PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or the plane?

Airops2010
10-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok this may sound like a dumb question. But here it goes. I have been flying Cessna's all my life mostly 150 and and some 172's and 185. But my Tripacer seems more to get thrown around more in less wind and I would think I wouldn't want to fly it much beyond 20 knots, and seems to keep me on my feet more. Does anyone else notices this? I would assume because its a short tail short wing plane that this happens. Anyhow any pilots advise would be appreciated. Also has anyone disconnected the linkage cables between the rudder and aileron? Just curious.

Troy Hamon
10-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I've never flown anything other than a TriPacer, so my ability to answer your question is limited by that. I find ground handling to be the limiting factor. A week or so ago, with wind 29 gusting high 30s the plane was dancing while I sat in it (ATIS said only 18 kts or I wouldn't have been in the plane...), at which point I got back out and tied it down. But I've operated on the ground with wind to 18 and gusts to 24 or 26. In the air, doesn't matter to me what the wind is, just the gust factor or turbulence (and whether I have enough fuel). It makes a big difference if you are at gross or well under. The airplane is more stable when heavy. Solo pattern work with wind 12G20 at a 40 degree angle to the runway was a major effort, but with a load it is not nearly as challenging.

The legality of removing interconnects depends on your particular vintage of PA-22. The earlier ones don't appear to have any approval available to do it, but I don't know the specific years or serial numbers off the top of my head, just that our plane fits into that group. But there is no requirement for tension on the interconnect, it isn't in the type certificate or any other approved data that I'm aware of. So our interconnects got pretty loose during the last annual...

av8ing
10-04-2010, 07:58 AM
I learned in Cessnas and until I got my first shortwing last year, that is mostly what I flew and instructed in. I agree with you that the shortwing is more susceptible to turbulence than the Cessnas. Shortwings seem to run out of aileron authority more quickly than I was used to. That is probably due to the fact that the ailerons are smaller which give them less authority. It just takes some getting used to. Shortwings are a more challenging plane to fly in windy conditions than the Cessna “land-o-matic” but the challenge can be much more rewarding too. Just keep practicing and you will get better at it.
I have also disconnected the interconnect in my plane. I like flying it much better without it. You can do it with just a logbook entry from an A&P if your TP has the right serial number according to the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS). The range of serial numbers is PA-22-150 Serial numbers 22-3218, 22-3387, and up, or all PA-22-160’s. You have to do it per drawing 14926 (available on the drawing CD). It involves disconnecting the cables (not cutting them) then stowing them per the drawing. You also have to install a new steering horn with springs attached to it and also install a placard in the cockpit. You’ll have to open your wallet a bit because the clamps, springs, and horn all aren’t cheap. I think I spent $200-$300 dollars. I’d be happy to help you through it if you like. I had a lot of help from JohnW on the other site (http://www.shortwing.org/forum/showthread.php?3208-Disconnecting-the-Interconnect&highlight=interconnect). That thread is still there if you want to read through it. But feel free to ask me questions. I know I asked a ton of them when I was going through it.

Throttle Pusher
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Thats why they call the Cessna's HEAVY METAL...

Thats also why you get more performance Hp to Hp with a PA-22 or 20.
Theirs trade offs both directions but personaly I like the Tri-Pacer better.
Just my own opinion.

Airops2010
10-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for that information I'm getting more use to flying the tripacer and it's growing on me. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my imagination lol