PDA

View Full Version : Cowl door supports

rmalone
12-30-2009, 08:23 AM
My airplane did not have cowl door hold open supports when I disassembled it. Now that I have built a new cowling I would like to know if the originals had them or any ideas as to what others have done that works well. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

skydogk
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Rex,

My original PA-20 doesn't have any supports, but I like the idea. Maybe fabricate two pieces of steel tubing that telescope inside each other with two ball bearings that spring into two holes when opened to the correct position. To close, push the ball bearings and close the cowling. Of course it you want to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) just make a piece of tubing that is clamped against the upper cowling in the stow position, then pivots down into a "catch" when you want to hold the cowling open.

skydogk

rmalone
12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I do like simple. Thanks for the suggestion.

taildraggerpilot
12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I forgot to rivet a clip on the cowling doors before it was painted. I'm now thinking of using a rod similar to the original, which hinges from the baffling, but the end that interfaces with the cowling door I will use a suction cup. 1/4 in. x .049 wall tubing will work well if it is threaded and a suction cup with threads is installed.

Gilbert Pierce
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I have seen VELCRO used on the cowl door to hold the rod.