PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual Restoration Seminar in Graham, Texas Feb. 18-20th & 25th-27th.

Steve Pierce
01-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I can't believe it has been 6 years since we had the first seminar here. Have met a lot of people and made some great friends along with learning a lot. I have to admit I am kinda late posting this. Been a whirlwind of activity here in the shop and time has snuck up on me. Had lots of phone calls and emails from the usual characters and several from some new folks as well. Looks like it will be a fun, educational and productive event. Jason Gerard from Stewart System is coming down for at least a week and our goal is to cover a couple of Pacer wings in the Stewart's System. I also have a couple of Dakota Cub J3 wing kits coming to assemble. John from Boston is bringing a compound sheet metal project to play with using the English wheel, shot bag and other tools of destruction that I have.

Rumor had it that SJ would be driving a spam can C180 down but it appears to Laura's glee that they will once again be Cubbing it down in their Super Cub 4CC. Gravel bars are at their best as Tal can attest. He is wintering here from Alaska in his newly acquired Super Cub and has got them pretty well mapped out so if the weather cooperates there should be some good flying to be had as well.

If you have never been to our annual restoration seminar I can only describe it as a three ring circus. You just decide if you want to work on fabric, build wings or participate in any of the many other building activities going on. There are also the folks that just like to hang out and observe or fly out and play on the river bars. Some great local eating establishments and you will definitely get your fill of Texas BBQ. We have a lot of fun and hopefully learn some stuff as well.

I am open to other projects or requested topics as well. Last year we did a walk around inspection of a Super Cub showing the things I look for during an annual inspection and we tore down a tailwheel for reassembly and setup. Bill and Diana Duncan will be here with the Bushwheel mobile so if you need anything from them you can pick it up and save the shipping as well. Hope to have a lot of fun, catch up with folks and meet some new people as well. Cathy will have more details shortly.

Cathy Pierce
01-16-2011, 03:43 PM
The following is the link to the Survey for the upcoming seminar.

Click here to take survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SMWPWYY)

pistoncan
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
It sure sounds like it will be a rewarding and fun experience. Id love to attend, Maybe next year.
Gary

Tadpole
01-16-2011, 10:55 PM
wish I could make it, pretty short notice at this point with my retirement going on. Plus the Stinson project, and I need to get down to OK in Feb or Mar to get my oral & practical done.

Curly
01-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Cathy - I am sorry I can't make it - SWMBO must be obeyed!

Do me a favour tho' - make sure he doesn't post any more pictures of boxes of crab - makes me dribble all over the place. :tongue:

Grantmac
01-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Thats a 2 day trip I will have to make some year, perhaps next. I'm not restoring anything, but fabric and sheetmetal skills are something I need desperately.

-Grant

crazyivan
01-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a tight window of opportunity the first weekend so I'll be there with 14Z pending a snowstorm. OBTW Steve - nice pix, especially the third one.

Steve Pierce
01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
I figured you would like that one.

Rudder Bug
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't want to miss that! The wife Louise is already looking up the flights from Montreal.

Tanks for the hint Steve.

Giles

Steve Pierce
01-17-2011, 09:45 AM
We have a retired gentleman who can pick you up in Dallas/Ft. Worth at DFW or Love Field. Closer to the event folks have coordinated with each other to share rides from the Dallas Ft. Worth area to Graham which is about 100 miles. Also have some folks from the DFW area that attend and bring folks over. We have a nice new Holiday Inn Express a half a block down the road from the hanger. They also have a special rate for our event but I have to find out what the rates are again. Just tell them you are associated with Pierce Aero. Will get the other motels information up as well. http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/graham/rhptx/hoteldetail

Rudder Bug
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Steve, that will make our day, no doubt!.

I was looking up Greyhound or a train from Dallas but could not find Graham as a destination. Just sent an email to their official City Web Site. We might be there for the second seminar on the 25th.

You must be reading my thoughts aren't ya?

Giles

Tadpole
01-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Well now you got me thinking harder about this, and bringing my jacked up lower cowling down and learning some metal work. I also have wheel pants that needs some dings massaged out too.

The only thing that has me hesitant to commit is I really need to get my oral and practical done by the end of February if at all possible.

Stephen
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Cathy - I am sorry I can't make it - SWMBO must be obeyed!

Do me a favour tho' - make sure he doesn't post any more pictures of boxes of crab - makes me dribble all over the place. :tongue:

Crabs in Texas!!! Where would they get them??

