PDA

View Full Version : Spray equipment for Poly-Fiber

Tadpole
11-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I want to get my own spray equipment for doing my covering and painting. Polyfiber says they recommend HVLP sprayers of good quality, but I'm looking for some more clear advice here.

I don't even have an air compressor, so depending on what equipment I'm looking at here, I figure I'll pick one of those up too. Been using my IA's compressor at his hangar, but going to cover and paint in my garage so I want to get my own stuff....since eventually as an A&P I will need it anyway.

Throttle Pusher
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Iv used cheep sprayers expensive ones and one that even blew hot air for faster drying times, Dont buy that one.
I dont have the models here with me so I cant give you any model numbers. Dont buy a cheep one, its hard to impossible to get good results.
Neather do you need to get a really expensive one. go down to a automotive paint store talk with them they should be able to give you good advice. if it comes down to two one more expensive than the other go with the more expensive one. This is an item that you will have for the rest of your life. Make it a good one.

Tadpole
11-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I agree, no cheap stuff, but I don't want very expensive either. I want quality equipment that will do a nice job for aircraft and that will be the only thing it'll be used for....many years to come.

gliderman
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi tadpole

I just did some fabric work and used the HVLP system.. it worked phenominally. If you can get one used ..... also you can use the turbine for spraying and a fresh air supply when spraying cyanates
Don't cheap out on the gun though
my 2 cents..

Tadpole
11-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi tadpole

I just did some fabric work and used the HVLP system.. it worked phenominally. If you can get one used ..... also you can use the turbine for spraying and a fresh air supply when spraying cyanates
Don't cheap out on the gun though
my 2 cents..

I still am trying to understand the HVLP thing. One guy told me it was a gun that you use on a regular air compressor, another one told me it's a separate system that plugs in the wall, no air compressor needed. I saw one system that wasn't described well at Aircraft Spruce and it said it had the fresh air supply too, that sounds like a great option, especially since I'll be spraying in my garage. I should add that I don't currently have an air compressor, so if the second thing I was told is true, that might be a good way to go. Figured I'd be buying a compressor and other things anyway...if I can hold off on compressor that would be good too for now.

Grantmac
11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
A good HVLP gun is one part of the system. You also need a precise low-pressure regulator with an oil filter and water trap. A good finish relies on a constant flow of clean, dry air.
This is of course for a gun which runs on a compressor. There are units which run on their own air source but I have no experience with them.
A small compressor really isn't much of an expense in the grand scheme and its really something that will make a variety of jobs a lot easier, I'd suggest you get yourself one.

-Grant

Throttle Pusher
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
A good quality medium priced gun, you shouldnt have to get a high priced one. I could not tell the difference between the two when spraying.
Once again, find someone who sprays alot they shoukd be able to get you strait to the gun you want.
Sorry if I was on the west coast Id be able to tell you which one I own (well I own 4) but I have one I realy like.
If you can hold out till jan I can get you the info.

Tadpole
11-14-2010, 11:50 PM
find someone who sprays alot they shoukd be able to get you strait to the gun you want.

That's why I posted here haha!

Tadpole
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
A good HVLP gun is one part of the system. You also need a precise low-pressure regulator with an oil filter and water trap. A good finish relies on a constant flow of clean, dry air.
This is of course for a gun which runs on a compressor. There are units which run on their own air source but I have no experience with them.
A small compressor really isn't much of an expense in the grand scheme and its really something that will make a variety of jobs a lot easier, I'd suggest you get yourself one.

-Grant

I have a very old, loud, small compressor which isn't large enough to handle spraying.....I'd like to upgrade it at some point anyway. Its really only good for small jobs.

P.o.P.
11-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I've had a Croix for about 20 years.

The turbine is very similar to a "Tank Type" vacuum cleaner.

Weight & Current draw are low.

It does heat the air due to compression.

Getting an extra length of duct ( like a vacuum hose) eliminates the difficulty.

The gun is unique to the turbine system.

The turbine supplies dry , clean air.

VERY portable.

If you use the "Compressor Type" I would suggest you get the

largest compressor your wallet & WIRING can handle.

