PDA

View Full Version : Tripacer Nose Wheel and Motor Mount

Avalancheman
06-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Would anyone know if there is a source for a used, serviceable, nose wheel and motor mount for a PA-22-150 Tripacer? I sent mine off to Aerospace Manufacturing for inspection and it turns out it will require $1700.00 worth of repairs and is 3-4 weeks out to make the repairs. (after having it for 4 weeks to tell me this)

Univair has them in stock, but list at $2617.96 for both. I would be grateful for any suggestions. After a year of restoring this I am more than anxious to get this in the air....but am and the end of the rope with my better half for the amount of money invested.

Zac Weidner
06-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I found an engine mount off of my grandpa's '54 PA-22 135 the other day in one of our machine sheds. It has one bent tube and I guess he replaced it instead of repairing. It would have to be sent off so it's probably not what you're looking for, but it may be of use to someone in need of one.

captbill1956
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
It doesn't seem out of line to me on that price. A used mount and gear may have the same problems yours did or worse. At least for the 1700, your getting a known (or it should be, if they do their stuff correctly) quality and standard. My mount and nose gear looked good until I removed it and then could see all the bent and twisted stuff not readily apparent while installed.
Good luck with your project.
Bill Meredith
N7749D

Steve Pierce
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I stole one from our Tri-Pacer project and then traded for another one when we found this.
http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1272&d=1281314157

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1273&d=1281314159

jay heil
06-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I have a good used nosewheel mount has the strut in it if you want that lets see its got everything but the wheel might even have a fender Id love to sell it-Jay I will check it tomorrow to make sure its good and straight

Avalancheman
06-23-2011, 12:35 AM
It doesn't seem out of line to me on that price. A used mount and gear may have the same problems yours did or worse. At least for the 1700, your getting a known (or it should be, if they do their stuff correctly) quality and standard. My mount and nose gear looked good until I removed it and then could see all the bent and twisted stuff not readily apparent while installed.
Good luck with your project.
Bill Meredith
N7749D

Bill, I agree the quote for the repairs is in line with the amount of work that needs to be done. After thinking this through a bit and seeing the pics that Steve has posted I am guessing that the odds of finding a good mount ready to bolt back on after cosmetic cleanup and painting is slim. The decision I am wrestling with is to pay for the repairs and wait another month or so for them to get it done or pay close to another grand more and have an in stock one sent in a few days. This far into this process, making decisions are getting a little blurry....

JohnW
06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow. EXCELLENT pics! And people are always wondering why they have "no clearance" between their nose pant and prop! Bingo. Hold yer cards...We have a Winner.

Avalancheman
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Jay, did you get a chance to see if your nose wheel mount was straight? If so, can you take a picture and send it to me? Is it just the nose wheel mount, or does it include the motor mount with it?

Thanks!

Zac, thanks for the offer. I am hoping for one that is in better shape than mine....if that is possible.

Also, for those interested.....Kevin at Aerospace Manufacturing told me while on the phone that he rarely see's these mounts come in that DON'T have the two lower bolt tubes cracked, which requires them to be cut out and replaced. I didn't catch if he meant the firewall bolt tubes or the lower engine mount tubes..... I guess I will know soon enough when I call back to inquire. I thought this was fairly interesting and something for everyone to look at if they are in the process of doing any kind of motor mount bushing replacement or more.

jay heil
06-24-2011, 01:23 AM
well i just got home from work at 1 am went out took a quick look and i will check real thorough in the morning but I think its in perfect condition , it has everything still on it including the shimmy damper and nose trut the scissor at the bottom i think the fork is somewhere and theres a fender frame too to if you need all that but no motor mount i might have a friend with a motor mount but im not positive if he has one i will have to call him got a fusalage and main gear too if ya want that hahaha

jay heil
06-24-2011, 01:24 AM
forgot to add the wife went to a family reunion and took the camera so picture has to wait until late sunday

Nathan Hiebert
06-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Here is the NLG mount that I removed from my PA-22 during the tailwheel conversion.
It looks like all the tubes are straight.
It looks like the only issue I see is the nose wheel steering arm is worn.
If anyone is interested in the NLG mount assembly, I can bead blast the entire assy. and epoxy prime it. I can also get better pictures (took these quick with the phone camara). PM if your interested.

Steve Pierce
06-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Nate, That is just the tow lug holes that are worn.

Nathan Hiebert
06-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Steve your right, my bad. The actual steering arm looks solid.

jay heil
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I took some pix for you of my gear mount etc but I dunno putting them on here is another story ill keep trying but give me a call if you are still interested 320-328-5275

jay heil
06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
how come when yoou go to attach a picture it says please enter the url of your image? url is a web page my pics aint got no url

jay heil
06-26-2011, 07:38 PM
here is the pix

Nathan Hiebert
06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Here are some more (better) pictures of my NLG assembly.

pistoncan
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
If one of those doesn't work out for you, I have one up in the barn, I can check and see if its straight. Its just the nose wheel mount, No strut, no motor mount.

Gary

Mogas
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
What's it worth?

I am restoring a PA22-150 and also need a nose gear assembly. Strut, torque link, and mounting frame.
I have found what I need but the seller and I have no idea what a fair price is.
Can anyone give us a guide price?
Thanks
Rick

Steve Pierce
12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I paid $150 for a nose gear mount less oleo or any other parts. They are usually a bargain when someone is converting to a Pacer.

ericvaughn
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Guys. Something to keep in mind, the tubing used in the early mounts was not 4130 tubing. I don't remember what the tubing classification was, but it was more flexible than 4130, hence cracks and bends. When the new mounts are repaired, the new tubes are 4130, which is a much stronger mount. Most overhauled (yellow tag) mounts only re use the attach points, with all new 4130 tubing installed. I have found aero fabricators to have the best prices on overhauled mounts. Just my .02

Steve Pierce
12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Guys. Something to keep in mind, the tubing used in the early mounts was not 4130 tubing. I don't remember what the tubing classification was, but it was more flexible than 4130, hence cracks and bends. When the new mounts are repaired, the new tubes are 4130, which is a much stronger mount. Most overhauled (yellow tag) mounts only re use the attach points, with all new 4130 tubing installed. I have found aero fabricators to have the best prices on overhauled mounts. Just my .02

Engine or nose gear?

ericvaughn
12-02-2011, 08:07 AM
My experience is with the engine mount. Don't know about the nose wheel mount, but logically it would make sense that they used the same material.....maybe. :???:

Mogas
12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I paid $150 for a nose gear mount less oleo or any other parts. They are usually a bargain when someone is converting to a Pacer.
Thanks Steve.
Thats just the thing I needed to know.

gliderman
12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
A fella around here has one in his basement -left over over from his conversion.I'll check for you and get back to you