PDA

View Full Version : Problems Viewing Attachments

sj
02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Everyone should be able to view attachments in the public areas of the website, especially if you are a registered user or member.

If you are having trouble viewing attachments, please let us know! We need to make sure that works.

Thanks!

sj

andya
02-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Everyone should be able to view attachments in the public areas of the website, especially if you are a registered user or member.

If you are having trouble viewing attachments, please let us know! We need to make sure that works.

Thanks!

sj

Not exactly the question you asked but some pictures in the gallery section will not show even though the thumbnail shows up.

sj
02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Andy, I have seen that too. I'm not sure exactly what is going on if it has to do when it is resized or what.

sj

JohnW
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
SJ; I found a poor man's fix for that. If I just click directly on the thumbnail, I'll just get a "blink" -and sometimes a "YouTube-looking kinda box that says 'loading jpg'- and then it snaps back to the Thread (about THREE TIMES since inception has it actually opened the attachment, for me). Sometimes, it goes back to the Thread. Sometimes it just "goes dead" and eventually clicking on the "back arrow" takes it all the way back to the Forum index in one step, skipping the Thread). If instead of simply "clicking", I right click the thumbnail(s) instead, and then click "open link in new tab" or "open link in new window", it successfully loads every time (for me anyway). I have Firefox on a Linux OS. Sounds like maybe an "auto open in new xxxx feature is crashing" problem??? Not a terribly frustrating issue for me, 'slong as I remember to right click first.

Now, another problem I'm having (and it may just be ME that is having it, and I prob'ly SHOULD start a New Thread), new Posts do not seem to be "showing up in a timely manner" after they are Posted when using the "What's New" feature. If I'm looking for something "now", I have to look at the icons in the Main Forums index and check their "color status" and go find what was Posted. THERE ,new Posts seems to show up quickly (at least as "timely" as I am in getting around to getting back...). I've seen them "come in" to the What's New thingie between an hour or so -to- as much as twenty-two hours after they are "time stamped" as having been Posted... even though I may have logged in several times during that time period and they "weren't there". Not that I can't "check manually" if I have to...just 100% functionality of the What's New button WOULD be convenient, IMO. Certainly don't squander any time on this, with what-all else is occupying your waking hours just now! It's "working satisfactorily" as far as I'm concerned, for the time being. "Absolutely perfect ASAP" is not at issue. You're not fired!!! Thx!

sj
02-03-2010, 03:42 PM
John,

The thread list on the home page should be up to the minute. You are correct that the list on the side does not update that quickly, and I will look into reducing that time because it annoys me also.

Can you give me a link one a picture having that behavior? I would like to try it in several different browsers.

Thanks for the workaround, but I hope we can actually get it to work right at some point.

sj

JohnW
02-03-2010, 04:53 PM
SJ; Thanks for the QUICK response! Sorry if I wasn't 100% "clear". But... ANY link to attachments gives me the issue...EVERY link to attachments gives me the issue. All the "cartoon" ones in the ShortWingPipers.Org Threatened... [Thread] attachments would be examples easy for you to find. i.e Post # 73, 82, 84 in that thread not to mention the Initial Post (#1). And ALL the Threads/Posts that have attachments, "across the Board" (so to speak).

The "update What's New" BUTTON (for me) issue goes above and beyond the "slight delay" I witness in the "right hand window" from time to time (uh, I think). Sometimes new Posts are actually listed THERE (the right side window) for me in a timely manner, but I cannot be sure that ALL of them always are. I thought the button was better for a while there because occasionally I would "score" another Post or two, but "not necessarily" so. I can't say if there is in fact a "global issue" with both, or even whether I'm guilty of the GIGO syndrome in my observations!

FYI, I just signed in with the Epiphany Web Browser on this same machine, with "perfect operational results" for the attachment issue (phew! And... I have such a hard time researching Web Browser setting problems!!! It may just be a default setting issue with my "main" Firefox browser). So right there is a "full fix" as far as I'm concerned, for now (me!me!me!). I'll need a little time to figure out if the What's New "issue" is taken care of by the Epiphany Browser as well... I'll report back to you when I'm confident that I have a "good answer" on that. So, as far as I'M concerned, both these "issues" may be tabled for more pressing business until you are more reasonably able to address them. Thx again. John

sj
02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
John, I have not used Ephphany, I mainly use Google Chrome and Firefox (and IE on banking sites, etc, that won't accept anything else). I will see if I can reproduce the behavior with FireFox. When I move the site to the new host soon, it will include an update to PHP, and hopefully this will help things some.

The What's New is supposed to be things that are new since your last visit, and after you read those things they go away. I'm not at all crazy about the way it works compared to the similar feature over on the supercub.org site (view posts since last visit). So that one needs work yet for sure, maybe just to understand what it is it is doing, and then change it to what we want.

My gripe is the sidebar on the right (there is a tab to expand it) as it never seems to update very quickly. When I look into the scheduled operations, it should be refreshed every 15 minutes, but I don't think it is.

Thanks!

sj

P.S. GREAT avatar pic!

sj
02-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Ok, my last post showed up in "whats new" but that was it... hmmmm