PDA

View Full Version : Pitot tube fabrication

Zac Weidner
12-07-2009, 06:49 PM
We are looking to fabricate a new pitot tube for our Tri Pacer. (single tube type) We have the little steel "disc" with 4 screw holes to attach it to the mount bracket, but our airplane was absent a pitot tube. I have read that it is a steel disc and copper tube with silver solder to secure them together.
First, would this be a major repair? If it can be done, what are the dimensions? (bottom of wing to tube, radius of bend, length, etc.)

Thanks

Gilbert Pierce
12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
I got the attached drawing from the SWP Club Vagabond CD. This carries a lot of STUFF other then VAG parts. In fact it has parts used on most of the PA series. This drawing should have everything you need.

The T-P wing assy drawing calls out the pitot tube as p/n 14494 and calls out 4 #4PK screws. The drawing I attached shows only 2 screws used. The VAG CD does not show a p/n 14494. I would think the attached drawing is the one you need. The earlier T-P and Pacer with the combined Pitot and static used a p/n13764.

Zac Weidner
12-07-2009, 10:08 PM
From the tubes I have seen on other airplanes, the 1" that it comes forward in that drawing is not enough. It seems that it should be more like 4" long also, but maybe the ones I have seen were wrong.

taildraggerpilot
12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Not that you want to spend $90, but Univiar sells them.

Zac Weidner
12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Expensive copper! I might call them for dimensions, however.