PDA

View Full Version : Calling all VA, NC, WV, MD Shortwingers

ceweaver
08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I'd like to try and get a bunch of Shortwingers together for a fly-in one Saturday (Sunday's don't work for me b/c of church). I know September is pretty busy here in VA, so I'm thinking October might be a good month. I'm open to suggestions on destinations (should have easily accessible food and something to entertain wives/children)...

Here are some ideas:

Tangier Island (TGI)
First Flight (FFA)
Lynchburg (LYH) - We can go visit National D-Day Memorial and have a picnic (we'll have to figure out ground transportation)
Asheboro (HBI) - There's a museum on the field and Davidson County (EXX) is close and there's BBQ (real BBQ) within 1 mile of the field.

It'd be nice to have quite a few ShortWings fly-in for a gathering!

Thoughts, comments...thanks!

Chad

Throttle Pusher
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
sounds great count me in.

ceweaver
08-25-2010, 07:19 AM
I see you're in WA, how much lead-time will you need to get back east?

TNFlyer
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Chad,

If you have it on one of the last two weekends in Oct I will be available. Coming from East TN it could be a day trip or overnight for me depending on where you end up having it. Keep us posted.

Mark

ceweaver
08-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Mark,

I'll shoot for one of the last two weeks of OCT. Do you have a preference on locations? I haven't done Asheboro, but the BBQ at EXX is good?

Chad

Throttle Pusher
08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Ashboro sounds good to me as well.
As for the lead time my plane is in washington but I work in Charlotte NC. so I guess I'll have to drive.
I am looking forward to meeting some of the local ShrtWingers.

Ken

Steve Pierce
08-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I bet the Appalachians are beautiful in Oct. Wish I had the time.

TNFlyer
08-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Chad,

Ashboro is good for me and BBQ is always good. I have heard that the BBQ at KMTV, Martinsville VA, The flying Pig, is supposed to be good also. Maybe others will chime in and make some suggestions also as I have not done any visiting in VA yet, and just a little in NC. Most of my flying has been to the west and south of Knoxville. As Steve says, the Mountains ought to be beautiful at that time.

Mark

ceweaver
08-26-2010, 11:15 AM
We'll shoot for 10/23 with a rain date of 10/30 with 2 stops, HBI and their museum http://www.ncairmuseum.org/index.php and Lexington (EXX) and their BBQ. Back Country BBQ is located within 1 mile of the airport and once I get an idea of how many folks are coming, I'll start trying to figure out how we'll get there (may rent a car and shuttle folks if the airport can't get us there).

I hope the colors are nice this fall, but I'm afraid with the really dry weather we've had this summer the leaves may just turn brown and drop. We'll know soon enough...

Chad

PS - I don't know anything about the museum, but I can vouch for the BBQ.

smcnutt
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I won't be making it but I just saw this place -The Pik N Pig, Carthage, North Carolina (http://www.pik-n-pig.com/piknpig.html)- in Pilot Getaways magazine and it looked pretty good. http://www.pilotgetaways.com/current (about 1/2 way down the page. Gotta love fly-in BBQ. I think the airport identifier is 5NC3. Like I said, I've never been there and can't make this fly-in but I just thought I would throw a wrench in the works.:rolleyes:

ceweaver
08-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the link. I saw that in Pilot Getaways too, we may stop there on the way back from Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks and give it a shot. There's a difference between eastern NC BBQ and real BBQ from western NC (Lexington area), but won't go into that here. I've got family in Lexington, so if need be, I'll holler at them and see if they can help shuttle us to the restaurant.

NC Colt
08-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Well all of the places in NC you have mentioned are great. I go to Carthage every chance I get. Great BBQ and on the weekends come early. All kinds of planes show up and with good weather lots of them. The resturant is CLOSE to the strip. Sit out under the shelter,eat, watch planes.

The museum is only about a 15-20 minute flight. EXX has the original lexington bbq. Its about another 15 minutes away from HBI.
World Golf Hall of Fame in Pinehurst. Moore County airport. just south of Cart. I would be love to see all of theSW's But have to work the FBO at 5W8 (Siler City Intergallactic) that week.

Bill

TNFlyer
08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Chad,

Sounds like a plan. Have it noted on the calendar. Now the weather watch starts.

Mark

NC Colt
08-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Chad, I worked a deal. I am off both weekends. I'M in.

Bil

ceweaver
08-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Sounds great Bill!

So there's 4 of us from the site, and I've got a guy trying to make it from western VA in a TriPacer. There's a new private pilot at W96 who wants to rent a 172 and follow me down, so he's probably coming too.

I just realized that 10/30 probably won't work for me as a rain date (got a shot at really good seats for the Shuttle launch 11/1 and I'll need to be heading down there if it happens). Keep the 2nd Saturday in November in mind as our rain date in case I do get to go. How does that sound for everybody?

Had a great day with the family today...flying TriPacer, logging .3 actual instrument (wife and daughter's first cloud time), eating lunch at SFQ, watching load after load of skydivers, seeing a JU-52 with the kids, we even took Yahtzee with us and played while sitting and waiting for the next load of divers.

Y'all have a good weekend!

Chad