PDA

View Full Version : Lite Wieght Battery

Throttle Pusher
03-29-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm trying to remove as much wieght off my
A/P as I work on it.
I heard some planes have lite wieght dry cell
batterys in them, any one know anything about this
and how much wieght saveings it gives you?
Is thier a STC out there or is it done on a 337?
Thanks
Ken

Gilbert Pierce
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I have the Hawker J16 FAA/TSO's and STC'd for the Super Cub installed in my airplane with a 337. It saved 9 pounds installing it in the Clipper battery box. More weight can be saved by installing it without the battery box which is not necessary with this battery.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-hawker-sbs-J16-aircraft-battery.html
http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=242431

halestorm
03-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I just received approval, via 337, to install the Odyssey SBS J-16 PMA'd battery on the firewall. I used a 337 that Stephen posted somewhere as a basis, it requires conversion the the Sutton exhaust which I am doing too. Not sure what the weight savings will be, gone is the wet battery, the box and 3/4 of the cable to the starter, so it should be significant.

I've had the non-PMA'd version of this battery, the PC680, in my motorcycle for almost 7 years with zero problems.

Sam

51-pa22
03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I have read the mfg's statement of longer life and more cranking amps per equal physical size.
now comes the hear-say, Gilbert please chime in,...these dry-cell batteries are more prone to mis-charging. ie easier to damage due to over charge/under charge.
This was from a AC parts house.
How long have you had it and do you have a trickle charger on it?

Gilbert Pierce
03-29-2010, 09:54 PM
I installed this battery on January 20, 2006. Since that time I have never run the battery down cranking on a cold day. Prior to the J16 I would have to hand prop the airplane when it was below 40 because I just never learned how to start it cold. I usually flooded it, ran the battery down, turned the prop backwards to clear it and then hand propped it. Havn't done that with this J16. Oh I still flood it occasionally but I still have enough juice left to get it started after clearing it.

I have never had a trickle charger on it. For that matter I have never had any charger on it . The alternator has always kept it up. I have never gone more than month without flying. After a month of sitting it still shows full charge on my voltmeter. I am using a SkyTec starter. That helps.

I have an Interav alternatior that I put on the aircraft on 2000. According to my EI digital volt/amp meter it puts out 13.5 volts in hot weather and 14.1 in cold weather. The alternator caused no issues of over charging when I was using Gill batteries. i.e. they did not use water. With 4 years on the J-16 it is still going fine. No indication of reduced capacity. Last time I flooded the engine, couple of months ago, it bailed me out and started once I got my s--t together.

Steve Pierce
03-30-2010, 06:49 AM
I always charge the aircraft battery when doing an annual. I have an automatic sensing charger. The Hawker batteries never take any additional charge unlike the lead acid batteries. I have had one in a customers Super Cub for the last 4-5 years with no problem. Friends in Alaska say they see 7-8 years and no problems in the cold temps as well. Another advantage is no gasing when charging on the belly fabric. Seen lots of bad fabric aft of the battery vent. I bought the Hawker for cathy's Tri-Pacer and am about to submit the paperwork for a field approval.

Stephen
03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I've been working on a Pacer that had sat for over three months, which had a Hawlker battery and I never put a charger on it. It cranked just fine. I've also had a Hawlker on my plane for over a year and like it.

Gilbert Pierce
03-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Hawker Batteries do not vent gas like the common lead acid batteries do when charging and discharging. The vapor in the gas condenses on the battery and provides a discharge path for the battery while sitting in your airplane not being used. The J-16 emits no gas hence it needs no battery box or ventilation. You cannot add water to it because it is sealed. The only inspection necessary is insure it hasn't opened it's pressure vent.-unlikely.

51-pa22
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
so the j-16 is enough for the PA-22 with a skytek and a denso 40A inside the original G25 battery box?

now re-digging for a G35 replacement for my pointy nose, low wing, metalized, cub. Problem is, it still has the boat anchor Delco 50A generators.
wanting to rip them out along with the 3 regulators.
It would be interesting to remove another 20lbs off the nose. and 5 lbs of regulators

JimCNY
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Steve, would it be possible to get a copy of your 337 for the Tripacer that I could use to base one on also? My battery just crapped out too.

Stephen
04-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Here is a copy of the 337 that I used for installing the Odyssey Battery. I installed my battery in the engine compartment on the fire wall.

Steve Pierce
04-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Will do. I have not filled it out yet. But will do so and post it here. We got approval on my Dad's Clipper several years ago. He used wood spacers to make up the difference in size.

redbarron55
04-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I would like to install one in my C#####a 150 and I am curious if any of you have done this or anyting like it? I am working on resusitating (sp?) my 150 left over from the FBO flight school and I am using one to get the plane running, planning on installing it in the Pacer if it doesn't work out.
It starts the O-200 beautifully. It is smaller and did he FAA kick on the wood spacers?
It would be no problem except it is more than one pound lighter. Personally that is a big plus, but adds to the FAA problem here.

