PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer's new Tailwheel STC

Stephen
07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello,

We have just been issued the long sought after STC for installing PA-18 three inch extended landing gear with Maule oleo struts on the Short-wing Piper aircraft.

The STC was issued June 30, 2009. It will be a few days before the FAA/ACO mails the complete data package to me.

Once I receive the data package, it will take me an additional few days to get it installed on the computer so that I will be ready to prepare the STC package for delivery.

The STC SA02345AK is priced at $750.00.

As most of you already know, I do not accept credit cards. I do accept personal checks, money orders or wire transfers.

Thanks for your patience in STC approval/issue process.

Eddie Trimmer

BatPacer
07-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Congrats to Eddie!! My personal opinion is this gear is THE way to go on a Pacer. In particular, anyone doing the 22/20 conversion should really consider going with the Cub style gear. It's way stronger and the way Eddie has this set up, it is nice and clean, too, so it shouldn't adversely affect cruise.

Paul

Stephen
07-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Paul, I agree, I've got the Univair gear myself, but Eddies 3 inch extended gear, I believe would make a real difference is landing speeds and T.O. distances. It would be all around a safer set-up.

BatPacer
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Good point on the T/O and landing angle of attack. A lot of folks overlook this advantage to extended gear and/or oversized tires. It makes a big difference.

The big thing is the safety factor, though, especially off-strip. Obviously not everyone NEEDS the beefy gear but stock Pacer gear is not the strongest (I know first hand). It can be reinforced and made stronger but will never equal the strength of the Cub gear in this installation.

Randy
07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
This STC is definitely something I want to do in the future. Anyone have any idea how much the total cost would be including parts? How much fabric work and tubing modification is involved?

cammons3
07-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Eddie,
Way to go! When I visited you in March '08, I knew this was a definite requirement on Tweet once it goes down for recover. Obviously, this will be a great compliment to the left-door, O-360, and fuel line mods (to name only a few). Keep up the great work you do for our Shortwings! Congratulations!
Curt Ammons (H75)

TIM
12-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Has anybody done this on a PA-16? I'm very interested in making the conversion!

AKTieDown
12-20-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm getting ready to do it on my 16. Heard good things about it and I will be on skis, so I need the beef.

Chris Iriarte
02-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Now that this STC is a few years old, has anyone here converted a Tri-pacer using it? I'm curious what the total parts bill comes out to. I'm assuming the STC covers the installation of the tailwheel? Other than removing the nose gear strut and mount, what is involved firewall forward?

Chris

avcan
02-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Hi Chris,
Yes, I have done two, and have two more coming up to do. STC covers tailwheel installation, and conversion to dual brakes.
The parts bill includes the extended cub gear, Maule oleo struts, tail spring/wheel etc.
Probably in the order of a few thousand dollars, but the main effort/cost is in the labour. This is a very extensive mod, and involves a lot of cutting, welding, and fabrication.
If you are paying for an engineer it won't be cheap!
In saying that it is a fantastic mod, and hugely improves the strength of the undercarriage, and improves the STOL performance by adding more angle of attack.
Cheers
Craig

rsrguy3
12-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Sorry if this seems like a real boner question... could this be installed with standard Cub gear, with no additional extension? Just dreaming here thinking of a really slick speedster look.

mmoyle
12-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Nope...the load is moved from the beefy structure at the bungees to the next cross tube between the front gear mounts. That tube is removed...two tubes, one inside the other is welded in. Another tube is added between the wing strut mount and the rear gear leg fitting on the PA22. If you add seaplane doors you'll need to replace the front left door tube...it's 3/4" X 0.049" then some diagonals are added...search topic "trimmer stc PA18 gear modifications...bunch of pics there.
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rsrguy3
12-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Just wondering, thanks the univair might be a better choice where bush flying is not an issue then.

mmoyle
12-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Just wondering, thanks the univair might be a better choice where bush flying is not an issue then.

Bri and Steve have beef up mods for the Univair gear...

rsrguy3
12-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Cool..... Who are they?

mmoyle
12-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Brian is on this group. They also have a Facebook page with more than a 1000 pics of projects...including the gear beef up modification. Steve's Aircraft....

rsrguy3
12-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Excellent the wabbit hole deepens:)

stevesaircraft(Bri)
12-23-2014, 10:58 PM
The gear mod I have done is a follow on field approval using an approved 337 from Eddie Trimmer.... It adds a tube between the streamline tube and rear gear tube, fuel steps and gussets at the axle...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmoyle
12-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Bri.....No return call from superior yet....bout half done milling the plates...

stevesaircraft(Bri)
12-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Bri.....No return call from superior yet....bout half done milling the plates...

Probably off for the next week... I think you are on the right path anyways...

mmoyle
12-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Finished up the plates today.