PDA

View Full Version : Interior fabric

Twofieros
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I've got the Piper drawing CD but I'm finding it less detailed than I would like. I'm doing the interior fabric and finding an issue I want right. Back in 1965 when this plane was last recovered they didn't follow the piper drawings around the front seats. It caused the sliding mechanism of the seat to cut the fabric and a duct tape repair resulted for many decades. I noticed the drawings call for the small triangular area to be installed below the seats. This alone will give me and extra inch of room and should solve my problem but when I installed the front seat to plan out the rest I found the seatbelt mount to be in a less than ideal location for the fabric. Then there is a small tube that runs from that mount to the back of the seat slider that has me puzzled. Do I go inside or outside that tube? Here is a picture to show what I'm talking about. I just don't want to have damaged skin after I do all this work.http://img.tapatalk.com/ad517069-2667-a95a.jpg

Lownslow
06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
I may be mistaken, but I think that you have the direction of wrap around the tube reversed at the bottom longeron. As I recall, the floor panel must go on top, so the fabric has to be wrapped the other way. The fabric should go inside the small tube you refer to and actually extend upward all the way to the door frame.

Lou

Steve Pierce
06-30-2012, 02:12 PM
I believe Lou is correct. At least you are using Stewarts and can pull that part back off. Someone put this vinyl over the original fabric but this was a Piper original fabric interior.

Lownslow
06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Good pics Steve. You're awesome. I was only half right (I think). Your pic indicates how the upper and aft pieces go.
I have a the same work with another project coming up.

Thanks,

Lou

Steve Pierce
06-30-2012, 02:54 PM
I went through my pictures and put together this photo album. Hope it helps everyone get it right the first time. I know how frustrating things like this can be.
https://plus.google.com/photos/114718884762813339135/albums/5759912229864271489?authkey=CO3v-O3U6a3yBw
I uploaded them full size so you can blow them up for the small details.

gliderman
06-30-2012, 03:51 PM
ok daft question....

is there any way that the interior fabric can be replaced with the exterior fabric still in place? the reason i'm asking is that my exterior fabric has been replaced but the interior fabric is still Piper original. I put my finger through the side wall fabric in the baggage area last week and upon closer inspection it is toast....

Shane

Twofieros
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Steve,

Thanks for those pictures! Now those raise another question. It looks like there are two layers next to the seat where the fuel line penetrates the fabric. Should I try to duplicate that? It seems it would help with coins falling from someone's pants and not being stuck in a bottomless pit.

I will redue the fabric where I wrapped it the wrong way.

Steve Pierce
07-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Shane, I think you could patch over the existing interior but really see no way to replace it on a covered airplane. Another option is gluing some sort of decorative fabric over the original.

Tim, I am not sure why Piper did it the way they did. I suspect it helps fit the fabric around the seat track. One thing I have figured out is that they had it down to a science and in most cases if I duplicate what they did originally I have less problems in the long run.

Lownslow
09-15-2013, 08:25 AM
I didn't see it captured here, but I haven't figured out how the hole where the rudder bar comes through the interior fabric on each side is trimmed out. Seems like there should be something to "finish" the inside fabric at the rudder cable attachments. I don't have a 20 or 22 here with fabric interior to verify. Any help?

Thanks, Lou

Steve Pierce
09-15-2013, 08:40 AM
I will post a picture. There is a grommet there.

Steve Pierce
09-15-2013, 11:22 AM
From the outside, looks like the elevator bellcrank grommet with part of it cut out.
With a cover over it.

Lownslow
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Steve. I have the grommets installed. I will fabricate a cover from some vinyl like you have pictured.

Lou

Twofieros
09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
I was just looking at that interior cover and how it has a hole in it from the rudder pedal. Would there be interest in a fiberglass or carbon fiber set of covers that would fit there with slight trimming for your airplane? If there is enough interest I could make a mold and do a short production run making them for others.

Lownslow
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I would think that a domed plate to fit the grommet shape, including a hole at the bottom for the rudder bar and a slot for the cable would suit the purpose well and look nice. It would need to be right and left for opposite sides. I may consider attempting fiberglass, but will consider going in if you want to give it a try.

Thanks,

Lou

Twofieros
09-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Well, not much interest it seems. I was going to skip ahead and make the part but I guess I'll just continue on. If I make one for mine I'll post here and offer more. Once the mold is made it's easy to make a few more. What you described was exactly what I was thinking.

Lownslow
09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Count me in whenever you get to it. Lets see if there is any other interest. Anybody else?

Lou

Jim Hann
09-17-2013, 11:48 PM
I might be interested but no hurry right now. I need to look at how mine is currently done or maybe just put them on the shelf for the day I tear down the fuselage.

Prosaria
09-26-2014, 03:01 PM
I would be interested in some carbon fiber grommets, if you get around to making some.

Glen Geller
09-26-2014, 05:50 PM
A plastic cover to replace the fabric inspection plate over the rudder pedal cable arms?
Sounds good to me! If it was a kit with some inner grommets to glue inside the openings, so the screws could bite into something, then so much the better.
GG

Clayton Harper
09-27-2014, 12:36 AM
I too am interested. Did you build the Carbon Fiber Nose Bowl?