PDA

View Full Version : Dremel selection

tnowak
09-08-2011, 02:28 AM
I need to replace an anchor nut on my Vagabond which is in a slightly awkward location. It is one of the parcels shelf fixing anchor nuts and is about as far away from easy access as possible! I need to drill out two 3/32" rivets.
I was thinking that a Dremel with flexible drive may make a difficult job easire, but which Dremel? Seems there are a number of different models available and am looking for recommendations.
Tony N

JohnW
09-08-2011, 09:24 AM
They all spin the bit. If you need the flex drive, just make sure that the model you are getting accepts one. I bought a 1960's Dremel tool when they first came out, and probably put 25 sets of brushes in it. A couple years ago, it finally Went West. It was flat WORE OUT. I bought a new Dremel Model 4000 a couple months ago, with the intention of knowing it will eventually go at the Garage Sale when I'm gone. It's great. But that first El Cheapo design pretty much did the same tasks the newest model will, just with slightly better "creature comfort". I REALLY like the single On/Off switch, and the variable (5000 to HOLYCRAP! rpms). The last one I owned had "on, and off".

I think if I understand the anchor nut you are talking about, my believe my first Dremel shaved the heads off the ones holding the broken "base" on my Vagabond, and if you looked reaallll close, you'd find a Rivnut there, all these years later. I never had a flex drive, though. I used a friend's once for about ten minutes and it wound itself into about 26 pretzels while I was using it, so I never "upgraded" to one.

P.o.P.
09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
If it's in a tight spot a cordless may help.

tnowak
09-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Thanks JohnW.

Yes, the stiff insert bit of the anchor nut appears to have gone AWOL many years ago. Or may be the thread is completely stripped out. A rivnut may do the trick (hadn't though about that).
Tony N