PDA

View Full Version : SWPC Utah Convention Update

SuperPacer
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Hello,
We had a great time this week here in Ogden Utah with the SWPC members and the Annual Convention. Some 30 planes and 150+ people attended and except for the winds early in the week everything was fine. We had two flying events this year, a Wednesday "Dawn Patrol" that included a guided tour of the Great Salt Lake north arm, Fremont Island and landing on the mud flats. 14 planes and at least 29 folks participated!! The other flying event was the Poker Run, from Ogden through Tooele and on to Wendover NV for brunch and some games of chance. Attached are some of the planes involved, as well as some of the "Winners" from the aircraft judgeing. Kent O'Kelly won Grand champion with his PA22, Mark Ohlau won best PA20, Kevin N. won best PA22-20 and Kurt Selbert won best Colt, great bunch of guys and great airplanes!!
Enjoy the day,
John Kobbeman
Utah Pacer Driver

Steve Pierce
06-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Recognize most of those names. Got a call from the folks upon their arrival back from landing on the mud flats. I don't think my Mom thinks I am quite as crazy as she wants did as she loved landing on the flats. Said there was some greart scenery and colors. Can't wait to see the pictures.

SuperPacer
06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes Steve, I thing they enjoyed the tour!! Gilbert will need to fit some 29"s under his wheel pants & go for the big tail wheel!!

john

Troy Hamon
06-30-2012, 02:35 AM
Looks like fun. All those lower 48 fly-ins are at such inconvenient times...be fun to make it though...

pa20
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for being such a great tour guide and ambassador for the Utah pilots, John. For any that have not seen John's plane in real time, what a machine! Not only is it a "moose" of a SWP, but all the work was done in first class fashion and it is show worthy!
I was quite honored to have 44K chosen as "Best PA-20". There was another PA-20 there that belongs to a gentleman (in all forms of the word), from Missouri, Fred Mayes. His PA-20 was purchased by his father in 1952, and has been in his family since then. Let's just say that it has been well taken care of, and with the exception of the color scheme, looks as pretty as the day it rolled out of the factory with only about 2200 +/- hours TT.
Steve, please pass along my regards to your folks. I may have met them at previous Conventions, but it was the first time being able to place names to the faces. They are likely suffering from cinnamon roll withdrawal though!
It was a great time, and met lots of great people and new friends.

Gilbert Pierce
06-30-2012, 06:39 PM
I second Mark's appraisal, John was a great tour guide. I took great pleasure in flying #2 with him. After that trip I could get into BIG tires and tailwheel.

As for the cinnamon roll, it was great as we met before daylight and before hotel resturant was open. I think we all came back with a big appetite .

Gilbert Pierce
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Pictures from the Promontory Point morning air tour.

skywaggin
06-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Wow! Looks like a lot of fun.
Great photos.

Steve Pierce
07-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Cool shots. We can put my 29" Bushwheels and Baby Bushwheel tailwheel on next time you come down Dad. 8)

Gilbert Pierce
07-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Cool shots. We can put my 29" Bushwheels and Baby Bushwheel tailwheel on next time you come down Dad. 8)

Big difference landing on 400' sandbars on a bend in the river and landing on the mudflats
The mud flats appeared to be about a mile square and you could land anywhere and any direction with only a few humocks well spread out. It was flat, flat flat flat with a clear approach and departure. Sand bars are fun:icon_biggrin: but not in my airplane with me flying it.

Steve Pierce
07-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Ha, you remember Beaver Bar. 8)

Steve Pierce
07-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like a fun time. Wish I could have gone. I wanna go back out west. Fun flying out there.

Stephen
07-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the pictures!

Kurts
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
It was my first convention and it was great fun. I highly encourage anyone who owns a Short Wing to attend one of these. It was nice to finally put faces with names and to meet Gilbert, John, Jim Fix, Doug Stewart, and all the icons of the SWPC, what a great bunch of people and some very cool airplanes. I unfortunately came away with all kinds of ideas on how to spend money!

After the convention I took a few days and headed north to visit friends in Washington and do some sightseeing. The weather wasn't the greatest but I was able to stop by Cashmere, WA and visit with Dan and Marjie Stewart of Stewart Systems, and see their operation. What nice people.

Here are just a few shots I took during the convention.

Kurt