PDA

View Full Version : Short Wing Attendance; National Bushwheel Awareness Week; Johnson Creek ID

SuperPacer
06-19-2012, 12:15 PM
We represented the Short Wing Community at Johnson Creek, ID this past weekend and had a really great time!! In all, there were 5 Pacers and one Tri-Pacer!! Our Utah group included my Pacer, two RV-6's and a Citabra. Three additional Pacers from Washinton and a Tri-Pacer from Idaho. In total, 102 + aircraft, probably 150 people in attendance. The SuperCub guys really put on a great gathering, with catered meals both Friday and Saturday nights. I did NOT with the 31" Bushwheels, so I gues another year with the Garr Aeros will be in order!! There was a great mix of aircraft, the "most Unique" award went to the modified Pawnee 235 with 35" Bushwheels!! A Helio Courier (sp?), a Beaver, two Bushmasters the usual mix of Supercubs and Maules & Huskeys were in attendance as well. Probably the most impressive were the large number of Carbon Cubs that came to play in the Idaho outback. The demo on Saturday was cool, short takeoff and slowflight etc. At about 900 lbs and as much as 250 hp (at least one was really "Pumped Up"), they are impressive! I really got to get my MT prop for the Pacer, Ha Ha. There was one "flip Over" at Lower Loon (Carbon Cub, I think) and one Huskey that almost took out the White House at the South End of the Johnson Creek strip (attempted tail wind landing in the afternoon), he hit a tree, and just made it around for another attempt at tail wind landing, ugly but made it!. Took out landing light, and bent lift strut, lived to tell about it.

Here are some photos, Don't miss the Short Wing Piper Convention Next Week at Ogden Utah!!

Enjoy the Day,

JOhn

Steve Pierce
06-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Sorry I missed that one John. I heard that guy could really fly that Pawnee too. Pictures of the Husky incident here. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?42928-Husky-Close-Call-at-Johnson-Creek

Stephen
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
While I am not a big fan of Laurie MacNichol, she is correct when she says "do not take off, up hill, up a canyon, unless the wind is blowing down canyon like hell"...... Not really sure if she said hell.

I have seen planes go out of J Creek with 20 plus mph on their tail..just fine...why....bcause if you take off to the north, even if it is down wind can fly down down hill all the way to the ocean..hundreds if miles away.

Sadly, thus guy used up nearly a mile of runway and still stayed commited to flying up the canyon....assuming he was not doing a stunt by taking off mid field..up hill...naaa.

Also, the family running for their lives and own the white house, supposedly donated the JC airfield for public use and have kindly requested people not to fly directly over their house...oppps.

Tadpole
06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
It was a go around....not just a normal take off....

SuperPacer
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Steve, The Pawnee guy, James I beleive, is a really laid back A&P IA and has spent the past couple of years working the Pawnee over to his new "Back Woods Camper"!! He ended up in "Experimental - Exibation" class with very few limitations on flying and showing the aircraft. He showed it a bunch during the fly-in.!

Stephen, The Huskey driver was high & fast, with a tail wind and didn't touch down till way bast mid field and then bounced several cycles before begining the go around. He literially didn't add power till at the white stone markers at the south end of the field. The thing that contributed to his problems, the tailwind, also probably saved him as he approached the trees & white house, there is a small hill that the wind was blowing up, giving him some added lift (windward side of the small hill). The good news was they survived the second attempt, although I think his passenger is taking the buss home. SJ and Dave did make a trip to the White House to do some "damage control" with the family members, and the Supercub.Org made nice contributions to Idaho Avistion Assocation and the Recreation Aviation Foundation, as they always do. Great Weekend,

john

Terry E
06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
John, it was nice to see you again and thanks for that beer. see you out there..
Terry

Stephen
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Steve, The Pawnee guy, James I beleive, is a really laid back A&P IA and has spent the past couple of years working the Pawnee over to his new "Back Woods Camper"!! He ended up in "Experimental - Exibation" class with very few limitations on flying and showing the aircraft. He showed it a bunch during the fly-in.!

Stephen, The Huskey driver was high & fast, with a tail wind and didn't touch down till way bast mid field and then bounced several cycles before begining the go around. He literially didn't add power till at the white stone markers at the south end of the field. The thing that contributed to his problems, the tailwind, also probably saved him as he approached the trees & white house, there is a small hill that the wind was blowing up, giving him some added lift (windward side of the small hill). The good news was they survived the second attempt, although I think his passenger is taking the buss home. SJ and Dave did make a trip to the White House to do some "damage control" with the family members, and the Supercub.Org made nice contributions to Idaho Avistion Assocation and the Recreation Aviation Foundation, as they always do. Great Weekend,

john

Wow, that was a miss! Glad to know he made it in OK? It is different landing in a canyon. The SC group and SJ are great. Thanks for the info.

hondacubber
06-23-2012, 07:24 AM
From the pictures I've seen and the reports from fellow CubCrafter folks there were numerous Carbon Cub paint scheme look-a-likes. And the "There was one "flip Over" at Lower Loon (Carbon Cub, I think)" was not a Carbon Cub but a look-a-like.

Stephen do you have pictures anywhere of you trip?

Eric