PDA

View Full Version : Need an Opinion....

mjlossner
07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi there,
Flew the Trike sat. and about 10 min into the flight, climbing she missed, snickered....Figgered she passed some water a piece of carbon, somthing as it ran fine for the next hour and the takeoff and the hour after that. So here's the question, I previously owned a Trike 20 years ago and the engine had previously been on a Pacer on floats and the carb had a Curtiss Quick Drain in the drain Plug on the Back. Sound like a Good idea??? or not. Kick it around
Thanks for your input,
Mike

Steve Pierce
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't put a drain valve in my carburetor. The gascolator should catch and separate the water but I have seen carb. bowls corroded from water sitting in there so it does get in.

Gilbert Pierce
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
It gets in there when the gascoalter bowl gets full of water and the engine gets real silent. I got 5 gallons of water and 13 gallons of fuel at 94K in Cassville, MO. once. When you get the bowl of the gas coalator full of water it goes into the carb bowl.

d.grimm
07-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Valve sticking in the guide?
Mine did that twice, valve guide needed reaming. Pull the prop through and see if you have a soft cylinder.
Dave

mjlossner
07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey there,
Thought about the valve guide thing, this was the first flight after about about a two month idle period, longer story, seemed ok the rest of the day. I may add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Dad did this all the time with our Warner engine in our Meyers OTW. Besides it gives me a excuse to exercise the Trike more often.
thank for the input ...... Mike