Curly
01-26-2011, 04:33 AM
One of the blokes who attended the last one brought them down from Alaska. Apparently they went really well with the prawns (shrimp?) Steve got from the Gulf. :tongue:

Do I like crabs and prawns? Hey! do one legged ducks swim in circles?

rmalone
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Sounds like I need to show up for this one.

Steve Pierce
01-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Talked to Dale yesterday. He is the guy from Anchorage who shipped the Alaskan King Crab legs down last year. Looks like we will do this again. It was a real hit and delicious to boot. Looks like we will be covering a set of slotted Pacer wings and some misc. tail feathers etc. and assembling a new set of J3 wings starting the first weekend. Have an A65 engine that we will disassemble mid week that has 200 hours on it since 1946. Also planning a trip to Breckenridge to visit the warbirds at Ezell Aviation. Also planning on a walk around inspection of a Short Wing to point out things I commonly find wrong and look for. Probably go through a tailwheel as well. We are hoping to keep our present weather, been in the high 50-60 lately. :)

Tadpole
02-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Hoping I can tell you which or both weekends in a few days. Still sorting some things out here at home and trying to time my O&P to happen either before or after coming for the seminar(s).

Steve Pierce
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Hope you can make it Jason. Things are shaping up and coming together. Looks like a lot of folks will be here the first weekend and a lot through the week. Jason Gerard with Stewart System will be busy with not only the Pacer wings but several folks are bringing bits and pieces to cover. Got the Dakota Cub J3 wings to assemble and some other projects coming including an engine tear down and sheet metal forming project. Still open to any suggestions on other projects. We went to Breckenridge yesterday and Nelson http://www.ezellaviation.com and crew have a Corsair that was just retrieved from a swamp on the east coast that had crashed there in 1946 along with a P51 Mustang, Sea Fury, Bearcat and Tigercat so we will definitely take a trip over there Monday or Tuesday. I got his scales and we are planning on weighing a Super Cub and doing all the weight and balance computations. There is also a pot for whoever wants to guess on the weight and is the closest. We are expecting more snow this week so we are getting all the cold weather out of the way and the extended forecast is for 60 degrees so Cathy won't be too cold but you northerners can thaw out a bit. Looking forward to it and if you are planning on attending please fill out Cathy's survey.Also if you want to pick up anything from Alaska Bushwheels give them a call because they will be here with all their wears.

Tadpole
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm trying to get the O&P in next week then just come down there for all 10 days. If it looks like the O&P will happen, then I only need to find a place to crash near ya.

I intend to bring my lower cowling to learn how to repair it. Figure I'll also bring the wheel pants and a few other pieces that I need to fix up too since I really have no idea how to repair metal.

Tadpole
02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
May not be coming now...darnit! I put in a resume and application for a job in the corporate world yesterday. This morning they called me and scheduled a phone interview which happened 5hrs ago. Now they called me back 10 minutes ago to say they want an in-person interview this coming Wednesday. We'll see what happens.

MN_flyer1
02-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Man that stinks. Something about that money need that keeps getting in the way of fun.

Throttle Pusher
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Ya... Cant we all just win the lotto!
Steve I would love to make the seminar, but you know
Work work work work work!

Tadpole
02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Looks like I'll still make it regardless, I can just slide the O&P to after the seminars.

Steve Pierce
02-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Cool deal. We are gearing up. Mark Erikson from Dakota Cub will be here Thursday with a trailer full of cool stuff. 8) Can't wait. Looks like there will be a great group of folks.

Tadpole
02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Should get in Thursday night. I might leave Sunday night to head up for the O&P during the week and come back down for the 2nd weekend, though I'm leaning towards just staying in Graham until both weekends are done, then doing the O&P after that.

Clayton Harper
02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Steve,
Buying the freshest gulf shrimp tomorrow for a boil on Fri. at noon. How many mouths?

Tadpole
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Steve,
Buying the freshest gulf shrimp tomorrow for a boil on Fri. at noon. How many mouths?

Oh boy, that sounds good! Can't wait to finally meet you Clayton!

Clayton Harper
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Looking forward to meeting you too, Tadpole.

Tadpole
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
The thing I'm not looking forward to is the drive from Colorado Springs down! Hoping my hip doesn't get too upset with me sitting in the car that long!

Steve Pierce
02-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Clay, I bet we have between 20-30 best guess.

Curly
02-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Your doin' it again - prawns (shrimp?) on the barby!
Hang on a second while I get a bib on - don't want to dribble on my clean T shirt! :tongue:

Clayton Harper
02-16-2011, 08:04 AM
It's OK, Curly, we're boiling the shrimp not BBQing them. I think you'd like boiled shrimp though and wish you could make it. We'll send "food pictures"

smcnutt
02-16-2011, 09:44 AM
It's OK, Curly, we're boiling the shrimp not BBQing them. I think you'd like boiled shrimp though and wish you could make it. We'll send "food pictures"
That's just down right mean. :tongue:

Wish I could be there.

Clayton Harper
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
That's just down right mean. :tongue:

Wish I could be there.

I thought back over how I felt when I saw that picture of the pot of "King Crab Legs" from last years seminar, and I see what you mean. Sorry Curly.

Tadpole
02-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Interview is done, hotel is booked, time to pack Stinson parts in the SUV and get ready for the 12hr drive. I have a bad feeling after this trip that I'm going to end up trying to find a Pacer project as well....

smcnutt
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Interview is done, hotel is booked, time to pack Stinson parts in the SUV and get ready for the 12hr drive. I have a bad feeling after this trip that I'm going to end up trying to find a Pacer project as well....
Well, how did it go?

Steve Pierce
02-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Is this tempting Jason?

Steve Pierce
02-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Or this?

Tadpole
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Is this tempting Jason?

Or this?

Two of my favorite planes. I love my Stinson, but I love Pacers as well. I think that I can make a Pacer a much better Bush machine than a Stinson though.

Tadpole
02-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Well, how did it go?

It went great actually, better than expected....and I didn't even get the job! Sounds confusing huh?

Tadpole
02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
You all have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this. I can't remember the last time I had a vacation. After nearly 2 decades in the military, vacations happened when I could get a few days off in a row to try to make something out of it. It feels so good to just be able to up and come to this. I've been needing the break and time to let my brain relax so I can try to get a better vector on what I'm going to do for money now.

smcnutt
02-16-2011, 03:16 PM
It went great actually, better than expected....and I didn't even get the job! Sounds confusing huh?
Wouldn't want one of the pesky jobs to get in the way of finishing your plane.

Tadpole
02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Wouldn't want one of the pesky jobs to get in the way of finishing your plane.

That was part of it. I applied for two positions with this company. I got interviewed for a senior designer position but didn't get it due to lack of experience with a specific software suite. They said I'm more suited for a higher position in management though, and mentioned a different job opening. I smiled and said I had applied for that too but hadn't heard anything yet. They called the hiring manager for that position and recommended me for it saying all good things. So we'll see if I hear anything on it. The other position is more my style if I go into the corporate world, and better pay.

I'd love to just restore and fly airplanes, but haven't decided if I want to make a go of it yet. I had one job offer, but it was a bit low on the pay side for having to move to a higher cost of living area.

Throttle Pusher
02-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I think your in a good position, just be patient and make sure you get the job you really want.
Once you start working finding the job you really want becomes back seat to what your doing,not haveing as much time and all.

Tadpole
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
I think your in a good position, just be patient and make sure you get the job you really want.
Once you start working finding the job you really want becomes back seat to what your doing,not haveing as much time and all.

That's a very good point and you read my mind. I had been thinking of just getting a job, and then continuing the search for something better later on. I think it might be smarter to slow down right now and try to find a better fit from the beginning. Too bad I'm not rich, I'd buy a hangar and open my own shop and wrench and fly stuff.

Throttle Pusher
02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
That is really the dream, of course alittle flying as well in the mix.
But I guess that goes with out saying.

Tadpole
02-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Just got to the Holiday Inn. Time to see if I can find a cold beer!

Throttle Pusher
02-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Mmmmmmm Beeeer:cool:

aka Homer Simpson

Steve Pierce
02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Dry county. You shoulda driven a block down the road to the hanger. there were a few adult beverages consumed along with some Memphis BBQ.

Tadpole
02-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Dry county. You shoulda driven a block down the road to the hanger. there were a few adult beverages consumed along with some Memphis BBQ.

Wasn't sure if you guys were still around in there. No beer for me tonight!

Steve Pierce
02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Sorry I just got home. Had to drool over these.

Tadpole
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Oooo, with slots even! I ran to Walmart and grabbed groceries to eat. Clayton's smelled good but looked closed.

Curly
02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Whatta you mean - dry county! Does that mean you can't even get a beer? That's almost a sin - crab, prawns, and BBQ NEED a cold beer!

Our greatest country and western singer Slim Dusty, had a hit song in the 80's called "The Pub with No Beer" - one of the lines is "There is nothing so lonesome, morbid or drear than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer!" :wink:

Steve Pierce
02-18-2011, 07:28 AM
There was plenty if wanted Curly. The old guard comes prepared and Bryson (not dry) is 12 miles away.

smcnutt
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
It sure is quiet on the board when you guys are all out there having all that fun. ;-)

Rudder Bug
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Something is telling me I am missing something right now!

