PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond Seat Lacing

BrettL
04-25-2011, 11:31 PM
I found my seat on the Vagabond was attached with plastic tie wraps through the lacing grommets (where the seat sling attaches around the front seat tube). I'm replacing the tie wraps with the called for #4 mason line. Any idea what the best lacing pattern is (or how Piper did it at the factory)? The 9 hole to 8 hole pattern seems less than straight forward to lace.

tnowak
04-26-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi Brett,

I used braided nylon cord (approx. 3/16" dia) and start from the central eyelet in the rear row (nearest to the seat back). My cord is positioned half way along its length at this "stating" point (helped me to mark this point on the cord with a black marker). I then lace like a shoe, threading the cord forward to the next adjacent eyelet in the front row, then back to the next adjacent eyelet in the rear row. And so on. Repeat when you get to the end of the rows of eyelets, but lace through the rest of the eyelets in a similar manner. I then knot the ends of the cord a few times and tie the loose ends around the vertical tube below the seat.
For "belt and braces" I used one nylon cable tie around the knotted cord to stop it ever having a tendancy to unknot itself!

I can try and send a picture or a sketch of my lacing if it isn't clear from my words above (quite difficult to describe in words!)
Tony