PDA

View Full Version : looking for a TIG welder

Larry Huntley
07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I am considering buying a TIG welder. I will probably never weld much anything heavier than .050 4130 tubing. I am fairly comerent with a o/a torch ,but have never used TIG except for a couple of practice shots. I want a unit that will do the job,but do not want to go overboard. Cheap is ok if it is good and used is ok in good shape. I would appreciate any suggestions from, "Them what knows". I am in no hurry so lots of time to study the situation. Thank you, Larry Huntley

Steve Pierce
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Larry, I use a Miller Syncrowave 180 with a water cooled torch. Bought it slightly used 10 years ago for $1200 complete. Won't do real thick aluminum but I have a friend with a 350 when the need arises. ;)

Do a Google search on "Syncrowave 180" and it will bring up some good welding forum discussions. Might also search "welders" on www.supercub.org (http://www.supercub.org) as this topic got a lot of post not too long ago over there.

jay heil
07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I will probably never weld much anything heavier than .050 4130 tubing.

ok all the rage these days are square wave tig welders but as you stated you dont need aluminum capability?????? ok so if you dont have the need or desire to weld aluminum you dont need an AC/DC tig welder all you need is DC so since you have no AC you have no "wave" hahahaha anyway the DC tig welders are about 1/2 the price of an AC/DC unit there are some real nice straight DC tig welders for between 400 to 1200 new ! so even less for used my suggestion is go on ebay type in tig welders and a gazillion of them will come up most will have a link to the manufacturers website so you can read all about them Ive been thinking about buying one too but never quite seem to be able to spend that much $$$$ now Steves welder is probably a better or just as good of a welder as the straight DC units plus it has alum capability so if it was me I guess Id spend 1200 on his used one then I would on a new DC unit so hey thats my .$.02 worth

Curly
07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I sold welding equipment for close to 30 years so have a bit of an idea of what TIG to buy.

If money is no object go for a square wave inverter AC/DC machine - but stick to the major brands like Kempii, Esab, Miller or Lincoln. In single phase you will be limited to about 160amps and that should be plenty unless you want to weld aly. heavier than 1/8". Water cooled torch would be nice but unless it's "full on" welding an air cooled will get you by.

There are some nice machines coming out of China at ridiculous prices but my concern with those is backup service and spares. If you are counting the dollars get a cheap Chinese straight DC inverter, flog it to death and when it dies (and it will eventually) drop it in the dumpmaster ( a repair usually costs more that a new one) and get another one.

I am using a cheap Italian DC scratch start machine (120amps) with an aircooled torch and while I have expected it to die (so that I can "justify" a 160amp AC/DC Kempii) the damn thing is over 10 years old and just "keeps on truckin" .

Larry Huntley
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanx Steve and Jay,
I also have a fellow to whom I farm out the tough stuff. I just need something to learn with and weld up a Vagabond fuselage if I ever get good enough. I appreciate the tips. Larry

jay heil
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
so Curly since your the "man" [just kidding] Im all about cheap ask my wife since the best I can do is dream about an AC/DC tig welder I might be more realistic to buy a DC welder a cheapy at that what do you think about the harbor freight tig welder http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... &Submit=Go (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=tig+welder&Submit=Go) is it as good as your cheap one that you use ???

Curly
07-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Jay - both of those would be OK. but I would go for the 98233-IVGA at $350.

The advantages are:
(1) Tig torch standard - with the other one the torch is an extra $45 (which takes it to $295)
(2) Slightly better duty cycle (60% @ 126amps is not bad at all) and a top range of 165amps compared to 130.
(4) Appears to have the power and gas connection on the front of the machine and a gas valve in the case controlled by a switch in the torch. This is a feature normally only seen on more sophisticated machines. (On cheaper machines they normally just have an on/off valve on the torch.)
(5) Ditto the digital readout. Not essential but nice when your learning to drive the thing.

The only other things you will need is a cylinder ("tank") of argon, a flowmeter/regulator and a welding mask. There are some really cheap electronic masks around at the moment - if you get one make sure it is variable from at least shade 10 - some are fixed at shade 11 and that is too dark for low amp. tig.

Have fun
Curley

Larry Huntley
07-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks to everyone on the TIG info. I have an O/A outfit and a couple of
Meco Aviator jet torches. I like them ,but I am being told that there are a
lot of advantages to TIG and would like to try it. Don't need a stick
capability,have an old buzz box I use on farm equipment. Price is a
factor,but a while ago I thought they were in the $1500- 2000 range. Sounds
like I could get an acceptable unit for much less.
Can't get to OSH,sure wish I could. Been doing, "Maybe next year" for
about 3 years now. ;o) We do have a Mennonite farm store just up the road
that will order whatever you want and they don't seem to be trying to get
rich on every unit they sell.When I find what I need I will check there for
prices. Lincoln is beginning to sound pretty good.
Curly, thanx for the tip on the electronic mask. Didn't know shade could be changed. Larry

mike mcs repair
07-13-2009, 12:20 AM
I bought a used Lincoln precision tig 225 square wave tig last year, so far just use the air cooled torch that came with it, and have not needed to hookup the water cooled torch I figured i would..... nice unit

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/precisionTig.php

Frank Green
07-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I have a Miller 185 tig w/aluminum spool gun, Lincoln 255xt mig and a Lincoln 185 AC/DC tig w/stick, bought all of them at Oshkosh. They put Miller and Lincoln across from each other and offer some great free delivery deals. They let you try them all and even give classes. I don't subscribe to the Walmart / Harbour Freight buy it cheap, throw it away when it breaks philosophy. I try to buy American quality (yes it costs more) and keep it for life, for the good tools I own, and I own alot of them.