PDA

View Full Version : Long-Term Opinions on Denso Alt. Needed

ceweaver
01-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I posted this on the other site, but thought I'd try here too incase some of y'all don't read both.

I'd like to get opinions on the Denso Alternator conversion from long-term users. I'm upgrading my TriPacer and will be installing an alternator sooner or later ($$ dependent so will be sooner if Denso...found supply of new alternators for $133/alternator).

I know there are concerns about the use of auto alternators on aircraft, so I'd like to know the following:

1. How many hours on conversion?
2. Any negatives to conversion?
3. Would you do it again?
4. Can I get a copy of your 337?

I like Homer's installation from Andy's site and would like to go that route with the split master. I want to get as many different 337s as possible to take to the FSDO...so that I can hopefully get it signed off without too much trouble. I will get the FSDO's approval before I start buying parts...

Also, read on the Super Cub site that Denso 100211-1690 and 100211-1680 (part # found) are the same part. I'm going to call the factory this week and try and get some paperwork stating they are the same, but if anybody has paperwork stating that, I'd appreciate a copy.

Thanks,
Chad

Former
2000 Bushby Mustang II
1946 Ercoupe 415-C
1964 PA-28-160

Steve Pierce
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I have installed several. One on my own Pacer which went several hundred hours before I sold it. I think it is still going strong. Dave can chime in if it's not. I plan to test the waters again as the FAA has changed my FSDO. I will scan and post copies of my 337. I installed a circuit breaker switch on the field along with a circuit breaker for the main circuit. I hate the split switch, reminds me of a Cessna and as you may not know they don't last very long. Cessna has a Service Bulletin on replacing them every 5 yrs. if memory serves me correctly.

ceweaver
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks Steve.

I've heard that my FSDO is open to 337s that have been previously approved (I've tried not to read anything into them being open though)...hence my request for as many examples as possible.

As for the split switch, I want to install the most economical (and safe) I can, and having to change every 5 years doesn't sound like either to me.

I look forward to getting the info from you (and others) so I can see what the Feds say.

Happy New Year and thanks for the site here.

Chad

JoeB
01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks,
Chad

Former
2000 Bushby Mustang II
1946 Ercoupe 415-C
1964 PA-28-160

Hi Chad,
Off topic but how did you like that Mustang II ?
I've always taken a liking to that airplane (the speed) but it seemed a bit cramped for any type of travel.
-Joe

Lownslow
01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
As for the split switch, I want to install the most economical (and safe) I can and having to change every 5 years doesn't sound like either to me

I will be installing the master switch and Alt Field toggle switches on my panel next to each other. Spruce sells colored rubber caps for the toggle that I think will work nicely in distinguishing the two. The toggle switches are known to be very reliable and inexpensive. I don't like the Cessna look either.

Lou S.

ceweaver
01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks,

Hi Chad,
Off topic but how did you like that Mustang II ?
I've always taken a liking to that airplane (the speed) but it seemed a bit cramped for any type of travel.
-Joe[/quote]

Joe,

The Mustang II was really nice and fun to fly. I flew it from Richmond, VA to the Fresno, CA area back in April 2005...had a blast! It cruised 155mph at 2400rmp burning 7.8gph (O-320 150hp).

My wife and I flew it to Brunswick, GA and then over to Pensecola, FL back in July 2007 and carried more stuff than you could imagine for the 2 week trip (remained below gross...honestly). See the attached picture for all the junk. We took off just below gross (1600lbs) and were at 11,500' in ~20mins...indicating 120mph during the climb.

I'm 5'10" and roughly 155lbs and my wife is shorter and lighter and it wasn't too tight in there. I'm kicking myself for not getting any time over a Great Lake b/c I was PIC in it over the Atlantic, Pacific, and the Gulf. I like the TriPacer since all 4 of us can fly in it, but miss the speed and the 3rd wheel being where it belongs. Oh, and the deer aren't nearly as impressed with my low passes to scare them off the runway. I'm attaching a picture of the plane during one of the deer passes...

Chad

JoeB
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I think I remember seeing that Mustang II....maybe on Barnstormers (or Sun-n-Fun) not too long ago?!?!?
Looks like a nice airplane and a lot of fun, thanks for the info and the photos!
Joe

Student Pilot
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
We have had a Nippon alternator for a few years now, no trouble and you can leave the landing light on for more than 30 seconds without draining the battery.