PDA

View Full Version : Need a strut for my Tri-Pacer

Randy
09-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a forward wing strut for a 1958 Tri-Pacer, I am in the process of getting my annual done and one of the struts is dented. I still have the original unsealed struts. Just wondering if anyone has an airworthy strut that they are not using and would like to sell. I'm located in Alberta, Canada. I'm a student pilot and new airplane owner. I've just spent most of my airplane repair budget on a major overhaul of the engine, so I can't afford to buy a set of sealed struts right now. I'd like to get flying again soon so I don't lose momentum in my flight training, the longer my airplane sits, the more I'll have to re-learn.

I know this should go in the Parts Wanted section, but apparently my membership expired and it won't allow me to post there. I have sent in payment to renew my membership but it hasn't been processed yet.

Thanks
Randy

stevesaircraft(Bri)
09-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Randy,

Shipping will be expensive into Canada, but I do have more than one old front strut from Pacer's that have been converted to the sealed ones.

Brian.

Clayton Harper
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Could you wait a couple of weeks? I might have and idea.

Steve Pierce
09-27-2009, 10:00 PM
How bad is the dent. Univair sells slightly dented but airworthy struts at a discount.

Randy
09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I've found a strut within driving distance of home, now I just need to do the punch test or ultrasonic inspection to make sure it is airworthy and complies with the AD. I'm not sure how to judge the severity of the dent, but my mechanic seems to feel that it is big enough that he is uncomfortable signing off on the annual and it's better to err on the side of caution with such a critical part.

pistoncan
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Randy,

Shipping will be expensive into Canada, but I do have more than one old front strut from Pacer's that have been converted to the sealed ones.

Brian.
Brian What is involved in converting non sealed struts to sealed struts?

stevesaircraft(Bri)
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Buy new ones from "UniScare" . Mesure fork extention, install and check rigging.

I guess on my original post I should have stated: "-from Pacers that have been converted to ""Univair sealed struts.""

Brian.

PS. Randy.

Glad to hear that you found one more or less local.....

Todd
09-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Is there any defined unacceptable size of dents in a lift strut apart from those created by the Maule tester finding a spot weakened by corrosion? I've noticed a slight dent on one of my sealed struts over an area an inch or so around, visible only by an undulation in the sheen of the paint. Don't know how it got there. Wonder if it's a factor in a negative G situation.

Hillbilly
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Is there any defined unacceptable size of dents in a lift strut apart from those created by the Maule tester finding a spot weakened by corrosion? I've noticed a slight dent on one of my sealed struts over an area an inch or so around, visible only by an undulation in the sheen of the paint. Don't know how it got there. Wonder if it's a factor in a negative G situation.

You're pushing negs in a shortwing?

kloudking1
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
How bad is the dent. Univair sells slightly dented but airworthy struts at a discount.

Steve,
How would you aquire those struts? I am going to replace all my struts when I put the wings on and dented is fine with me as long as airworthy. Especially at a discount!

Todd
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
You're pushing negs in a shortwing?

It's the best way I've found to get all the crumbs out from under the seats. I finish off by doing a tailslide with the doors open and they drop right out. :roll: