PDA

View Full Version : Various airfoils that have been used on experimental pacers

cook11
11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Just wondering what airfoils have been used on experimental pacers. I have seen somewhere on the Internet someone asking if the Bede BD-4 cantilever wing can be used?

d.grimm
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I know a guy that built a clip-wing Taylorcraft wing and put it on a Vagabond.
Trailing edge of the wing didn't match fuselage line and he said the angle of incidence wasn't quite right.
Was told it didn't fly as well or any faster than the original.
Dave

Throttle Pusher
11-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Steve
What do you think of the Backcountry leading edge slats.

Steve Pierce
11-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Wayne Mackey designed the slats that Back Country Cubs are using after years and years of building and experimenting with Super Cubs. The Super Cub I flew with Wayne's/BCC slats were amazing. It was a heavy Cub that did not feel heavy and was amazing in slow flight and stall characteristics.

Search Slatted Wing Super Cub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dDRkkFd2rE) on You Tube and you will see some of my videos.

Throttle Pusher
11-14-2010, 02:01 PM
How do you think Wayne Mackey's slats would do on a Pacer or Tripacer.I wonder if this would be a less expensive way to go over the Slotted wings of the Super Pacer?

MSS
11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
A guy named Otto Koppen designed the Helio Courier off of a Vagabond.
I dont know if that No.1 had his own slats but I recall they were similar to Handley-Page style.
These are not much diff than Mackey's.
You need to have a goal in mind before you start shopping.
Slots, slats, gaps, flaps, spoilers, VGs, augmentors... it all boils down to high pressure vs low pressure and separation or not.

For as minimalistic as the PA-15 was, it was responsible for the revival (survival) of Piper, and the development of the Helio Courier.
I'm sure there are others...
I'll watch here to see what can be added to the list.