PDA

View Full Version : SUN 'n FUN 2012

Gilbert Pierce
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
The Sun n' Fun NOTAM 2012 is posted here. http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/2012-02-09/2012 SUN N FUN NOTAM 011211 FINAL color3.pdf
Quote from the FAA :
"To insure clear and concise communications with ATC, pilots are requested to CARRY A COPY OF THE SUN 'N FUN NOTAM aboard their aircraft. ..."

Please do not fly in to Sun 'n Fun if you don't fully understand the proceedures.

Pocket size NOTAM's will be mailed by SnF. Sign up here to receive one. http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/GettingHere/flying/FAA-Pocket-Notam.aspx This will give you the basics but you still will need the full NOTAM for the details.

PeterL
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Here's a picture of Lakeland, 30 days before Sun N Fun. I flew over in a twin-engine Shortwing, Navajo.

Peter

Steve Pierce
02-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Looks funny without airplanes everywhere. Got my pocket NOTAMs in the mail yesterday.

JrBirdman
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
I got a new tie down kit for Christmas. After last year I decided to "upgrade". But that couldn't happen again...could it.

Steve Pierce
03-01-2012, 08:09 AM
That's what I keep thinking. 8)

PeterL
03-01-2012, 08:17 AM
I ended up using 2 sets of different tie downs.

After being there, I don't trust just one set. Kind of like having a spare tire.

Peter

pa20
03-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Here's a picture of Lakeland, 30 days before Sun N Fun. I flew over in a twin-engine Shortwing, Navajo.

Peter
Spent a lotta hours in SWN's. They really pack a load with good legs. What brought you so far south, Peter?

PeterL
03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Went down to Miami with airlines to meet up with some friends to help fly a Navajo (PA-31-350) back to Barrie, Ontario. They didn't have an IFR rating. So I arrived in MIA late at night to find myself next morning (sunday), in nice 25c weather before we departed. As you see I included two photos, one of our routing home. This was the first real trip for me using the iPad, worked great. Had all the nav charts both VFR and IFR along with the approach charts. Very handy not to carry 80 lbs of Jepps around!!!!!!! Now, only if the company I fly for will catch on. I used my spot for tracking, nice touch for the folks at home following you.
The other picture is of Buffalo Airways DC-3 FWIR, ( this 3 was owned by Alberta Northern Airlines in Calgary during the early 80's, and I had a chance to fly it, however the choice was F/O on the 3 or a King Air E90, damn!! Wishing now to have gone on the big 3). OK, so why the picture of the DC-3, well it was in Yellowknife, NWT? Working for Jazz, I had an overnight there. This morning (sunday), it was - 25c outside. Soooo, plus 25 c one day to minus 25c a week later.

Yellowknife is where we are flying to this summer with the Century Flight Club:

http://www.crosscanadaflight.com/

Anyone wishing to join us please sign up, it's going to be a great time. Lots of flying and meet new friends. 116 planes is what we are planning for.

Peter

Steve Pierce
03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
I am scheduled to do a forum on Maintaining and Restoring Short Wing Pipers on Tuesday at noon in room 8 of the Forum building. Hope to meet lots of you there. I had another forum scheduled for noon on Friday but will be unable to attend becaue my ride is planning on leaving on Friday morning. Getting fired up about another Sun and Fun. Can't wait. :)

Steve Pierce
03-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Got back last night from another great trip to Sun & Fun. Got to hang out with lots of old friends and met several new ones as well. Was a fun trip with no worries. Went down with a friend and his wife. He flies a CAP232 in the airshow and his wife flies a Bonanza. They were complaining about the head wind and slow 150 kt. ground speed. ;) I was loving it after it taking two days in my Short Wing airplanes to get there for many years. Saw some really nice Pacers and Tri-Pacers but when I got home I realized I only took pictures of small details and not the whole airplane. I did get some shots of our trip and of an Aeronca Bathtub. It was a fun week but now it is time to catch up and get back to work.

Throttle Pusher
03-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Looks lime it was a great trip and show.once again I have to say wish I could have been there, Hopefully next year.

Ken