PDA

View Full Version : Sun Visors

Bob M
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Rosen wants $450.00 for a pair of PA 22 tube mount sun visors! I kinda thought that was not the best option out there. I'll need to buy something at OSH (that's a rule) so if there are better options out there that I can put on my shopping list, I just knew you guys would know all about it!

Bob

nicka
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Rosen is out of their mind. I've seen guys just buy a piece of plastic and put one of those metal clamps on them and clamp them to their cross braces or whatever is convenient. You can buy tinted acrylic/plexiglas whatever at those plastic specialty shops.

smcnutt
07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Andy's site (page 2, 2nd column, 1/2 way down) has information on an original sun visor that looks like it would be fairly easy to replicate.
http://home.earthlink.net/~flynrow/id1.html

RobertC
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Check list, $7.50, tucked between windsheild and frame.

robertc

JohnW
07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I've been using a couple of "slap-on" sun visors for 35 years. Got mine at Sporty's, and they still sell 'em! The price has doubled over the years...now they're $7.95 and they're the best thing to come along since knobs on drawers.

http://sportys.com/source/features/search/search.cfm?keywords=sun+visor&catalog=PilotShop&x=0&y=0

smcnutt
07-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I've been using a couple of "slap-on" sun visors for 35 years. Got mine at Sporty's, and they still sell 'em! The price has doubled over the years...now they're $7.95 and they're the best thing to come along since knobs on drawers.

http://sportys.com/source/features/search/search.cfm?keywords=sun+visor&catalog=PilotShop&x=0&y=0
I've got those as well but sometimes have problems getting them to stay in place.

Larry Huntley
07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Many years ago I found some velcro that pretty much matched my headliner and mounted a strip all the way across the front of the front spar carry through. I cut a number of pieces of that soft green plastic sheet and stuck the other side of the velcro on them. I just pick up whichever shape I like and slap it in place. I can't imagine anything that would work any better at any price. I have $5-6 in all of it and have quite a bit of green plastic left over. Larry

Rudder Bug
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I've ordered mine from Sporty's, can't wait to try them.

I saw those in some jumbo jet cockpits and they are great. My last early morning eastbound trip to Quebec City was a nightmare and even worse, flying a DHC-3T westbound in the Arctic in the middle of the 2 hour sunset in winter with the low and strong light in my face. My worst ennemy doesn't deserve that!

Thanks for the hint AGAIN JohnW!

Giles

JohnW
07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I've got those as well but sometimes have problems getting them to stay in place.

They work on static electricity, Sandy...RUB 'EM ON YOUR HEAD before you slap 'em up! (you ARE putting them ON THE WINDSHIELD, right? I tried slapping them on my forehead so they hang in front of my eyes, and your right...they don't stick no too pretty good)

Rudder Bug
07-11-2010, 05:53 PM
JohnW,

I still got hair but its all white, and still able to produce static.

If you don't have hair on your head anymore, may I suggest slapping your sun visors on your copilot forehead instead? That's what they are for aren't they? (the copilots, not the sun visors).

Hairy Giles