PDA

View Full Version : Supercub style fuel sight gauges

nicka
07-31-2010, 12:07 PM
I was posting this to go along with the thread "Large Fuel Tanks", has anyone installed supercub style fuel sight gauges in their Pacer? If so was it field approved? Aslo could I get some pics? I know Atlee Dodge tanks use a clear rubber tube, but I would like to use the Dakota Cub gauges. I will be installing a skylight so there should be no problem with mounting gauges to the wing root. I have looked at a schematic for the Pacer and Cub fuel systems and the differences between the two, but was hoping to hear from anyone else who may have done this.

Yellow Baron
07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Check the attached mandatory service bulletin for the Attlee Dodge ones (I have the 30.5 gal tanks) - can send pics but have no skylight... so less relevant.

nicka
07-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I was interested in how they are plumbed into the tank w/ the Pacer fuel sytem, the cubs fuel system is different. Anyways I want to use Dakota Cub gages. I think the Atlee Dodge tubes are a poor idea and just ugly( I'll take them over the electric though), and I am aware that they have had some cracking leaking issues. Also the Atlee tank set up is n ot approved fopr the PA20, only the PA22, so I will have to seek a field approval to deviate from the Dakota Cub STC.I would appreciate some pics of how it is plumbed into the tank if not too much trouble.

Stephen
07-31-2010, 08:30 PM
nicka...I just got a field approval for putting the Atlee tanks and sight gauges int a PA-20. It took an extra long time as the AFM had to be modified and it had to go through Aicraft Certification. I plan to install the Dakota Tanks and gauges in my 22/20 in the next year. Stock PA 20 or 22 tanks need to have tubes welded on the fuel tanks to add a sight gauge, which are not a big deal but should be field approved. I'm not sure if PA-18 tanks which already have the tubes could be installed.

YB, how long have you had the Dodge tanks???...are you happy with them??? I was going to install them for a customer, but the approval took too long.

nicka
08-01-2010, 12:16 AM
YB, how long have you had the Dodge tanks???...are you happy with them??? I was going to install them for a customer, but the approval took too long.[/QUOTE]

I am installing Dakota Cub tanks, I have seen quite a few installations with the Atlee Dodge tanks and I am not a big fan for a couple of reasons, I do not like the fact that the Atlee tank makes the lid and leaves a small gap around the tank in the wing, also I don't like the sight glass tubes that Atlee uses, they have had problems with the tubes yellowing and cracking, and I have had people complain that the sight glass will show empty with quite a bit of fuel in tank, Atlee has several service bulletins about them. A friend of mine hathe way my friend does like the range s them in a PA22/20-180 and he said sometimes at low fuel levels when he lands short the fuel sloshes and you can feel it in the airplane rocking you forward( could be bad at the wrong time). I have the STC for the Dakota tanks but they want you to use the original electric gauges and I would rather use their sight glass, just a better product IMO. By the way the extra range is really great whatever you go with. The Dakota Cub setup is really nice, I will say you have to disassemble the whole inboard wing to do it, from the #2 compression fitting inboard, because on a Pacer wing you have to add a rib to pick up the tank lid, this is one collossal PIA!!!

Yellow Baron
08-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Attlee Dodge Tanks are great (I got a PA22/20 so paperwork was no issue), to add to it I have a removable ferry tank with an extra 21gals, pushing 82 gals on take- off. (see www.dukeairborninvestments.com (http://www.dukeairborninvestments.com))
I can cross Africa coast to coast with that range... also got a EI fuel flow meter for that on the panel.

Had no real issue with the sight gauges so far - no cracking, leaking in 7 years - just a bit of discolouration - but the Mandatory Bulletin triggering fitting new pipes are sorting that out.
(People might have leaks because they use the wrong spec pipes to attach them.)

Plumbing is easy - the Attlee Dodge tanks have a provision welded onto them to attach them. (I could get a pic of that, but it is easier to see on the tank drawing as the wing root cover is too tight to get a camera in there).

Attached old and new (after Mandatory Bulletin) pics of the pipes installed. The new scales are 'work in progress'.

The only real issue is the sight gauges are softish and it is difficult to attach a nice scales to them (last time I wrote/marked straight onto them which was not so neat) to calibrate them in the Piper ceiling.

I'd appreciate if some one has a better idea without taking out the entire ceiling...

Stephen
08-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the pictures....I spent a lot of time thinking about how to install these gauges with a head liner...yours came out tidy and looks simple.