PDA

View Full Version : VOR Antennae Coax Cable Routing

Lownslow
07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I have attempted routing the vertical stabilizer-mounted VOR antennae coax beside the vertical stabilizer like it had been installed before, but I can't seem to be happy with what I see. I have seen routing on some back when a dual-wire harness was installed that ran the harness along the leading edge of the vertical stab, but that doesn't seem to be right with the coax either. Has anyone used some creative or successful methods of running the coax up the tail without creating a bump over the longitudinal channels?

Steve Pierce
07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Most I have seen ran up through the stabilizer ribs. I have also seen the antenna mounted on the bottom of the fuselage where it won't poke you in the eye.

Lownslow
07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I've decided already to put it in the vert stab. The second channel from the top appears too narrow to accept the wire and grommet. The lower one would accept this OK. Just checking to see what others are doing.

Thanks Steve,

Lou S.

Steve Pierce
07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I agree it looks too tight for the coax, gotta be a better way.

Lownslow
07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
It looks to me like the best way is a combination of a grommet in the lower channel and then routing the coax beside the rudder hinge post at the top channel where the diameter of the cable fits there and where it will be abscured by the tail brace wire attachment. I happen to have a grommet the perfect size. I am also considering pointing the antennae aftward to aviod the eye-poker, as I have had at least one report that they work just as well either way.

Lou S.

Zac Weidner
07-12-2009, 12:47 AM
We mounted our antenna facing aft, because our Twin Comanche has always been that way and has always worked fine. I have seen them both ways but I like the looks a lot better facing aft.

Lownslow
07-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I like the looks a lot better facing aft.

Amen!

Thanks.

Stephen
07-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Just sold my old VOR antenna in the Flymart for four bucks. Solved my mounting problems.

Zac Weidner
07-13-2009, 01:42 PM
These pictures show how I routed the coax next to the ribs on the left side before and after covering. I made one of the forward rib stitch finishing tape circular patches larger to cover where the coax goes next to the rib. It is not too noticable after covering and doesn't look bad. I don't know how else it could be routed any better.