PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Rear Mounted

richardb
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Hello All,

Would anyone know what needs to be done for documenting a rear mounted oil cooler, and where to obtain the documents? Mine are located above the mags and in the center of the rear cylinders. Also is this a common modification?

I'm almost finished with my first annual, after 5 months. And, I'm chomping at the bite to get back in the air. I'm beginnig to think "do I remember how to fly", or is this just the annual from HELL.

Regards
Richard

Steve Pierce
07-07-2010, 09:56 PM
The Stewarts have an STC for a rear mounted oil cooler. www.stewartsystems.aero

richardb
07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello Steve,

Thanks for replying. Would you know the location and attachment method for the original loction of the oil cooler on my Tri Pacer with O290 D2. I don't have a problem with over heating, it rarly rises above 200 degrees, but my mechanic is questioning its location.

Richard

Steve Pierce
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
You might look at the parts manual. I think the O-235 had a cooler in the middle of the rear baffle. Most O-290 Tri-Pacers I have seen have the cooler in the nosebowl.

P.o.P.
07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
There was a early s/n ( 15th?) Tri-Pacer with a cooler mounted @ the Upper Rear of engine.

Only one I recall that way.

Small cooler with thick fins is my recollection.

JohnW
07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
PA-22-125 Serial Numbers 22-1 thru 22-533 inclusive had the oil cooler mounted on the firewall (and no "snout" on the nose bowl). This was a carryover from the PA-20s. To the best of my [possibly temporarily overheated] knowlege, Piper never used an oil cooler with the O-235.

Now...according to the TCDS, serial number 22-1 AND UP are eligible as a Model PA-22 (no dash number), and therefore the O-290 (no dash number) is an eligible engine. If the FWF is as per the Piper Drawings for the PA-22-125, then this would be a legal installation (even the oil cooler) even for later airplanes that had the -D2 (or 150 or even the 160 hp engines). It'd been nice if you included your serial number... but a few extra words will cover it. If this is a "later airplane" refitted with the earlier engine, then there would only be a log book entry for the retrofit, required.

richardb
07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
John,

My Tri Pacer's serial number is 130 - 1951 PA22-130. After researching further today, I beleave you're correct; and my plane was originaly equipted with the oil cooler mounted on the fire wall above the mags and in the center of rear baffels.

Thank you all for your help. My mechanic is happey with the results of the information given to him and we're now finishing up with installing oil pump gears per the AD. After that the only item reminaing is a 337 for the Cleveland wheels and brakes, then she should be back among the clouds happy as ever- of course taking me along with her.

Regards
Richard

Steve Pierce
07-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Great Richard. Can you post a picture of your oil cooler installation? Can't wait to hear she has flown.

GeronimoDriver
07-22-2010, 10:23 PM
My PA-20 with the O-290-D has the cooler on the rear baffle as well, I prefer the look of the clean nose bowl anyway.