PDA

View Full Version : cowl latches

Terry E
08-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I need a set of cowl latches for my 22 I have the upper halfs but not the lowers. Im making a new lower cowl as I have none.
Also need two tiedown brackets for the upper spar bolt. I see univar has them but any other help would be great.

Thanks Terry...

Steve Pierce
08-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Univair and Dakota Cub make the latches and the tie down fittings. Cub Crafters makes stainless steel tie down fittings also.

Terry E
08-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Steve, I found the entire latch at Wag-Aero for $127.50 ouch and cant find it at Univair I ordered the SS tiedowns from Cub crafters. Have you seen them at Univair or DC?
Terry

Terry E
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Im asking about the female part of the cowl latch..
Terry

SuperPacer
08-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Terry,

I have a set of 4 used female recepticles for the lower cowl that are available for $20.00 for the set. PM or call if interested, 801 499-0413

John Kobbeman
Ogden Utah

JohnW
08-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, I doubt you can beat that generous offer "used", but they ARE in the Univair catalog. They are "hidden" in plain sight in the Piper Section(s) but they are also "carried" in the Stinson Section (and MUCH easier to locate there). The Stinson part number can then be "chased backwards" back in the Piper Section. These are IDENTICAL pieces that Stinson actually used first, and Piper "adopted" then because they are basically the finest cowl latching system in that era.

The Stinson "receptacle cup" is p/n 6021401-36, the "upper part" is p/n 6021401-22 and individual piece/parts are serviced separately ( the "pin" that retains the wing nut twisty thingie is p/n 99836 and the "fastener receptacle" that the wing nut thingies locks in -and helps retain the "cup" in position- is 99947P130.

I say again...these ARE the parts that Piper used when they built the new cowls [back when] on the Production Line. The got them "from " Stinson (take it any way you want to) and renamed them with their own part number. When you DO "find them" in Univair's catalog, Piper Section, there it'll say "use Stinson p/n "such-and-such"". These are 100% DIRECT replacement parts, not "just" a reasonable facsimile.

Terry E
08-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks John I PM ed ya and thanks John W for the help on wear I can get them and P/Ns ..

Terry