Curly
02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
You and me both! :frown:

Rudder Bug
02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Curly,

We'll go some other time when able and I am looking forward to meet you some day. How far from Graham are you? For us it's a 1,300ish miles journey but we love that kind of trip, and a good chuckle as well.

Curly
02-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Rudderbug - I have never really worked out how far to Graham from here! I know it's a 16 hour flight from Australia to LA - and the USA is a big country!:confused:

But SWMBO has indicated she would be OK with an extended trip (6 - 9 months would be nice) when she retires in 3 years so I can finish crossing off my bucket list: Oshkosh, Sun and Fun, Johnson Creek, Valdez, the Rockies, Alaska and western Canada (yeah even with the cold white wet stuff, it's still magnificent) and that's just for starters.:cool:

PeterL
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Sorry I just got home. Had to drool over these.

Steve, those wings would great on my Pacer!!!!!

Peter Lubig

Missed flying the Super at SNF last year.

Throttle Pusher
02-19-2011, 01:15 AM
So are those for our airplanes or a supercub?

gliderman
02-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Hope everyone has a good time.I'm envious....

maybe next year- will have to fly- 1900 miles.... sigh

shane

Steve Pierce
02-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Way fun today. The slotted Pacer wings are being covered :cool: , a set of J3 wings going together and lots of fun. Took my Dad out on the gravel bars in the Pacer and I think he was having a lot of fun by all the pictures he took. 5 airplanes buzzing around hitting the bars with us. It was a hoot. Got to meet Tadpole finally and gotta take him out there next. Clay did a shrimp boil that filled everyone up and BBQ for dinner last night. Way too much fun. I am way sleep deprived trying to keep up but I think I can survive. :smile: More updates and photos later.

Steve Pierce
02-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I forgot the pictures, y'all might think I was tellin' a Texas tale without pictures. ;)
2206220722082209http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/images/misc/pencil.png

Rudder Bug
02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Rudderbug - I have never really worked out how far to Graham from here! I know it's a 16 hour flight from Australia to LA - and the USA is a big country!:confused:

But SWMBO has indicated she would be OK with an extended trip (6 - 9 months would be nice) when she retires in 3 years so I can finish crossing off my bucket list: Oshkosh, Sun and Fun, Johnson Creek, Valdez, the Rockies, Alaska and western Canada (yeah even with the cold white wet stuff, it's still magnificent) and that's just for starters.:cool:

Good grief Curly, I never realized you were in OZ Land! I am grieving, reading the thread while freezing my balls in a near-blizzard.

Tadpole
02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Too much fun. So many things going on that I'm bouncing between projects trying to absorb as much info as I can. Just did a bunch of rib stitching and been learning lots of tips that will help me finish my Stinson's fabric.

pistoncan
02-19-2011, 01:06 PM
My wife may start calling me shamrock, Im so green. Oh well, maybe some day, If I live long enough

Gary

Throttle Pusher
02-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Oh man! Tadpole said the S word again.
we really need to get him a pacer project.
that way he can at least say he's got one in the garage.:smile:

Tadpole
02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Building up a super cub fuselage in the jig out of three other ones. Pretty cool. I would love a Pacer project. Maybe once I get the S word plane flying I can do that. Oh and maybe after I find employment haha.

Tadpole
02-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Been impossible to keep up with all the projects going on. Today I finally pulled out my lower cowling and started stripping the paint off. Discovered a bunch of bondo under there and it's not coming off as easy. Tomorrow should get the rest of it cleaned up and ready to start repairing.

Steve Pierce
02-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Wow. Wings being built in the hanger by Mr. Dakota Cub himself and a flurry of helpers. Jason and crew finished covering one slotted Pacer wing and demonstrated painting the Stewarts paint. Jess and his Dad brought in pieces of about 4 fuselages and are putting them together as one in the jig while George and crew are building a new boot cowl. Lots of little side projects going on like patching an elevator and some sheet metal repairs as well. Will post some pictures when I get to the hanger with a better connection. Bushwheel Gang expected in today. Still sleep deprived but loving every minute of it.

Steve Pierce
02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Wings going together.
One wing covered.
Lots of airplanes on Sat.
Fuselage going together.

Steve Pierce
02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Lots going on but this is way cool.

MN_flyer1
02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Those are looking nice. Do you need me to fly my plane down to swap out and try them? I suspect the response will be $$$$$ and get in line. :-)

Steve Pierce
02-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Ha. Still having a lot of fun.

