PDA

View Full Version : Internal side panels

PelleM
01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Deconstructing the parts I have for my Colt project, I constantly find deviations from the original plans and specifications. For instance many of the instruments and related parts comes from Cessnas. I assume that the airplane have gone through at least one major rebuild during its lifetime and thereby being altered. The last fabric covering wasn't really well done, even the aluminium dopes comes of the fabric easily (which I understand it shouldn't).

The latest concern I have are the sides of the cockpit. In the drawings and from what I have seen on at least some planes the insides should be made up by the same fabric as the outside of the plane. But in my plane its made of thin leather covered aluminiumplates, that are fitted and screwed to the sides. Its not a very good fit, but looking OK at least. Is this a solution that was made originally or per later upgrade? I have seen some pictures on this forum that can indicate that I'm not the only one.

I'm thinking of scrapping this solution and going for the original one to save some weight and improve on looks. Any oppinions on Pros and Cons? What surface do you in general put on the fabric? Just paint or glueing cosmetic fabric?

//Pelle

Steve Pierce
02-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I've seen just the fabic painted and I have seen thin upholstery fabric glued directly over the interior fabric that looked nice. I kinda like a nicely painted fabric interior for weight savings myself. You might search interior there was a discussion a while back where some different opinions were related.