PDA

View Full Version : Had a bit of a moment tonight.

Grantmac
09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
So I fly my Clipper off of a Naval Air Station and that has some very cool aspects and different operating procedures.

Tonight on the way back in I thought the ATIS stated that the arrestor cables were derigged, my mistake.

So there I was just post-flare doing probably 50mph when I see the arresting gear in my way. If you haven't see them before its a 1" cable 3" off the runway suspended on 6" rubber discs.
I only had time to aim between the discs and hope for the best. Well I wouldn't do it again on purpose but it actually didn't feel all that bad, she rolled right over. I've felt worse bumps on paved strips and in the backcountry.

Of course I mistook my taxi instructions while attempting to make sure I still had a tailwheel ;)

Sure is a testament to the toughness of the gear on these aircraft.

-Grant

PeterL
09-24-2010, 11:27 PM
WOW, I bet you would not be doing that again. I remember back when the National Guard at Great Falls Mont. had F-105's and had the cables up, I was coming in with a new Cessna 177 and it made me situp straight and look for them...

Peter Lubig

d.grimm
09-25-2010, 09:58 AM
We had a student pilot in a Warrior hit them, took the left landing gear out of the wing.
Dave

Troy Hamon
09-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I had a flight this summer where the ATIS included the information that the arrestor cables were deployed. The wind was cross to both runways, about the same, so I expected to backtaxi for 18. But the wind had shifted since the ATIS and favored 12, so tower told me the updated wind and asked if I wanted 12 instead. I said sure, got ready, turned onto 12 for an intersection departure...and there was an arrestor cable in my windshield, growing larger as we rolled. I had totally discounted the information because I had been focused on 18. We had a plane loaded to gross, but enough room, so I kept the coals poured on and pulled full flaps about 200 feet before the cables and we flew up and away. I have a little extra synapse in my brain just waiting to listen for the cables now. I've landed over them a few times, makes for good practice clearing something on landing.