108pc
02-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice pics Steve! Looks like a lot of fun down in Texas!! I love the picture of the wing with the EkoPrime on it!! Have you been able to top coat it yet? How long did it take you to get it to that point from when you started the covering process? And how many people were working on it? I should be starting the covering process on my Clipper wing this coming week or next and am excited to get started and curious to know how long it will take me! I saw that Jason from Stewarts was there helping out. I spent an invaluable day and a half at Hangar 21 with him learning the Stewarts process! It's cool stuff. I'd love to see pics of the top coat when it's done!!! Thanks, Wayne

rmalone
02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Looks like a good time.

Steve Pierce
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Been a busy week getting the hanger back to normal, finding which drawer certain tools got placed in etc. but what a blast we all had. Finally got to meet Jeff (11767) and Jason (Tadpole) and enjoyed talking and playing with airplanes with them. Both Pacer wings got covered, stitched and taped in Stewarts and I painted one wing Sunday afternoon with the final top coat. I don't know how many people or how many hours were spent on the wings but I do believe it goes quicker than other systems and is a lot easier to attach the fabric with the Stewart System glue. I have to perfect the final top coat however since i got more orange peel than I like.

To summarize eleven days of airplane fun with as many as 50 people would be hard to do here but here is an attempt. Learned wing build techniques from the likes of Dakota Cub's Mark Erikson, and covering from Jason Gerard from Stewarts System. I really appreciate their participation. It is nice to learn from the experts and pick up on their tricks and insight. The weather was awesome and the flying was great. Had 7-8 airplanes on one of the bigger gravel bars and got to explore many more with my Dad in the right seat while others were doing the same. I think he has figured out why I enjoy this type of flying and that I am not crazy. ;) This was all fun and educational but the most enjoyable part of it all was getting to visit with everyone. I got to meet several people I had never met from the website and they got introduced to people I have gotten to know over the years and expanding our little family of airplane enthusiasts. It is really fun to watch and take apart in. Hope to see everyone again next year if not before and new folks as well. Thanks everyone who participated,I feel very blessed.

Stephen
03-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Been a busy week getting the hanger back to normal, finding which drawer certain tools got placed in etc. but what a blast we all had. Finally got to meet Jeff (11767) and Jason (Tadpole) and enjoyed talking and playing with airplanes with them. Both Pacer wings got covered, stitched and taped in Stewarts and I painted one wing Sunday afternoon with the final top coat. I don't know how many people or how many hours were spent on the wings but I do believe it goes quicker than other systems and is a lot easier to attach the fabric with the Stewart System glue. I have to perfect the final top coat however since i got more orange peel than I like.

I've faced the same challenge with the Top Coat, I even bought new spray equipment. In my current project, I'm using the Stewart system to patch (major patches) an Aerothane finish, the Eko-bond really sticks..better than Poly-tac. After the Eko-fill I'll spray the Aerothane instead of the Stewart Top Coat. The plane goes to Alaska, so I'll know soon how well the finish takes. The Stewarts say it'll be fine.

Sorry I missed the fun...maybe next year.

Steve Pierce
03-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I put together a photo album of some the 10 days of fun we had.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Pierceaero/2011Seminar?authkey=Gv1sRgCOS3nem__4PqygE#

Throttle Pusher
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Enjoyed the pictures, hope I can make it next year.

Steve Pierce
03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I've faced the same challenge with the Top Coat, I even bought new spray equipment. In my current project, I'm using the Stewart system to patch (major patches) an Aerothane finish, the Eko-bond really sticks..better than Poly-tac. After the Eko-fill I'll spray the Aerothane instead of the Stewart Top Coat. The plane goes to Alaska, so I'll know soon how well the finish takes. The Stewarts say it'll be fine.

Sorry I missed the fun...maybe next year.

I found out I had a major pressure issue. My air compressor is big enough but I was getting a major pressure drop. Investigated my air system and found that one bank of my compressor was dead. Where I would start at 29 psi at the gun, after shooting a quart of paint I would be down to 22 psi. After I repaired my air compressor I have 29 psi at the gun at all times so my compressor is keeping up with the gun. Orange peel is usually caused by lack of pressure. I gotta hurry up and finish the tapes on the second wing so I can shoot the paint again.

Steve Pierce
03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Enjoyed the pictures, hope I can make it next year.

I don't think you would regret it. :)

Tadpole
07-22-2011, 12:29 AM
So out of the limited vacation time I now have, 2012 for this is at the top of my list.... I hope it happens!

Steve Pierce
07-22-2011, 07:08 AM
We will get dates when it gets closer, should be mid February again. Looking forward to the temperature change for sure. :)

Clayton Harper
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Hope the temperature isn't a mirror image of the summer.