PDA

View Full Version : does anybody know about Bendix AV80R GPS?

ricksteph
06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I was just trying to find a low cost GPS.....was at first trying to get a reman 196 for like 350.00 but all have been sold this AV80R looks like around 599. and its color just was wondering what else was good.

Thanks for any input.
Rick

MN_flyer1
06-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I bought an HP IPAQ rx5910 on ebay for about $300. It is a PDA with a built in GPS. The software is from Approach Systems, Inc http://www.approach-systems.com. It is very reasonable and is compatible with any Windows PC, tablet, notebook, PDA (Windows Mobile 5 & 6). I recently inquired about the software on the Google Droid OS (HTC PDA). They said they are developing for the IApps first. I am looking for the IAPP release and may then get the IPAD.

I like it because it is in color.

Alaskajerry
06-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi I am a begining pilot (just learning) but do use gps units in my job and at home on a very regular basis. I just bought the new Garmin 500 for my plane and it is awesome (way better than the marine and handhelds I use all the time). I love the touch screen and it has a lot of useful info in it preloaded.
It cost around $800.00 and comes with several different mounts. If you can afford the extra money its well worth the cost.

Bill

Curly
06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Rick,
I picked up an AV80R at Sun and Fun for $599 (about $AUD650 - here they are $895) and while I have not tried it in the aeroplane yet (Patsy is still in the workshop getting her makeover) it works great in the car!
The detail they pack onto one small SD card is simply amazing. It was easy to set up - the touch screen works ok and the software appears simple enough to follow. I am not overly fond of the graphics but I bought it as a tool to use in the aeroplane, not to play computer games on. (However I will set it up with music in the aeroplane) I also purchased a Air Gizmo panel mount for it but I may not be able to use it as my eyesight aint what it used to be. The middle of the panel is just between my bifocal "short/long vision" so I may just mount it on the control column with the included mount. There is a "discussion group" on Yahoo that may be worth a visit.(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BendixKingAV8OR/)

Student Pilot
06-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Rick,
I also purchased a Air Gizmo panel mount for it but I may not be able to use it as my eyesight aint what it used to be. The middle of the panel is just between my bifocal "short/long vision" so I may just mount it on the control column with the included mount. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BendixKingAV8OR/)

They have found out what causes the failing eyesight now Curleybloke, like yoo I suffer also. I don't mind earing the glasses, it's the hairy palms I don't like.

Curly
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Damn! I thought it was only your hearing it affected (and I am stone motherless deaf!) :confused:

Steve Pierce
06-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Are we gonna have to put you Aussie's in your own special section? :cool:

Curly
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Nah! We'll try to keep ourselves nice. :wink:

Pacer42Z
06-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I bought the Bendix AV8OR about a year ago together with the XM-Weather receiver. I love it! The unit is easy to use and very easy to read in the airplane. I fly IFR with my Pacer and the unit with the XM Weahter has helped me to navigate (with ATC help as well) to get around some serious weather while flying through some managable weather. It is really nice that I can now monitor my destination weather during the whole flight and decide on an alternate airport long before I get there. The unit is also very nice for VFR flying with a detailed moving map and terain warning feature. I think it is as good as the much over priced Garmin products.

Juergen
Pacer 3342Z