Thanks,

JDB

Gilbert Pierce
04-03-2010, 09:35 AM
The wood spacers are in the metal battery compartment. The Super Cub STC mounts the battery laying on it's side on a board with a nylon strap holding it down under the seat. I didn't tell the FAA I had a piece of 2x4 taking up the space and they didn't ask how I put a smaller battery in a larger battery box. I comtemplated the best way to take up the space and hesitated on the wood until I remembered that early AD on the Piper battery boxes that required wood insulators to keep the battery from shorting out on the box. The top of my battery box has two wood spacers from that 50's AD so a small wood spacer between the battery and box should be no problem.

Throttle Pusher
04-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok, why the odyssey instead the hawker.
the hawker has more reserve and is a pound lighter.
Is the odyssey better?
Ken

Steve Pierce
04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I use the Hawker because it is PMA'd for the Super Cub.

Stephen
04-03-2010, 05:57 PM
This is were I got my battery.............. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/applications/aircraft.htm

JimCNY
04-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks very much! I figured I'd put it in the existing battery box, at least for now.

nicka
04-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Svenn's aviation has a STC to install a lightweight battery and circuit breaker master switch in the PA-20 and -22. I do not have any details or specifics. The STC number is SA-02734CH

Steve Pierce
04-04-2010, 10:14 AM
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5Crgstc.nsf/0/BEC49EAF829C1FFA8625761F005C3407?OpenDocument

Joshua Svenningsen Contact information. svennandsons@frontiernet.net 651-324-4475

Steve Pierce
04-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I just emailed Josh and will post the details.

GeronimoDriver
04-04-2010, 03:17 PM
so the j-16 is enough for the PA-22 with a skytek and a denso 40A inside the original G25 battery box?

now re-digging for a G35 replacement for my pointy nose, low wing, metalized, cub. Problem is, it still has the boat anchor Delco 50A generators.
wanting to rip them out along with the 3 regulators.
It would be interesting to remove another 20lbs off the nose. and 5 lbs of regulators

I put a Concorde RG35AXC in my "pointy nose, low wing, metalized, cub". It pairs great with the SkyTec starters and I have had no problems whatsoever with it holding a charge or going weak like I did with the old G-35. Dont know how it will work with generators though, I have alternators now...

I will definitely be installing a sealed battery in the Pacer.

Steve Pierce
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Talked to Josh about his STC on the light weight Hawker battery in the Pacer and Tri-Pacer. It also includes replacing the two 30 amp fuses with a circuit breaker switch. You fabricate some straps to make the battery fit the factory battery box. He sells the STC for $100.

Steve Pierce
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Josh is emailing me all the details on all his STCs. I will post the details as soon as I get them. I am going to buy his STC for the battery for my Pacer and Cathy's Tri-Pacer.

Rick-CAS
04-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I too will be adding a Hawker/Oddessey 680 in my Pacer rebuild. I currently have one in my RV-3 and it cranks my 10:1 compression O-320 just fine. My friend has two paired up in his french Nord 3202 (24V) and another has one in a Ryan PT-22. They only have one complaint with them. IF YOU LEAVE THE MASTER SWITCH ON AND LET THEM GO COMPLETLY DEAD THEY WILL NOT TAKE A CHARGE. This was comfirmed by a Hawker employee they questioned (Hawker Battery Products plant is 40 miles from us) and no we can't get any deals going direct. My friends both ruined two week old batteries.

Steve Pierce
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Got the STCs for both Cathy's TriPacer and my Pacer from Josh while I was gone to Sun & Fun.
Material list:
Hawker/Power Safe SBS J16 Battery
Potter & Brumfield W-31-30 circuit breaker switch
1"x .032" x 14 1/2" long piece of 4130 strap
2 each AN3-3A bolts, AN960-10 washers and AN365-1032 nuts.

A little over $200 worth of parts from A/C Spruce. The installation instructions call for a strap in the existing battery box and the installation of the circuit breaker switch in place of the fuses. He is going to amend the STC to eliminate the battery box all tegether and replace it with a plate. He will send out this revision when he gets it. Lighter, cheaper with better service life, I like it.

For $210 I can have everything you need shipped to your door except for the STC if anyone is interested.

Bigjets
05-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Svenn's Aviation has an STC for this battery, installed with a smaller divider in the original battery box, and the STC includes yhr option of replacing the master switch/fuses with a breaker toggle switch.

Beardk2
05-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Had the Concord in my Colt with a generator. It was fine, no problems at all. Have recently put the PlanePower alternator kit on and love it.