PDA

View Full Version : PA 22/20 Rear Seat Removal

planeman2010
07-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Hello All,

I own a 53 PA 22/20 and am trying to remove the rear seat. I've got the top portion out, but don't see how to remove the metal framework for the lower portion. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

cgfyl
07-28-2012, 08:35 AM
I have the same plane, It should be really easy to remove! The bottom simply hooks into the frame, lift the seat portion from the rear lifting it up forward. Once the bottom seat is removed the metal fame simply gets pushed forward from the leg on the left side. The frame attaches at three points. Floor, right wall and left frame behind the door frame.

SuperPacer
07-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Planeman,
As cgfyl states, the metal frame is attached at each end and at the floor, the ends of the tubing frame have small "KeyStone" like fittings that insert into holes in brackets and then push down (in the case of the right side and rear attach point), in the case of the front bottom point, it goes into a hole in the floor and pushes rearward to lock in. I typically pop the rear, then side and then the floor and you will have it in your hand!! It may take a "bump or two" to get it loose if it has been installed for a while.

Enjoy the day
John Utah Pacer

planeman2010
07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks, guys. I knew it had to be something simple, but I didn't want to push or pull anything too hard. Apparently the rear seat has been in for a while and may be stuck a little bit.

On another note, I flew my Pacer this morning, taking off at around 7:20 AM. Field elevation is 6,950 MSL, and I climbed up to approx. 10,000 MSL and flew around in the beautiful Sacramento Mountains of southern NM for about an hour. So nice!

scottf
06-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I bought a PA22 yesterday and was trying to remove the back seat. I was able to easily remove the seat cushion, and I have read the manual. I got the rear (horizontal bar) keyhole/socket "disengaged". Is the only other thing the floor keyhole? I pulled forward on the support bar leg but it did not easily pop loose. Am I missing something or does it just need a tap with a wood block or something?

Thanks!

Scott

Rick-CAS
06-02-2013, 10:49 PM
There is also a key hole on the right side at the end of the tube. A little tap to move the floor key out should get the rest out. That tube is not the easiest to remove at your first go at it. You will think it won't come out. The same for the first time you install it you will get two of the three in easily. Carpet installation can cause a lot of the problem around the floor hole.

Stephen
06-03-2013, 01:02 AM
I have modified my rear seat, so that I can get it in and out in a few minutes. I normally fly without my rear seat and only put it in when I carry more than one passenger. Welcome to the shortwingers.

deandayton
06-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Three keyholes total. First the rear keyhole, tap the tube in the up direction. Next the floor keyhole, tap in the forward direction. Finally the side keyhole, I think you tap up, but it may be forward.

scottf
06-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the help all!

Scott

Glen Geller
06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
It's even harder removing the rear seat if the palne is equipped with the aux fuel tank, which is sort of encased by the seat frame. When I take out the back seat for camping etc, I re-install the lower frame as a forward retaining bar, and lay a fitted panel of thin plywood and carpeting over the tank to avoid damaging it with the camping gear. About two pounds, probably a bit less than seat parts were.
One part I really dislike is the lacing cord holding the top of the sling to the upper frame member in front of the hat shelf. Really a bear to get in and out. I plan on making a new sling (oh dear wifey with the awesome sewing machine, are you listening?) We'll install velcro strips to hold the seat back to the sling. Then when we want to remove the back seat, just swing the bottom cushion up and out, rip the velcro-attached seat back out, pop the frame and slide it out of the sleeve at the bottom of the sling. Then just roll up the sling and stow it on the hat shelf.

scottf
06-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Got the back seat in and out tonight, no problem after having a little confidence and know for sure how it worked.

When looking to buy, I did look at a plane with the aux tank, see what you mean. It really fits in that space like a glove.