PDA

View Full Version : Mod. Compatibility

skydogk
11-28-2009, 03:09 PM
To the Mod. Guru's. Suppose somebody would do a flap extension mod. and got it STC'd. With the current FAA mindset, how would it get incorporated with the many different wing extension mods that have been done over the years. Would the STC be written for just a particular mod, or could you get the flap extension approved for any wing extension type mod? Hmm, maybe you could get the flap extension STC'd then have the data field approved for different mods. Opps. No more field approvals for flight control surfaces.

What are your thoughts out there?

skydogk

Stephen
11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Any approval that you get...STC or Field Approval goes with that airfarme or engine. You can get a flap extension (good luck), then latter add a wing extension or VG's. I believe the person who returns it to service would be responsible for compatability of the latest mod that maybe installed.

PS, the only flap extension I know of is an inboard extension that goes with the X-Winds wing mods.

skydogk
11-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Hmm. A multiple STC approved could go to many serial number aircraft and has more to do with the TCDS. You are correct about the installing/authorizing mechanic (IA) being responsible for compatability. With that said, the FAA would hardly approve a multiple STC for an aircraft already incorporating a wing mod. unless a specific mod. is listed in the approved model list on the STC essentially making the "multiple" STC extreemly limited to a few already modified aircraft. This is just my opinion, but I'd be glad to be corrected. Now on another thought, one could get a multiple STC for a wing extension, then get a second STC for a flap extension with that, or incorporate the flap extension into the wing extension mod. I believe it would be pretty cost prohibitive though. How many pacer drivers would be willing to spend 5-10K for flap extensions? One primary reason we drive short wings is because we can't afford other types of aircraft. Again, my opinion....

I do beg to be corrected on this flap mod. thing though. I missed the "field approval" days by about 6 months. Aarrgg!

skydogk

Steve Pierce
11-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I think if you were going to go through the STC process you might as well get a tip approved as well. I think the demand and willingness to spend big money on these airplanes will continue to rise. Look at the cost of converting to a tailwheel and look at the cost of doing a true ground up restoration. Ben and my Dad can probably shed light on that but might not want to look at the cost themselves. ;) My projects costs get spread out over so much time I would hate to see how much I have invested. :)

Stephen
11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
It seems that a flap mod that moves the aileron outward would only go on an extended winged plane. Therefore, to get a new STC approved for the flap/aileron approved it would have to specify that it must have already been modified with the wing extension STC such as the Sullivan. When I got my "one time" for sticks, I specified that it must be converted to a tail dragger and there was no real reason....just did.

After talking to Eddie...can't imagine how this could be done for less than $10,000. What are your ideas?

skydogk
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm sure Eddie has a far better idea what the cost estimate would be. But you know what, you guys are correct that there might be the damand out there for a kit that takes a stock pacer wing (round tip), extends it, adds extensions unto the flap inboard 3-4", extensions unto the flap outboard approx.25", and moves the ailerons outboard, and new cool tips (winglets maybe). Hmm. The FAA would like to see a kit that goes all the way from stock to finished product. The entire thing could be marketed as a kit then the installing technician would determine the compatability with any existing wing mods. Oh, I forgot the all important STOL fences seperating the aileron and flap areas. And maybe VGs to boot. Wow, who wants to go into business together? I really need to call Eddie and see what he's got going on.

skydogk

Gilbert Pierce
11-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Ben and my Dad can probably shed light on that but might not want to look at the cost themselves. ;) My projects costs get spread out over so much time I would hate to see how much I have invested. :)

I have no idea what I spent on my ground up restoration nor do I want to know. I have all of the receipts but just never saw the need to total them up. It wasn't cheap. All of the labor except the sheet metal was mine. I work for free. I do know I have $10K in the engine upgrade and overhaul. That included new Millenium cylinders. I sold the O-235 and prop, that covered the core cost for an O-320B2B. Again, no labor cost. Whatever the total, it was worth it.
I have a brand new airplane with improved engine performance and enjoy every minute of flying it.