PDA

View Full Version : 135 Pacer performance charts?

Kurts
04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm posting this for a local friend who has a Pacer since I don't think he frequents here.

He is wanting to take his 135 horse PA 22/20 out to Utah to go into some unimproved strips and he doesn't have an aircraft flight manual that has any performance figures, let alone for a 135. His manual, from 1953, has a note that says numbers for the 135 weren't available as of that printing.

What he needs is takeoff performance over a 50 ft obstacle data. Anyone have any info on that?

Thanks

Kurt

ricksteph
04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Kurt:
If you could drop me an E-mail I will send that info to you, I think i have it at home(unfortunatly I am at work)
my E mail is ricksteph5@msn.com

Kurts
04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Email sent :)

SuperPacer
04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Kurt,
A friend of mine flew a PA22-135 with us (Pacers) for severial years in Utah and Idaho back country strips with very little performance difference. He did, of course, pack a bit lighter and his time to climb was a few minutes different, but wheather it be Smiley Creek at 7200 msl of on of the Utah strips down south it performed well. I'll also look to see if he has his "performance chart" available.

As a point of interest, We are meeting up with some Supercub folks down at Tangri-La (www.cavemanrance.com) this weekend to explore some of the back country strips of Utah, along the Colorado River etc. We'll post the photos next week.

Enjoy the day

John

ricksteph
04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Take off run 1220 with flaps ...landing roll 500 ft. best rate of climb 84 best angle 70 best rate of climb 620 fpm
Lyc. 0-290-D2 hope this helps

Rick

Kurts
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Maybe you'll run into my buddy with the Pacer (tan with a red stripe) while you're out and about, he's in Utah with it this week exploring some of the back country.

He was looking at his operating handbook and specifically was looking for takeoff over 50ft obstacle distances at higher elevation airports, like 5000 ft high. What we found for a 115 hp Pacer showed almost 4900 feet req but a 125 hp Pacer showed around a thousand feet less than that. His is a 135 and he wanted to know how much better it might be.

Of course I'm trying to talk him into a 160 hp conversion (and selling his 0-290 to me) :)

Rick: 1220 ft takeoff run, at what elevation, and I assume that's not over an obstacle?

Thanks guys,

Kurt

Kurt,
A friend of mine flew a PA22-135 with us (Pacers) for severial years in Utah and Idaho back country strips with very little performance difference. He did, of course, pack a bit lighter and his time to climb was a few minutes different, but wheather it be Smiley Creek at 7200 msl of on of the Utah strips down south it performed well. I'll also look to see if he has his "performance chart" available.

As a point of interest, We are meeting up with some Supercub folks down at Tangri-La (www.cavemanrance.com) this weekend to explore some of the back country strips of Utah, along the Colorado River etc. We'll post the photos next week.

Enjoy the day

John

Throttle Pusher
04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Kurts
I dont know if you were just jokeing but if you want a 135 hp I'm takeing one off my A/P for the 160 upgrade.
As for Utah acouple of freinds of mine are going to be doing some camping there in a couple of weeks.
I wish I could make it but I have to work (unless I win the lotto before then) Hopeing I can catch up with them by
the time they hit the chicken strip in Death Valley.
Ive done a fair amount of flying in the Idaho back country with my 135 hp tripacer, and with just myself in the airplane
and loaded lightly it does well. the lower strips are no problem, the higher strips work as long as theres no trees at the end of them.(AKA like Lords Flats)
Adding a secound person made a big difference, My sugestion is start lower and work your way higher, that way you can get a feel
for what your airplane can do. also you can always camp lower, unload and visit the higher strips you wouldnt be able to get into
safely loaded up with camping gear and such.And always check the density Alt.
Hope Ive helped alittle with your question.

P.S. My avatar is taken at Wilson Bar,one of my more favorite spots.
ken