PDA

View Full Version : CLIPPER HEADLINER

clipquito
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I bought a Clipper headliner from Spruce. Came without zippers. They say they don't put zippers in the Clipper headliner. Seems to me they are needed -- and they are on the drawing! Any ideas on this? Thanks.

JohnW
05-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Wellllll, they are illustrated on the Drawing (12194) but there is a note in the Title Block! (I tell ya!!! It never ENDS, does it!?! :D ). It says on the -3 ONLY. Check also your Revision Table for that same Drawing. The aft zipper was added January 1950, and the FRONT one was added November 1951. So, there WERE NONE on the original (ha! must've been fun to get the trim position pointer through the slit!!!). There IS no "trim cable tension adjustment" up there like on later Models...it was in the tail. If you have modded for the dual sheave trim system, then you are "custom", pure and simple. Frankly, I can't see why anyone that can thread a Singer (or a Necchi, I GUESS!) would pay the price for an "aftermarket headliner"!!!. Seems like a pretty steep price for some "not-so-fancy sewin'", to me. If you "don't sew", well then I guess you can "make one cheaper, but not necessarily 'better'..."

If you WANT to go with what you have, call ACS&S and have then put you in touch with the people that stitch them (but, they still COME WITH "paper" from the Manufacturer, DON'T THEY? Call THEM direct if you can) and I'm sure that they will ADD zipper(s) for you (and for a relatively cheap service charge). I've had several Colt headliners made with "extra", extra material on the back end (for extending the rear sides down to accommodate having installed "D" windows, because the stock ones are JUST short for going around the new windows).

Gilbert Pierce
05-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Normal Clippers do not need a zipper to adjust the trim cable tension because that adjustment in at the tail. You are installing the Pacer double trim pulley system. The adjustment for pulley tension is up front where trim handle is. Also if you ever need to work on the trim it is necessary to have that front zipper as well. After you install the headliner you need to get in there to install the trim plate, crank, escutcheon etc. I don't know how you would do that without a zipper.

I bought my headliner from AirTex. It had the front zipper and one over the aileron balance cable.

I would return the headliner to Spruce and get one from AirTex.

clipquito
05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks Gilbert. You are right. I am installing the PA20 trim system. Why can't I just add a zipper or velcro openning? BA

Hillbilly
05-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Gilbert. You are right. I am installing the PA20 trim system. Why can't I just add a zipper or velcro openning? BA

I don't know anything about Clippers but that looks more like an answer, than a question.
- Hillbilly

JohnW
05-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Whaaaaa??? Isn't that what I said? :cry:

Hillbilly
05-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Whaaaaa??? Isn't that what I said? :cry:

In a nutshell, I believe it is.

clipquito
05-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the headliner where the seatbelts -- shoulder belts -- go through? Thanks.

Hillbilly
05-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the headliner where the seatbelts -- shoulder belts -- go through? Thanks.

Ms Beth Ann, I'm sure Gilbert will come to the rescue but, I'm pretty sure he has posted those pics on this or the SWPC website
already. Might try searching while you wait. - Hillbilly

clipquito
05-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I looked. Found one that shows the outside (top) of the headliner, but not the inside.

Gilbert Pierce
05-24-2009, 04:07 PM
You can't take a picture of the inside as the headliner is right up against the rear spar carry-thru where the shoulder harness webbing wraps around.

Zac Weidner
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=487&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=headliner (http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=487&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=headliner)
This post has a picture of my headliner installation in a PA-22 but I don't have any from the top side.

Frank Green
05-27-2009, 07:01 AM
I got mine from Wag Aero. Installed the brackets, then cut a small slit in the wool and stretched it over the plates.

clipquito
06-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Ended up putting in two zippers -- one for the aileron cable (behind seat belts) and one for the trim system. Took it to a local seamstress -- cost me $25. All's well that ends well.

Jetfever
07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I have wanted to add a shoulder harness to my '59 Pacer, but I figured it would do me no good, if it is loose enough for me to reach the retracted flap handle, then it is just "too loose" for protection. (Or am I wrong)? If there is an "inertia reel" that fits and works then I am very interested.

I love to practice Short field T/O and landings, and I use the flaps for both. I also need to be able to retract the flaps on a "go around".

Your harness looks very nice!

Edit, I just realized, you may not have flaps on a Clipper....

Stephen
07-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I have wanted to add a shoulder harness to my '59 Pacer, but I figured it would do me no good, if it is loose enough for me to reach the retracted flap handle, then it is just "too loose" for protection. (Or am I wrong)? If there is an "inertia reel" that fits and works then I am very interested.

I love to practice Short field T/O and landings, and I use the flaps for both. I also need to be able to retract the flaps on a "go around".....

You have a good point about loose fitting shoulder straps. I have doubble shoulder straps and figure that they will keep my face from hitting the panel in a sudden stop. I have seen pictures of interitial reel installations on our planes which I'm sure is a good option.

And, yes Clippers are missing their flaps....

Frogdad
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Here are some photos of an inertia reel installation that was fairly easy to do. It is basically the complete Wag Aero seat belt/shoulder harness package and upper attach brackets with Am-Safe inertia reels installed on the upper attach brackets to receive the Wag Aero shoulder harness belts.
We took the inertia reels and Wag Aero belts to a seatbelt rewebbing repair station and they wound the Wag Aero belts onto the reels.
Received a field approval on this back when it was required for shoulder harnesses.

Don[attachment=1:sqpzel9u]inertia reel 1.jpg[/attachment:sqpzel9u][attachment=0:sqpzel9u]inertia reel 2.jpg[/attachment:sqpzel9u]

Steve Pierce
07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Don, That is the cat's meow, beautiful installation and excellent functionality as well. I researched the Amsafe inertia reel shoulder harness several years ago and never followed through with it. How come you rewound with the Wag Aero harness?

Frogdad
07-02-2009, 07:36 PM
The Wag Aero belt was kept to make the field approval easier.
We installed the Wag Aero belts and shoulder harness as a complete package under their STC and sent in the 337.
Then, once that paperwork went through we did a separate field approval JUST to replace the upper belt fitting with the inertia reel.
I think the repair station would have liked it better if they could have put there own webbing on the reel

Steve Pierce
01-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Drawings I found of the AmSafe inertia reel shoulder harness.