PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with cracks in polytone

Grantmac
02-10-2011, 03:20 AM
My clipper has a 20 year old polytone finish. Its cracking pretty much everywhere that flexes in flight. The fabric is still in good shape but the cracking paint is taking the silver off as well.
I've heard that using rejuvenator is a fairly temporary solution and the cracks will come back soon.
I've also heard that repainting will end in cracks returning soon as well, repairs on the current finish seem to indicate this is true.

Right now its just ugly, but I'd really like to avoid an airworthiness issue in the future. I could care less about looks.

Thanks,
Grant

Steve Pierce
02-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Polyfiber makes a rejuvenator. You can brush it on a small spot and work it in or spray it. I have had best result when I sanded the finish down, rejuvenated, silver and then top coat.

Grantmac
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
So just work it into the small cracks?

I guess for the larger ones I can just feather the edges, work in some RJ1200 then resilver?

I'm working with pretty rustic equipment, can this be done with a brush?

Thanks,
Grant

Steve Pierce
02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Brush and your finger workes best to soften up the old hard edges and work the rejuv in.

gliderman
02-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi Grant
http://www.polyfiber.com/products/rj1200rejuvenator.htm

hope this link helps.
we just did this to the turtledeck of my tripacer. the great revelation we found is to WET sand. the results and effort required to get a good job vs dry sanding were uncomparable. used 2 pieces wet sanding and a whole lot nore when we were dry sanding. we sprayed a couple of crosscoats of silver and sanded before we put on the colour.
the wings are coming off for the "treatment" next week...
follow Steve's advice on using your finger- works great

Shane

Grantmac
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm really hoping to avoid a respray for now.

But I suppose if it comes right down to it, it wouldn't be that much work to wet-sand the fuselage and spray silver then the color coat.

I think that I will try working the RJ1200 into the cracks and retouching the chips then see where that leaves me.

I'm going to get a gallon of the RJ1200 and the repair kit, seems like a good way to get some of everything.

Thanks,
Grant