A lot of compressors will not keep up with the gun.

Devilbis had a unit that ran constantly but cycled the compressor on & off.

With either system I would opt for a "Pressure Pot" and breathing air.

Curly
11-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Tadpole - I have used both high pressure and HVLP in my opinion you can't go past a HVLP system. Low pressure means a lot less overspray and therefore wasted paint - and the paint is bloody expensive. Also it seems to be much easier for a novice painter (me) to get a good finish. There are two types of HVLP guns - turbine (self contained) and conversion type which uses a normal high pressure compressor with a low pressure filter/regulator. You can get cheap so called "HVLP" guns out of China but they are crap (how do I know that?) and if you go with a conversion gun, spend the money and get a DeVilbus or similar. I picked up an Apollo turbine gun at Airventure and made up my own turbine (basically just a small box with a couple of automotive filters). You can buy a 3 rotor turbine (basically a vac. cleaner motor) from Amatek, which will run both the gun and a fresh air line to a mask. They do heat up the air - which is the reason the Stewarts don't like them for their process. However as PoP suggested, I also overcame that problem by using an extra long delivery hose. I experimented with a copper cooling coil but found it was not necessary. I did a boat and trailer to get used to it and apart from the 3 stage turbine delivering too much air (fixed by slowing it down with a "dimmer switch") it works a treat. Also much cheaper to run as my shop compressor has a 3HP motor which uses electricity like there is no tomorrow!

Frank Green
11-15-2010, 08:55 AM
I use the Finex FX100 and FX 300 by Sharpe. Medium priced and I had excellent results. I use the small one a lot. Many small parts and cramped places to paint . Especialy good for the tubing as you can adjust it down to a 1" patern . Overspray costs a lot. It will pay for itself. I get many compliments on the finish on my plane. Just as important is planning your personal protection when painting. I really like the full face remote air system and cover up the rest with a disposable tvek "bunny" suit and gloves. I feed the face mask with the same air from the compressor but thru a seperate regulator and filter.

gliderman
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Tadpole

this is what we used:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/GRACO-CROIX-CX-8-HVLP-TURBINE-COMPRESSOR-SYSTEM-SAVE-/290499594198?pt=Paint_Paint_Supplies&hash=item43a32007d6

we made a "Y" coupling and one line runs to the mask and one to the gun.

hope this helps
shane

gliderman
11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
for the mask we retrofited an old respirator

Frank Green
11-16-2010, 07:54 AM
When spraying epoxy primer or areothane or any of the 2 part mix and shoots for that matter it is very important that you protect your eyes as much as your lungs. You can absorb just as much thru your eyes and I highly recomend full face coverage protection.

Steve Pierce
11-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I have an HVLP turbine system. Works great for Polyfiber and Polytone. I would use a pressure gun for Aerothane or Randthane though. Too much orange peel with the HVLP turbine on the polyurethane top coats.

Larry Huntley
11-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Tadpole,
I am using a Devilbis Finishline 3 that was recommended by Dan Stewart. I think I paid about $200 for it from Spray Gun Depot. I have painted 3+ airplanes with it and have been very happy w/ it. It is a topload, which is fairly important when using expensive paint. It will use every last drop. Disadvantage is that it requires about 12-13cu.ft. of air. That is a fair size compresser. I have a turbine gun that works very well ,but don't use it anymore because I waste paint. There is always a 1/2 cup or so in the bottom of the cup that won't spray. Larry

sdemeyer
11-18-2010, 05:39 PM
I second the Devilbis Finishline 3. I have used this on a number of paint jobs ( not all on aircraft ) and have been very happy with the result. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I just purchased another setup a few days ago and paid $129 from TCP Global.

Tadpole
12-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Well I ended up with a good location to do all this. A friend has a paint booth built into a hangar he has that he's going to let me borrow. Turns out its at the same airpark, just up the road! Heated, ventilated, filtered, huge air compressor, water separator and filter, so on. Another guy there is going to let me borrow his spray equipment. I just purchased a fresh air, hooded, respirator system.

