PDA

View Full Version : Pacer landing gear geometry

hobrecht
09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I am new to this group and have not had anyone respond to these questions from the Short Wing Piper Club :cry:. So, I hope someone will respond here.

I am in the market for a PA-22/20. I have my eye on one for sale, and when I inspected it, both main landing gear tires were splayed out when the aircraft was sitting level and empty. Is this normal?? Also, when we flew it I noticed the pilot's landings were quite bouncy, almost PIO's!. If the bungees are worn out, are these some of the symptoms?

Thanks to anyone who will respond.

Holliday Obrecht

Bob Mac
09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Bungees DO wear out and that (in my experience) would certainly contribute to the situation that you describe. I have replaced some that were only 3 years old. My experience with my own airplanes is that with good bungees even bad landings (which I do often) are not "bouncy".

Steve Pierce
09-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Look at where the gear goes into the bottom of the fuselage. If the fairings are sticking down the bungees are sagging and should be replaced. You can also lift up on a lift strut and the gear will come back to it's normal position.

Frank Green
09-20-2012, 06:45 AM
There are plenty of threads on this site of opinions on what cord combos work best on which gear. Do a search and read thru them with out going into it again here first. You could have the wrong cords on it.

Steve Pierce
09-20-2012, 06:56 AM
You can see the left gear fairing hanging down in this picture. Sometime this is from turning hard and you just lift at the lift strut and it pops back into place but if these hange down when the airplane is taxied straight they probably need replacing.

hobrecht
09-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Look at where the gear goes into the bottom of the fuselage. If the fairings are sticking down the bungees are sagging and should be replaced. You can also lift up on a lift strut and the gear will come back to it's normal position.

Thanks very much to everyone who responded to my post. I now have a clear understanding of what to look for.
Holliday Obrecht

MN_flyer1
09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I would consider them a replacement item every 5 years or sooner.

Tim

Jinkers
09-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Hobrecht, I would also have the gear alignment checked on any 22/20 that you are considering buying. If you search the forums for "alignment" you will find some good descriptions of how and why to do that.