PDA

View Full Version : Msg Inbox - Read vs Unread

smcnutt
01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I just noticed that if I try and mark messages in my inbox as read (either by reading them or 'Mark as Read' selection) the messages will not change status to 'Read' as the icon remains an un-opened letter. However, if I select them and choose 'Mark as UnRead' then the icon changes from a closed (meaning UnRead) to and open letter indicating they are "Read".

I also selected some 'Read' messages (already marked with an open letter icon) and chose 'Mark as UnRead' but nothing changed. However, I then selected them again and chose 'Mark as 'Read' and the icons changed to a closed envelope.

Very strange. Almost as if the system has 'Read' vs. 'UnRead' reversed. I assume I'm not crazy or stupid but I guess if I were then maybe I wouldn't know it.:rolleyes:

jnorris
01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I've found the same thing in my inbox as well. Actually, I marked all mine as read one day and came back the next to find them all unread again. But now they seem to be staying put as read. Who knows.

Steve - Did you ever figure out why I can't set up a signature in my profile? Another mystery!

Cheers!

Joe

smcnutt
01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
P.S. I don't like the way the smiley's :smile: look in the posts either. It's hard to tell one from the other since they are so small. Not that it's going to make/break my use of the board but I'm just saying.....

smcnutt
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
By the way, earlier I selected all of my messages and the clicked on 'Mark as UnRead' their icons changed to the open envelope -I assume that icon should idicate they are Read rather than Unread. However, when I looked at the top of the page it now said I had 23 UnRead messages. Maybe the icons are switched somehow?

sj
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I've found the same thing in my inbox as well. Actually, I marked all mine as read one day and came back the next to find them all unread again. But now they seem to be staying put as read. Who knows.

Steve - Did you ever figure out why I can't set up a signature in my profile? Another mystery!

Cheers!

Joe

Joe,

On this board, I have it set so only donating members can have a signature. This cuts down on folks registering just so they can put a big fat link in their signature and make a few posts (obviously, I'm not talking about you in this case). I've had the problem in spades on the "other" website.

Maybe we will allow signatures on request :)

sj

P.S. I will try to get some more legible smilies... http://smilies-world.de/smilies_pictures/1864.gif

Steve Pierce
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
all my old PMs showed not being read. I opened each one and all is back to normal now. All the envelopes are closed now. I would think they would show the envelope open. I like that smile SJ.

Stephen
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't use happy faces much, so that's not a big deal....BUT, I did like on the old forum, that the latest posts came up first. I always thought SW.O had that advantage over SC.O's site. It saves scrolling through the old posts to read the latest. I'll survive either way...BUT...it was nice. The new set-up overall is great!!! Thanks for all the work.

smcnutt
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't use happy faces much, so that's not a big deal....BUT, I did like on the old forum, that the latest posts came up first. I always thought SW.O had that advantage over SC.O's site. It saves scrolling through the old posts to read the latest. I'll survive either way...BUT...it was nice. The new set-up overall is great!!! Thanks for all the work.

That can be set in the Forum Settings / Thread Display Options. Set it to "Newest first".

Steve Pierce
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Stephen, Are you using the "What's New" button? I think between it and Sandy's suggestion it should be as it was.

jnorris
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
On this board, I have it set so only donating members can have a signature. This cuts down on folks registering just so they can put a big fat link in their signature and make a few posts...

Ah, gotcha! I figured it might be something like that. No problem! Thanks for letting me know what's up.

Cheers!

Joe

Stephen
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Stephen, Are you using the "What's New" button? I think between it and Sandy's suggestion it should be as it was.

Thanks...I found it. Yes, just started using the "What's New" and it works well.

smcnutt
01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I guess you never figured out why the Inbox message icons (open-read/closed-unread envelope) are reversed? Not a big deal but just noticed it was still that way.

Steve Pierce
01-28-2010, 02:10 PM
No but I did figure out how to make them all read at the same time without opening each one individually. Of course only after I did open each of mine individually. :(

In the upper right hand corner is a box that says Messages: Click that box and it should highlight them all. Then scroll down to the bottom right corner of the page and there is a box that says Selected Messages with the number of messages selected. Hit that button and it will give you a menu. Click the Mark As Read button and you are done. If you have any trouble let me know.