PDA

View Full Version : PA-22/20 Spinner Options?

highroad
01-27-2010, 01:05 AM
What are the options for new spinners for the 0-320? It seems the original piper spinners are fairly short? I found these at aircraft spruce http://aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

Are there other options to consider? I wouldn't mind a "longer" spinner as my Pacer already looks a tad bit "squashed", especially the bigger the tires get lol!

Steve Pierce
01-27-2010, 07:12 AM
I like the looks of the stock Piper spinner, just not the price. :wink: I have seen several airplanes with different style spinners and they looked odd to me but it was probably because it was different than what I am used to. The other thing to consider is the approval.

highroad
01-27-2010, 11:19 AM
After looking around some more, I realized that the "short" spinners came on the smaller engines. The 150-160hp tripacer spinner is what I am looking for and the price is steep! Do the super cubs with the O-320 share the same spinner?

Steve Pierce
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I wondered if you were looking at the 115hp "short" spinner. Piper used the same spinner on the 150 hp Pacer, Tri-Pacer, Super Cub, 150 hp Pawnee and the Cherokee. I know the price seems high but if you price a Cessna spinner or any other GA aircraft it will make you feel a little better.

highroad
01-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info Steve

Brian
01-28-2010, 12:39 AM
I have one of the longer style used spinners I don't have a need for if your not looking for new. It has a few small cracks, like 1/4 inch long comming off the screw holes nearest the prop, which could probably be welded and repaired by a skilled heliarc welder. Other wise it looks pretty clean. I would like to get a few bucks for it but don't expect much. I have the frount and rear backing plates for it as well.

Steve I am flying from LAX to DFW tomorrow, then connecting to SPS. I am leaving some really nice So Cal weather for what looks like cold snowey stuff back your way. I am going back there to finish clearing out my Dad's hangar at the Grandfield OK airport, and then driving my old Nissan Pickup back home, which I left there in the hangar back in December when I flew his 59 Comanche 250 out here to El Monte.

Steve do you know an old AI named Al Martin ? He used to run the FBO at WF Valley after Bill Cook got old and sold out. He now runs a small rebuiilding operation at Grandfield. He buys up old C-152's and makes them like new, then sells them to Brazil flight schools where he says flight training is really booming now. Says the 28V C-152 is the trainer of choise down there.

He also was the original STC holder for the TW conversion on our shortwings. He sold it to Redlands Aviation out here in the early 70's before the TW conversion thing really took off. Then Light Planes Components bought it from Red Aero, and of course now Univair holds it. When I first heard this story from him back a few years ago when I flew into the Valley to see my dad, I thought he was making this up, when this old dude came walking out to look at my 22/20 and started telling this story. But I now believe he really is the first onwer of the STC. Pretty neat old guy.

Brian
Pacer 26D
Comanche 31P

highroad
01-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Brian,
Thanks for the offer.....is it painted? I have an "original" on my pacer now that works great, but am looking for an alum. one that I can polish and put on with the borer prop that is going on.

Brian
01-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Yes its painted white. I don't think it would make a good polish canidate, as once the crackes were welded up I think you would be able to see the welded repair without paint to cover over.

highroad
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks again Brian

Steve Pierce
01-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes Brian, I know Al. Beware. Al has a history going back at least 3 decades. I have a hanger apartment an hour south of Wichita Falls if you would like to stop by. We would be glad to have you over if you have time.

I have never had any luck welding these spinners. They have always cracked just outboard of the heat effected zone. Once cracked they become Lee's toys or are used for target practice. :)

Would really enjoy meeting you if you have time.