway.
Any Dyno numbers?
Thanks,
Dave

Ed Brown
04-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi again Dave,

Sorry, no dyno numbers on my engine, but it's got to be over 85 hp <grin>.

I've been comunicating with Bill Taylor out on the east coast, and he has the 72GK48 (mine is 72GK46) on his C-85 Vagabond. He claims 110 mph with his which is 13 mph faster than mine. He thinks it's the prop. I don't know. My prop only goes to redline, so a larger prop may not even get up to that rpm. My airspeed indicator shows 110 mph but the GPS derived TAS at 3000' MSL is 97 mph. My plane is right up at the forward C/G so I wonder if that is has anything to do with the difference.

Any idea when you'll get yours flying?

Ed

d.grimm
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Ed,
Refinishing my W72GK44 as we speak, wings and rudder cover starts Thursday. Still messing with my right side sliding window.
Hope this year.
Was looking at this propeller pitch/airspeed formula on Supercub.org. Prop pitch X RPM X .00095 = airspeed
I don't know if this takes into account a 80% wood propeller efficiency.
Dave

Bultaco Jim
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Ed, sorry to butt in, but I can confirm that a 48 pitch prop will equate to approx. 110mph. My Colt has a 48 and cruises at 110. I wouldn't think that 85hp would pull it, but, what do I know about Vags?