I'm running out of excuses to start laying fabric and so on!

pistoncan
12-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Ignoring turbines. HVLP is just High velocity, low pressure. They blow alot of paint and not much air. The type of guns that usually have a gravity tank on top. The advantage to them is you don;t have wasted paint in a cup like the old type guns which are LVHP and blow alot of air and not as much paint and the paint goes more on the project and less into the air.
. As far as a compressor goes. The important thing is a big tank. Mine is about 5 ft high. (they also make horizontal ones) With a big tank, your compressor runs less and the air is cooled in the tank. It also allows water in the air to settle in the tank before it goes to your air/oil/water trap, and your hoses. (you will aways have some water in your air from humidity that condenses under pressure)
I have seen people that add addiional tanks after the compressor made out of old 100 lb propane tanks too. Just increases volume, but there is no way to drain the water out of them short of takeing them apart and inverting them.. The black Max compressors that were good ones but I heard that shey were bought out by Coleman products. I hope this helps.
Gary

Steve Pierce
12-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Takes a while to get that propane smell out of the shop once you start using an old tank for more air reserve. :eek:

captbill1956
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Back in more adventure prone days, I have been involved in "opening" propane tanks by various means (.30 cal, etc)
One thing I noticed was that they all have a dark slime in them from the "stink" that the propane companies put in them for leak detection. Anyway, this stuff is oily and could lead to problems if used in painting. Not saying it will, but
just be aware that the inside of these tanks, especially well used ones, are far from clean and dry.
JM2C
Bill Meredith
N7749D
Kingsland, TX

Tadpole
01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
About ready to spray some stuff, I can still borrow this guys spray gun but I am interested in getting my own HVLP (non-turbine setup). Question is the tip / nozzles on them. I can't find anything that tells me what tip I should be using. The only thing I found was that I'd need a second / different tip for spraying Aerothane.

Gilbert Pierce
01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
The PolyFiber recommended to me 15 years ago to use a 1.2 needle and 0.7 Aircap for Aerothane with my Croix turbine gun. I used this combination for both Aerothane and AirTec with excellent results.

Steve Pierce
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Should be the same for a pressure gun as well. I have always used the turbine but recently bought a new pressure primer gun. I will look and see what tip I have in it.

Chip_Mull
02-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Tadpole - I have used both high pressure and HVLP in my opinion you can't go past a HVLP system. Low pressure means a lot less overspray and therefore wasted paint - and the paint is bloody expensive. Also it seems to be much easier for a novice painter (me) to get a good finish. There are two types of HVLP guns - turbine (self contained) and conversion type which uses a normal high pressure compressor with a low pressure filter/regulator. You can get cheap so called "HVLP" guns out of China but they are crap (how do I know that?) and if you go with a conversion gun, spend the money and get a DeVilbus or similar. I picked up an Apollo turbine gun at Airventure and made up my own turbine (basically just a small box with a couple of automotive filters). You can buy a 3 rotor turbine (basically a vac. cleaner motor) from Amatek, which will run both the gun and a fresh air line to a mask. They do heat up the air - which is the reason the Stewarts don't like them for their process. However as PoP suggested, I also overcame that problem by using an extra long delivery hose. I experimented with a copper cooling coil but found it was not necessary. I did a boat and trailer to get used to it and apart from the 3 stage turbine delivering too much air (fixed by slowing it down with a "dimmer switch") it works a treat. Also much cheaper to run as my shop compressor has a 3HP motor which uses electricity like there is no tomorrow!

Great advice from Curly. I would have to add though, you need to pay particular attention to the water separator and filters. I like to use a large filter/water separator at the compressor and a pony hose with a small disposable water separator at the gun.

We have a gun available from Central Pneumatics that is a knockoff of a $600 automotive conversion gun. We have sold that gun for 10 years with absolutely no complaints except for mine. It's a gravity feed and you can't turn the gun upside down and paint the bottom of a wing. Other than that, the conversion gun also reduces overspray and puts more paint on the target.

If you are spraying a two part polyurethane, an HVLP ( a true turbine HVLP) could save you almost enough to pay for the new spray gun. The reduction in overspray is huge and the fresh air breathing system is worth it alone. I have had several customers order an extra hood and hose for their buddy to help while they are spraying.